Diabetes Among The Non Overweight

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the information available it does appear to need a subscription to view the whole article, @lindisfel
Thanks, I did think the article was rather brief and unhelpful, but I didn't realise that was just the abstract.

Reactions: Pipp

lindisfel

Expert
I am under-weight, but have absolutely no African or Asian blood. I am obliged to eat very low carb to keep my bg anything like. I do find this situation frustrating, as people like me seem to be invisible.
I can sympathize, I am a tall guy with big bones and my BMI has been between 22 and 23 the last two years and I can't get out of the prediabetic range.
D.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was a normal weight when diagnosed T2 went on lower carbs than I had eaten and lost weight that I did not need to. No reason my doctor could find as to why I had T2 but it was not a surprise because I knew I had a glucose intolerance. I never ate a lot of sugar foods did not have a sweet tooth or starchy carbs never ate rice or pasta and just had small amounts of bread and potatoes maybe once or twice a week and never overweight in my life. I come from the generation who always cooked meals from fresh and did not have junk much processed or takeaway foods yet still developed T2 eventually.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep its all there.. click on download the full text.
Seems to be saying that it's the visceral fat build up which we know is true then goes on to put the blame on the usuals of processed carbs, sat fat and the combining of carbs and fat like most food studies. Doesn't seem to look at sweetened drink intake (although it probably should and I skimmed through it) and I'm guessing the HFCS is a major component in Asia unlike the UK where it is not used.
So I guess the upshot is whilst they aren't fat they have visceral fat caused by moving to a more Western style SAD diet. Pretty much what most of us say here too. Back to eating proper food not processed junk and they should all be ok again...drink as well as food.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was a normal weight when diagnosed T2 went on lower carbs than I had eaten and lost weight that I did not need to. No reason my doctor could find as to why I had T2 but it was not a surprise because I knew I had a glucose intolerance. I never ate a lot of sugar foods did not have a sweet tooth or starchy carbs never ate rice or pasta and just had small amounts of bread and potatoes maybe once or twice a week and never overweight in my life. I come from the generation who always cooked meals from fresh and did not have junk much processed or takeaway foods yet still developed T2 eventually.
Maybe the weight loss was from the visceral fat..
Edit to add like Richard Doughty from the Guardian.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to be saying that it's the visceral fat build up which we know is true
With a BMI of about 16, I just don't believe that I have too much visceral fat. This is what I mean when I complain that skinny diabetics are invisible.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am under-weight, but have absolutely no African or Asian blood. I am obliged to eat very low carb to keep my bg anything like. I do find this situation frustrating, as people like me seem to be invisible.
I am just the same
Carol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With a BMI of about 16, I just don't believe that I have too much visceral fat. This is what I mean when I complain that skinny diabetics are invisible.
But as none of your medics have ever sent you for a scan I'm guessing? Then I'm afraid you can't be sure.. ask for one and see?
You have nothing to lose..

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I did watch a program that said that we can thank our Neanderthal relatives for some of the diseases we carry around, maybe that's it. And we all have African blood, no matter how distant because that's where we all originate.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure for many Type 2's like myself the main risk factor is age. We don't search for a cause for deteriorating eyesight or hearing, we don't expect older people to compete with the young at sports. The human body wears out with age and while we try to do the best we can to offset the effects, the failing ability to control blood glucose maybe, for some of us, just something we have to accept.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep its all there.. click on download the full text.
Seems to be saying that it's the visceral fat build up which we know is true then goes on to put the blame on the usuals of processed carbs, sat fat and the combining of carbs and fat like most food studies. Doesn't seem to look at sweetened drink intake (although it probably should and I skimmed through it) and I'm guessing the HFCS is a major component in Asia unlike the UK where it is not used.
So I guess the upshot is whilst they aren't fat they have visceral fat caused by moving to a more Western style SAD diet. Pretty much what most of us say here too. Back to eating proper food not processed junk and they should all be ok again...drink as well as food.
Thanks for the precis, @bulkbiker.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Night all 7.0 tonight my stomach has been acting up all day again today I know it sounds crazy but I’m lying in bed with a hot water bottle on my stomach one of the only things that seems to ease the pain hope you have a good night all

lindisfel

Expert
Most of T2D action concentrates on the obese.
Apart from glib statements that the skinny are fat inside, its causes in the slim seem shrouded in mystery.

I did hear a piece by Ivor Cummings about the rare condition where some T2D's had no subcutaneous fat and therefore no fat stores and therefore had bad T2D. But it is not most of us.

My glucose intolerance is probably caused by an adrenal tumour, as is my htn, and age, as Mr Pots says.

But in this we are in a position where we have to compensate as best we can because there seems to be no protocol that we can go to.

D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexandra100