Diabetes and cholesterol

humaira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, diet is the key. Exercise is good for our general health, but only a tiny part of weight loss. As the saying goes .... you can't out run a bad diet. So, have you a plan for a new eating regime, such as greatly reducing your carbohydrate consumption, or trying a very low calorie diet (800 calories a day) or something else?

Yea looking into the low cal high fat diet ..seems interesting

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Do I read this right, this graph shows total cholesterol in men only?

That's right, I wonder if the BHF and WHO have one for women? It's also getting a bit old (2005). There is more up to date data but not presented in such a decent fashion.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That's right, I wonder if the BHF and WHO have one for women? It's also getting a bit old (2005). There is more up to date data but not presented in such a decent fashion.

I'm no expert, is that considered decent? Plus, they've taken TC and include only males, I must be missing something because those two details tell me absolutely nothing. I am not male neither do I live anywhere near Yemen or Bulgaria, to me it is meaningless.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm no expert, is that considered decent? Plus, they've taken TC and include only males, I must be missing something because those two details tell me absolutely nothing. I am not male neither do I live anywhere near Yemen or Bulgaria, to me it is meaningless.

And I can't make head nor tail of it. :arghh:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Yes, you may lower your cholesterol by following the DASH diet which, as you know, promotes a low fat/no fat element and promotes wholegrains and fruit. Your cholesterol may come down but your Type 2 Diabetes will worsen thereby negating any benefit, if there were any benefit at all to lowering total cholesterol in the first place.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aside from all the good advice you have received so far, the bottom line is the Dr can want you to take a statin but you have to make an informed decision if you want to take a statin.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: humaira

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, you may lower your cholesterol by following the DASH diet which, as you know, promotes a low fat/no fat element and promotes wholegrains and fruit. Your cholesterol may come down but your Type 2 Diabetes will worsen thereby negating any benefit, if there were any benefit at all to lowering total cholesterol in the first place.
Dash diet is what the mainstream reccomend for hypertension not high cholesterol
As with most dietary advice theres a danger of “baby and bathwater” syndrome - I personally dont agree with much of the mainstream advice on reducing cholesterol through diet or find it very helpful - the exception is the advice to up soluble fibre, which doesnt have to come from high carb food sources

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dash diet is what the mainstream reccomend for hypertension not high cholesterol
As with most dietary advice theres a danger of “baby and bathwater” syndrome - I personally dont agree with much of the mainstream advice on reducing cholesterol through diet or find it very helpful - the exception is the advice to up soluble fibre, which doesnt have to come from high carb food sources

I am aware that DASH is recommended for hypertension. If you click on @Tannith link you will see it also says that the diet is good for cholesterol levels and as Tannith gave the link in answer to a direct Title question that includes cholesterol I answered wrt cholesterol.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are people that what we eat does not affect our cholesterol levels much at all - I am one of those. So are close family members. I had slightly higher cholesterol levels before I got diabetes, compared to now after years on a high fat diet low carb diet/keto, basically unchanged. Before I got diabetes I had gone low fat (and high carb) in order to deal with the high cholesterol. Then the LDL went up and the HDL went down! And that was when I discovered that high carb low fat diets affect about 50% of people that way. That was my first 'there is something wrong here' response. Now, of course, I use Ancel Keys face as a dart board. (Just kidding on that one!)

Yes, apart from me being a woman, and there is evidence that statins does not improve CVD outcomes for women, I was indeed prescribed statins on diagnosis of diabetes. I didn't take the statins, and read up heaps on it, and discovered the whole large and fluffy versus small and hard LDL particles new theory about cholesterol. And I decided to watch my close family members' health history (who are super agers) with the high cholesterol. As will not surprise you the serious health issues they have are carbohydrate related.

So I ignore the cholesterol levels, and focus on triglycerides, which is how your body deals with the fat you are eating (and mine are good). And I absolutely ignore the dietary advice about saturated fat, and definitely the suggestion all of us eat more grains and fruit.

I concentrate on physical fitness and having good muscles rather than on cholesterol levels in order to counter the CVD 'complication' threat.