Dasc_study

Who are we?
We are a research group exploring the effects of self-compassion and mindfulness on the lives of people with Type II Diabetes.

What are we looking for?
As part of our research we are conducting a long-term study, involving participation in an online survey with follow-up at regular intervals. We are looking to recruit participants who have been diagnosed with type II diabetes by their GP.

What is the study about?
It is less known that many people with Type II Diabetes experience psychological effects as well as physical effects. Mental health can be severely affected and it is this study’s aim to investigate treatments for this. We are hoping to uncover some answers through our research.

How can you help?
If you or anyone you know has Type II Diabetes please fill out our 15-20 minute survey using the following link: https://bit.ly/2PkfTnk

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
How long term and how many questionnaires?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to complete it - it is really off the wall - do people actually spend time assessing themselves and what happens to them to the nth degree as is suggested?

Reactions: Robbity

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried to complete it - it is really off the wall - do people actually spend time assessing themselves and what happens to them to the nth degree as is suggested?
Not really, only if they have compassion for themselves.;)

Reactions: jjraak

Dasc_study

The study will last one year

This is a year long study and will require participants to complete the same questionnaire 3 times throughout the year; at the start of the year, at 6 months and at the end of the year. I hope this clears up your queries. Do not hesitate to contact us with any other enquiries.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Commenting as I go along. Copy and paste doesn't seem to work properly.

These items deal with ways you've been coping with the stress in your life since you found out you have type II diabetes. There are many ways to try to deal with problems. These items ask what you've been doing to cope with this one. Obviously, different people deal with things in different ways, but I'm interested in how you've tried to deal with it. Each item says something about a particular way of coping. I want to know to what extent you've been doing what the item says. How much or how frequently. Don't answer on the basis of whether it seems to be working or not—just whether or not you're doing it. Use these response choices. Try to rate each item separately in your mind from the others. Make your answers as true FOR YOU as you can.
(1) is "I haven't been doing this at all".
(5) is "None at all"
At the moment I can't see the difference between the two answers.If there is a difference my answers may not be accurate

Edit:
There were questions about how you were affected by your medication but not what your medication was.
Made me wonder if it should have included "have you considered stopping and/or stopped taking one or more medications because of the side effects".
Drifting off topic for the survey, though, I assume.

Last edited:

Amy13056

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would love for one of these to be done for type 1 because I've seen so many others, as well as myself, who struggle with anxiety as part of our condition

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have gone back and reread the questions - I really cannot understand such propositions as 'when I see aspects of myself that I don't like I get down on myself." - how do I go about seeing aspects of myself? What does getting down on myself entail? How do I know if I am experiencing suffering? What is meant by being down and out in this context? What is emotional pain? Is it normal to consider oneself flawed or inadequate?
I find the assumptions make the questions nonsensical.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well for me it was the 20 years of lethargy and fatigue due to insulin resistance before diagnosis that caused the problems. It's hard to be compassionate to yourself when others judge you because you are fat and can't do much due to IR

Reactions: Barb McD

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have gone back and reread the questions - I really cannot understand such propositions as 'when I see aspects of myself that I don't like I get down on myself." - how do I go about seeing aspects of myself? What does getting down on myself entail? How do I know if I am experiencing suffering? What is meant by being down and out in this context? What is emotional pain? Is it normal to consider oneself flawed or inadequate?
I find the assumptions make the questions nonsensical.

Thanks @Resurgam for saving me the time in reading it

Reactions: Barb McD

Barb McD

“Remember you have been criticising yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens”

Louise Hay

Self compassion

Reactions: KK123

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own decisions on these things, but yes, I certainly agree, (thanks to a brilliant therapist a few years ago) that to treat oneself with compassion is a necessary trait that needs nurturing.
Something that confuses me a little about this research is that the questionnaire is to be repeated at 6 and 12 months, but there is no instruction on how to develop self compassion.
Would you mind explaining the rationale for that, @Dasc_study ?

Reactions: Robbity
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
“Remember you have been criticising yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens”

Louise Hay

Self compassion

Well said @Barb McD, love this quote, thank you for being positive too.

Dasc_study

Any thoughts on this @Dasc_study ?
Thank you
Looking into self-compassion in people with type I diabetes would also be very interesting. However given the difference between the management and other aspects of type I and type II we have decided to only focus on type II so that our results our consistent and representative. I do hope other studies in the future explore depression and anxiety in type I diabetes as well.

Dasc_study

I make my own decisions on these things, but yes, I certainly agree, (thanks to a brilliant therapist a few years ago) that to treat oneself with compassion is a necessary trait that needs nurturing.
Something that confuses me a little about this research is that the questionnaire is to be repeated at 6 and 12 months, but there is no instruction on how to develop self compassion.
Would you mind explaining the rationale for that, @Dasc_study ?

Thank you for your questions, we are happy to provide the answer.
Our study is looking for the change in self-compassion and how it would interact with psychological and physiological wellbeing. As the link between self-compassion and wellbeing is not clearly understood. This study aims to understand this link. At the end of the study we will provide participants information about the results of the study and if self-compassion is found to be helpful, we will also inform participants how to develop their self-compassion.
I hope this clears up any confusion.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your questions, we are happy to provide the answer.
Our study is looking for the change in self-compassion and how it would interact with psychological and physiological wellbeing. As the link between self-compassion and wellbeing is not clearly understood. This study aims to understand this link. At the end of the study we will provide participants information about the results of the study and if self-compassion is found to be helpful, we will also inform participants how to develop their self-compassion.
I hope this clears up any confusion.
Thank you

I was, however, confused as to how an participant would know what ‘self compassion’ entails. I was wondering how self compassion is identified?

Are you saying that you hope to be able to identify changes in this trait through comparing responses individuals make over the study period?