Diabetes and depression

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, life might not have been as you envisaged it, but dont let your dreams die.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
If you are able to stay on your side that's great, but a person can still have sleep apnoea while sleeping on their side, so if you think there's a chance you might have it, ask to be referred for a sleep study. This test can also pick up other sleep disorders that might be contributing to depression and other health problems.
If the depression is bad, I can zone out and sleep for a couple of hours and will usually wake up refreshed. I almost always sleep soundly unless I'm sleeping too much. The effects of the sexual assaults I had as a kid leave me very suspicious and nervous overall. One psych test I had diagnosed me as PTSD.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If the depression is bad, I can zone out and sleep for a couple of hours and will usually wake up refreshed. I almost always sleep soundly unless I'm sleeping too much. The effects of the sexual assaults I had as a kid leave me very suspicious and nervous overall. One psych test I had diagnosed me as PTSD.
So sorry to hear about that :( I've met a lot of people over the years who were sexually assaulted as kids and later diagnosed with PTSD. I've heard PTSD described as a normal reaction to an abnormal situation. I hope you are able to find treatments or therapies that will help.

Reactions: 3 people

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I'm a big fella, and I almost always get white smoked. I attribute that to my size. I had a good psychologist who helped me straighten a few things out. Bless her. But the shrink was abusive. I'm far too nervous to work. So.... I just have to do the best with what I have. My meds are covered thankfully. Socializing is almost impossible but getting out and being physically active helps keep me focused. Hey, Thanks for asking. I got some nice moral support from another gal here too. and there are two closed forums where I can go and let off steam.

Reactions: 3 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had Type 1 Diabetes for 7 going on 8 years and have suffered with depression for 3 years. They have never given me any medication for it but over the years ive learnt FOCUS ON YOURSELF, i used to focus on everyone else try and impress everyone else before thinking about ,myself and it makes it so much worse! and If you want to shout and scream then shout and scream. If you want to cry then go ahead and cry and never feel like you need to explain yourself and surround yourself with positive people and people who love you! It gets better but it does get better xx

Reactions: 5 people