Diabetes and Gout

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
grant so true folks think its limited to just toes. mine was feet ankles and knees. chucking in tendinitis there were times when life was very unpleasant. uncontrolled it was lasting weeks. when one attack was ending it would start in another.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All very interesting. I feel I have never quite got rid of the problem though I am on Allopurinol 300g. When the pain swelling reduce after colchicine I still have continuous issues with stiffness and lameness. This has been going on since mid Dec the same time as my diabetes diagnosis. All it took was an emergency stop in the car to click my heel and reinstate the hidiousness of another big episode.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently experiencing my first attack of gout in over 3 years. This time on the elbow. Purines are the enemy, and it is surprising where they are found. I always put mine down to drinking too much beer or whatever, until I notice I always had an attack in May each year. The culprite? Asparagus! It is all part of the 'Metabolic Syndrome' I have to say I am a bit irritated, but plenty of water and apple cider vinegar seems to be doing the trick of reducing the uric acid sloshing around

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really cant put mine down to anything. My uric acid level test after Christmas was really low 2.6 but since then I have been unable to walk/drive except for a few days. I Take the meds and the runaway train continues. Good job the Diabetes got me distracted!

Happyhomelands

I can't comment on gout but the achilles tendonitis is something I've experienced. For me the short answer was dehydration. When I upped water consumption it went away. A family member who is a surgeon strongly suggested this to me, I didn't feel I was dehydrated but complied to humour her. She was so right in my case. May be worth a go.
Well done for losing so much weight. Good luck with the gout.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was defo interesting to read Boo. I will try not to overdo the meat portions or other protein until I get usedto lchf diet but I find it hard to do the hf bit as I dont like cream or yogurt.

Hi - high fat doesn't mean you have to add extra fats- for example eggs are 60% fat!, so for example an omelette made with a small knob of butter and an egg would be an 80% fat quite easily.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might find the frozen berries and cherries mix from Lidl, or similar, helps with gout - it is the cherries which do the business apparently. It is 6.9 percent carbs. Something in cherries assists in the removal of uric acid.
Mmmm frozens, god i love cherries. I'm gonna eat my waycto space in the freeze and get some. I hope that they're
not sweetened?

Reactions: Incyb