Diabetes and Gout

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
I was diagnosed before Christmas after bleed behind eye though my eyesight hasnt changed. Since diagnosed (HBA1C 53 cholestrel 8). Am due in clinic again early March and since I have lost a stone and followed lchf diet inspired by you all I am hoping for a better result. Havent got a meter yet but will.
I have been plagued by gout in my ankle and achilles almost continuously. When I dont have it my achilles is swollen and hurts and I limp. What I am wondering is if my achillesis could be damaged by gout or diabetes. Also had distal pancretectomy in 2012 and take Creon with every meal.
What questions do I need to ask at next review. I refused Metformin and statin so far and got raised eyebrows!
Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find the frozen berries and cherries mix from Lidl, or similar, helps with gout - it is the cherries which do the business apparently. It is 6.9 percent carbs. Something in cherries assists in the removal of uric acid.

Reactions: caius2x8 and Incyb

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Resurgam good idea. Glad to get a reply its only taken me 2 months to get the courage to post here lol!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was defo interesting to read Boo. I will try not to overdo the meat portions or other protein until I get usedto lchf diet but I find it hard to do the hf bit as I dont like cream or yogurt.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about crisp roasted chicken thighs? I have a Tefal Actify - cooks with hot air - I toss in a pack of chicken thighs and set it for 45 minutes - the smell is terrible - so enticing!!! When done I take out the chicken and put in button mushrooms - the skins do tend to mysteriously evaporate at this point, leaving the chicken bare, but still juicy.
I did the LC diet for about 30 years before experiencing gout in one toe so I am not all that sure it was the cause.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey PenguinMum, welcome and congrats on going the route of lchf and losing a stone! Don't know how many eggs you are eating but that is one form of protein you may want to cut way back on or eliminate until you get the gout checked out as that is one culprit for gout. As far as the fat intake, full fat cheeses, avocados, nuts - especially macadamias - my new BFF:) Hope that helps! When you go to see your Doc, remember you are your best advocate and they can only advise, not force any treatment protocol on you, so if you want to go without meds for a bit longer due to the success you are having - go for it!!Blessings/L

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for welcome and suggestions. Chicken thighs and mushrooms sound delish and will do that for sure. I do eat eggs up to maybe 8 per week surprised they affect gout havent heard that before. Egg and spinach omlette is my perfect dinner when in a hurry. Lindijanice thanks for the faith re resisting drugs and I will stick to that for time being!
Nobody commented on whether my pancretectomy needs further investigating guess I put too many subjects under “Gout” heading. Inwould hate to find out in a year that my pancreas is the culprit when damage has been done!

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tart cherry supplements really really help with gout. Dr Jason Fung gives it to patients who need it in the Intensive Dietary Management program. (I'm a distance member.) You can buy it on Amazon.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is possible to 'cure' yourself of gout for pennies.
I used to suffer increasingly painful bouts of gout, where I had to shout at the dog not to come near me, for fear of him touching my inflamed toe.
That was, until I found this website
https://sites.google.com/site/icuredmygout/
I've had no recurrence now for several years.
For a while I took an occasional night-time dose to keep it away. Discovering that those night-time doses coincided with not needing to get up in the night, I switched to nightly.

When you see gout as a product of acidity, then taking something that reduces acidity makes sense (same applies for nocturnal need to urinate)
Geoff.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of people on here say that when BG is under control cholstral levels improve too. This is all a learning curve in less than 3 months and I want a chance to try my best to avoid drugs with nasty side effects. Obviously in the future I might have to rethink that.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why refuse statins? My numbers were awful and now they are perfect
1. Your reply assumes your 'numbers' were a problem, and that reducing them is a 'good thing'. GPs etc may believe this but it's outdated dogma. Modern thinking cardiologists, engineers etc are rejecting it.
2. GPs etc deny the level of side-effects from statins. Everyone must make their own choice on taking them.
Geoff

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
gout has nothing to do with cholesterol dont get why your mentioning statins. gout is the result of uric acid. they waited 10 years before they gave me allopurinol and colchicine. colchicine will stop an attack within a day. a hell of a lot better than allowing chronic attacks to run its course tophi were developing.unless youve had an attack you cant imagine the pain.

James13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had gout since 1990, I used to have several bad attacks a year. I agree with paulus regarding the pain. It's well known to be the most excruciating form of arthritis. I have had brain surgeries for increased fluid in the skull, but nothing compares to the pain of an acute gout attack.

I was getting the attacks so often the Doc put me on allopurinol in 2004. Once I'd found the right level for me (400g daily) I've not had a twinge in 14 years. And I've never missed a dose as I remember the pain all too well :bigtears:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
For further interest perhaps:

One of the problems with poor kidneys is that the body's defences are adversely affected. This is because the kidneys control several functions including the manufacturing of blood and bone cells. As my condition worsened I began to have regular attacks of gout which could appear in the toes of either foot, or in the arch, in either hand, in the chin, or worst of all in the sternum, which would render breathing, sneezing or laughing an ordeal. On one occasion I had it in the foot, elbow and left hand.

It's like having a red hot knife pushed into whatever joint...