Diabetes and Heart Health.

C

catherinecherub

Read this article and felt it was all doom and gloom for diabetics.

"Avoiding cigarettes, medicating to lower bad cholesterol and blood pressure still leaves diabetics with a Heart Attack risk equivalent to that of a non diabetic who has already had a heart attack".

They do mention that these treatments may be ineffective and harmful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/healt ... ref=health

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As the lady at the end of the article states, it is all about 'moderation'. I think it is important to include plenty of fruit in a healthy diet, but it is also important to include a rich variety of different types, same with vegtables. I overcome sugar swings by including fruit with my main meals as a dessert, and have had good results so far! :D

Nigel

Blue Cat

Is it really true that as a type 2 diabetic I have the same risk of a heart attack as a non-diabetic who's already had one?I am feeling very low about all this, frightened and overwhelmed.
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago, though I think I was diabetic for some time before that. I have never smoked, have always eaten healthily and have a job where I am active and constantly on my feet, though I know I don't exercise enough and I am overweight, though not obese.
My control is good now, but I do take lots of tablets. I've taken Actos (pioglitazone) 45mg per day for the last year and have put on 1.5 stone with it. The hospital doctor says this is acceptable for good control, but it's quite depressing and nothing fits any more.
I read this forum frequently but have never contributed before. :(

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The risks are particularly for poorly controlled diabetics - & as probably most are encouraged to eat lots of starchy carbs, & not to test, the risks will be higher than they need be.

You can minimise the risks by getting your HbA1c below 6, & your fasting readings also below 6, & your 2 hour after meal readings below 8 & preferably below 7. That can only be done by active management & regular testing.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Blue Cat said:
Is it really true that as a type 2 diabetic I have the same risk of a heart attack as a non-diabetic who's already had one?I am feeling very low about all this, frightened and overwhelmed.
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago, though I think I was diabetic for some time before that. I have never smoked, have always eaten healthily and have a job where I am active and constantly on my feet, though I know I don't exercise enough and I am overweight, though not obese.
My control is good now, but I do take lots of tablets. I've taken Actos (pioglitazone) 45mg per day for the last year and have put on 1.5 stone with it. The hospital doctor says this is acceptable for good control, but it's quite depressing and nothing fits any more.
I read this forum frequently but have never contributed before. :(

Hello Blue Cat. :)

I think that it is as Ian says and if you are working on your numbers and trying to exercise and do all the right things you are in a much better position. 8)

By the way your profile says it is only 1 year since diagnosis so perhaps it would be a good idea to make it say the 5 years it has been. :D

Blue Cat

I am interested in the low carb option. I have indeed been told that good carbs are not a problem and I should make them a part of each meal. I take metformin and find if I don't eat a reasonable amount of carbs it has a bad effect on my system, particularly at midday meal, and I will spend the rest of the day rushing to the loo and with gut cramps.
When you say low carb, how low do you mean? Can you describe a typical day of meals for you?
My HBA s generally 7 but I think next time will be higher, as my morning blood test was usually 7 but is now regularly 8 or even 9 and my diet hasn't changed. I take pioglitazone, metformin (850x3) and gliclazide. The blood sugar was stable but is creeping up and I've been told I will eventually have to take insulin. I'd like to avoid this if possible.
Thanks.

Blue Cat

Thanks, Synonym.
I'm new to this and can't figure out how to change the details on my profile. But I'll keep looking.
It's such a relief to have somewhere to talk about all this. Who else could I ask?! :)

Dobbs

hi Blue Cat,
people's opinions vary on this subject (understatement of the year) but I myself have had very good results with reducing carbs. I haven't cut them out altogether, but greatly reduced them. My morning numbers are usually in the mid or low 6s and my last HB1Ac was 5.8.
Personally I feel that if you're doing what you believe are the best things to control this condition, with clear dietary choices, not too much alcohol, plenty of healthy exercise or at least walking, then I myself don't worry about all this stuff about increased risk of heart trouble - we're all going to die of something sooner or later. (Preferably later.)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello again Blue Cat :)

I have cut out the starchy carbs and eat to my meter to keep my BG levels down. I eat fish, meat, cheese and eggs and eat veggies of all kinds (but avoiding potatoes and keeping roots to the minimum) and fruit but avoiding bananas and keeping other higher carbs to the minimum.

Now that I have become accustomed to the values of my food I don’t necessarily count the carbs but do watch the numbers on my meter. I use the Collins gem Carb Counter book to help me and whilst it may not be the ultimate it has worked for me. Only you can decide with the help of your meter and carb counter what your body can manage or what it needs.

I don’t look at ‘treats’ or ‘replacing’ any foods which are no longer on my ‘eating list’ as I am now eating differently to what is termed a ‘normal’ healthy diet. You say “I have indeed been told that good carbs are not a problem and I should make them a part of each meal.” And then you say that although your diet has not changed your numbers are going up and that could be because your body is changing - as it does. Another reason to keep testing and to eat to your meter.

Normal does not fit a body which no longer functions ‘normally’ – a hard fact but true! However, we all have to decide for ourselves what we are prepared to do and what we are prepared to risk.

C

catherinecherub

This article is not just about blood sugar control.
It mentions the associated risks from BP medication and cholesterol lowering medication.
Ideally we should have a management programme based on us as individuals and not just lump us all together as diabetics.
We take one pill and some of us get side effects and some don't. A classic is potassium levels as mentioned in the article. Some BP medication will lower potassium in some of us and not others.
More time would be needed with our team and more tests carried out and so although I think personally that this is the answer I don't think I will hold my breath as it "aint gonna happen any time soon".

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Blue Cat said:
Thanks, Synonym.
I'm new to this and can't figure out how to change the details on my profile. But I'll keep looking.
It's such a relief to have somewhere to talk about all this. Who else could I ask?! :)

BC.
If you go into 'User Control Panel'........ (top left under Board Index)
Then click on 'Profile' tab.
Click on 'Edit Profile' tab.
Make the entries you want......then click on 'Submit.'

All should then be up to date and correct.

Ken

Blue Cat

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I feel better for talking to you. I'll have a think about how to change my carbs in the diet. I'm also just about to read that article that started the discussion.
I'll comment again later. You're quite right, there's no "normal" in all this. But it's certainly time to review and change for me. :)