Diabetes and liver problems

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm... I was googling sarsaparilla and decided to pass. There was something about kidneys ( I have / had stones) and some other contraindications but I don't remember if gallbladder was included.

I've been taking 3-4 day after just one the first two days. It has stopped or at least reigned in my DP. As well as my morning rise. I'm always going to take one before bed and one with bf. You may not be taking enough. Is pass on the sarsaparilla for now and just stick with artichoke. See if one before bed and one with bf helps. One is usually for recommended for maintenance but when addressing an issue more are usually required. I can tell my liver isn't detoxing a bit.

Funny about the hunger as I'm not hungry. I just eat because my insulin runs out as lantus is no where to be seen. I used to start rising around two hours and now it's more like 3. I always needed a dose an hour after bf to stop the morning rise. Now my initial dose is dropping me a bit and I don't start rising for 2 hours. This is happening for 4 days ever since I upped my dose. If you have live tissues I would up yours rather than take a maintainence dose.

Is that your normal bf? I would be hungry with the carbs in the cottage cheese. I smash and roll up avo in chicken or turkey

At 7.2 I think I'd be hungry. Sometimes I just FEEL like I need insulin and test. Most often I need a small correction and soon feel better. I also prebolus 20 min before bf.

Is your insulin requirements still lower even if you have to up it a bit ?

It is nice comparing. I was wondering how you were getting on.

I think you're right - I'll leave the sarsaparilla for now and up the artichoke. Until this week my early reading was around 5, rising to around 6.5-7. Humilin S before breakfast would see a mid day reading of about 5-6 and then dropping to about 4.5 by about 7 or 8 pm. This was on the reduced level of insulin. Before low carbs my readings were always 9+ on 30 units of insulin 3 times a day. My normal breakfast usually includes egg and possibly bacon or sausage but when I'm rushing, as this morning, it's whatever I can grab quickly that has low carbs and doesn't take any preparation. Yesterday it was 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon plus tea and I was hungry before I finished my cup of tea.

Ann

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you're right - I'll leave the sarsaparilla for now and up the artichoke. Until this week my early reading was around 5, rising to around 6.5-7. Humilin S before breakfast would see a mid day reading of about 5-6 and then dropping to about 4.5 by about 7 or 8 pm. This was on the reduced level of insulin. Before low carbs my readings were always 9+ on 30 units of insulin 3 times a day. My normal breakfast usually includes egg and possibly bacon or sausage but when I'm rushing, as this morning, it's whatever I can grab quickly that has low carbs and doesn't take any preparation. Yesterday it was 2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon plus tea and I was hungry before I finished my cup of tea.

Ann
Is this hunger thing new to artichoke?
I don't do well with protein much in the morning. It raises me and requires lots more insulin. I eat a very small bf in the morning. A small slice of deli chicken with avocado smashes in it and rolled. This doesn't require much insulin and keeps me steady so I don't get hungry. If I don't get bf right the whole day is messed. The morning rise on top of food can st me up for a ravenous day. Admittedly I look at my plate and think really? But again, more insulin coupled with hemorning rise can make me low then up or vice Vera's and that's when I get hungry. Even in normal ranges. If my insulin gets there before my food or my food gets there before insulin I'm ravenous. I pre bolus 20 min before my tiny bf. My weird semi fast haha.

Maybe the artichoke is clearing things and detoxing and you're processing differently. After all the liver stores glucose, glycogen etc. One clear indicator of liver health is the whites of the eye

You're still on lower insulin doses though right?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this hunger thing new to artichoke?
I don't do well with protein much in the morning. It raises me and requires lots more insulin. I eat a very small bf in the morning. A small slice of deli chicken with avocado smashes in it and rolled. This doesn't require much insulin and keeps me steady so I don't get hungry. If I don't get bf right the whole day is messed. The morning rise on top of food can st me up for a ravenous day. Admittedly I look at my plate and think really? But again, more insulin coupled with hemorning rise can make me low then up or vice Vera's and that's when I get hungry. Even in normal ranges. If my insulin gets there before my food or my food gets there before insulin I'm ravenous. I pre bolus 20 min before my tiny bf. My weird semi fast haha.

Maybe the artichoke is clearing things and detoxing and you're processing differently. After all the liver stores glucose, glycogen etc. One clear indicator of liver health is the whites of the eye

You're still on lower insulin doses though right?

Until yesterday I was on 10 or 12 units of insulin before each meal but yesterday was a bad day! My evening reading was 15.1 even though I had upped the insulin before dinner to 20. Levels had been running higher than I liked all day. This morning started out at 6.7 (a bit higher than usual, but OK) rising to 9.2 before breakfast (after 12 units Humilin S - doesn't auger well for the rest of the day) but at 1.20 pm it was 7.3. Breakfast was egg and bacon and tea. No idea if I'll have lunch or not. If I don't the BS might drop below 7 by evening.

I usually try to have a reasonable amount at breakfast but it is always a rush because I have to get everything ready for my husband's carers to come in (7 am and then 10 am) and get the washing going before the next lot is put out.

Got to go - carer coming in. Ann

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Until yesterday I was on 10 or 12 units of insulin before each meal but yesterday was a bad day! My evening reading was 15.1 even though I had upped the insulin before dinner to 20. Levels had been running higher than I liked all day. This morning started out at 6.7 (a bit higher than usual, but OK) rising to 9.2 before breakfast (after 12 units Humilin S - doesn't auger well for the rest of the day) but at 1.20 pm it was 7.3. Breakfast was egg and bacon and tea. No idea if I'll have lunch or not. If I don't the BS might drop below 7 by evening.

I usually try to have a reasonable amount at breakfast but it is always a rush because I have to get everything ready for my husband's carers to come in (7 am and then 10 am) and get the washing going before the next lot is put out.

Got to go - carer coming in. Ann
I'll join you with starting the day out bad. Woke up at 130 (7.1 I think) . That rarely happens but I was up during the night last night and the night before several times and my ears are completely plugged. Hubby is at the end of a two week virus so I'm sure I'm fighting something. I took 1.5 units and ate and I'll take more in an hour or so. I don't like sharp drops so I space them out. I'm not familiar with humalog s. I use humalog. I think S is slower and longer?

I NEED to eat as soon as I get up or I get a substantial rise that doesn't stop until I eat. Sounds like that might be difficult for you with your schedule.

I hope our days get better!! I don't like this rollercoaster.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll join you with starting the day out bad. Woke up at 130 (7.1 I think) . That rarely happens but I was up during the night last night and the night before several times and my ears are completely plugged. Hubby is at the end of a two week virus so I'm sure I'm fighting something. I took 1.5 units and ate and I'll take more in an hour or so. I don't like sharp drops so I space them out. I'm not familiar with humalog s. I use humalog. I think S is slower and longer?

I NEED to eat as soon as I get up or I get a substantial rise that doesn't stop until I eat. Sounds like that might be difficult for you with your schedule.

I hope our days get better!! I don't like this rollercoaster.

Maybe there's something in this virus thing. Although I'm OK my poor old husband has yet another chest infection and is on antibiotics. Perhaps there is something working on me as well.

Stepping back a little - this hunger is not new, so it won't be the artichoke. Before I cut right down on carbs, I was permanently hungry but wouldn't eat (to try to keep the weight down - didn't work of course). I have always had a large appetite, which was encouraged when I was a child - at least once food was freely available again after WW2, and that was mostly starchy food - little, but increasing amounts of sugar; fruit or sweets a very rare treat and meat only once in a while (unless you call Spam meat). So I didn't learn to eat good food, just plenty of processed stuff to fill the empty cavern that was my stomach. Bad habits die hard and my stomach still has to learn the lesson. Carbs make you (me) hungry. Not that I was overweight way back when - skinny in fact. Now I need to lose about 7 stone to get back to where I was when I married. Some chance, but keeping the BS levels down is a fair start - if I can.

Try to stay clear of that virus Kristen - it certainly won't help.

Ann

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At the risk of sounding redundant, do you like avocado? It is the only food in the morning for bf that keeps a spike down. I either just eat it or smash it in a thin slice of deli chicken. Controls my appetite all day. Pre I was always hungry. I hate that feeling. Though I probably wouldn't put it on spam lol. It's fat and fiber are what keeps me steady. When I have eggs and sausage I'm ravenous. I can eat them later in the day. I hypothesize it's the fact that the fat and fiber don't cause an INSULIN spike like protein or carbs do. Then add in the DP morning rise and it's a double whammy. I've tried everything imaginable and landed on avo as by far the best bf. I've tried finding other foods to duplicate it ( I don't know why as I could eat it all day long. Actually I do!). Even with lunch and dinner a nice size wedge tames my hunger. I just had my cholesterol done and it was fantastic. I chalk that up to avo. It's the healthiest natural fat around. Sure keeps bs low and slow. Sure hope you like it!! Maybe it will help your liver too.
I save my meats and veggies for later in the day.

Hope we both survive the hubby virus battle. I'm not so sure I will but will give it another day before going to the doc.

Reactions: rosalindp

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
At the risk of sounding redundant, do you like avocado? It is the only food in the morning for bf that keeps a spike down. I either just eat it or smash it in a thin slice of deli chicken. Controls my appetite all day. Pre I was always hungry. I hate that feeling. Though I probably wouldn't put it on spam lol. It's fat and fiber are what keeps me steady. When I have eggs and sausage I'm ravenous. I can eat them later in the day. I hypothesize it's the fact that the fat and fiber don't cause an INSULIN spike like protein or carbs do. Then add in the DP morning rise and it's a double whammy. I've tried everything imaginable and landed on avo as by far the best bf. I've tried finding other foods to duplicate it ( I don't know why as I could eat it all day long. Actually I do!). Even with lunch and dinner a nice size wedge tames my hunger. I just had my cholesterol done and it was fantastic. I chalk that up to avo. It's the healthiest natural fat around. Sure keeps bs low and slow. Sure hope you like it!! Maybe it will help your liver too.
I save my meats and veggies for later in the day.

Hope we both survive the hubby virus battle. I'm not so sure I will but will give it another day before going to the doc.

Never thought about avocado for breakfast. I do like them, perhaps not all day - one a day is enough for me. Right - that's tomorrow's breakfast sorted!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Never thought about avocado for breakfast. I do like them, perhaps not all day - one a day is enough for me. Right - that's tomorrow's breakfast sorted!
EXCELLLENT!! I'll be waiting to hear.

One a day is what I eat. I eat half at bf and split the other half or something similar. I do get the biggest I can find. Just make sure it's the perfect ripeness. I eat mine with sea salt and lately squished into a small chicken slice. Otherwise I scoop it onto a plate and just salt and eat it with a fork. I used to eat it with small chopped celery but can't be bothered. Hahha

And can't get any quicker or easier with no clean up if you eat it right out of the skin. I do t but certainly can be done

I hope it works for you. Watch your insulin dose. It's mostly fat and fiber so ouldnt require as much insulin as carbs and protein.

I hope it takes the hungry beast!!

Just as a side note I got my test results in the mail with hand written EXCELLENT on my HDL and LDL. I have gotten comments on a report card since high school. ( and excellent was never a word they used haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: rosalindp

lindisfel

Expert
Maybe there's something in this virus thing. Although I'm OK my poor old husband has yet another chest infection and is on antibiotics. Perhaps there is something working on me as well.

Stepping back a little - this hunger is not new, so it won't be the artichoke. Before I cut right down on carbs, I was permanently hungry but wouldn't eat (to try to keep the weight down - didn't work of course). I have always had a large appetite, which was encouraged when I was a child - at least once food was freely available again after WW2, and that was mostly starchy food - little, but increasing amounts of sugar; fruit or sweets a very rare treat and meat only once in a while (unless you call Spam meat). So I didn't learn to eat good food, just plenty of processed stuff to fill the empty cavern that was my stomach. Bad habits die hard and my stomach still has to learn the lesson. Carbs make you (me) hungry. Not that I was overweight way back when - skinny in fact. Now I need to lose about 7 stone to get back to where I was when I married. Some chance, but keeping the BS levels down is a fair start - if I can.

Try to stay clear of that virus Kristen - it certainly won't help.

Ann
That dates us Ann if we remember Spam being in common usage after WWII.
There was the old adage about Spam. "One can go from Spam to ham, but one cannot go from ham to Spam!" When my eldest went to Leeds Uni I remember seeing some wag had written on the toilet wall a little couplet: "I think
therefore I am, I'm pink therefore I'm Spam!" It just put human wisdom its correct perspective. :). Derek

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's still sold - my local chippy does a roaring trade in battered spam fritters... eughhhhh

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For breakfast today I had a whole avocado squashed onto a slice of ham, but it didn't all go on, so finished it with a fork. I actually kept up the Humilin S to 20 units because I ran out of Metformin yesterday and my reading was 10 before eating. Down to 6.2 later on, so that's not so bad. The avocado kept me going until 4 pm when I had some cucumber and yoghurt. Now I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon for more avocados (and some more Metformin). Spicy Chicken and cauliflower for this evening's meal. Yum!

I don't actually mean to miss lunch - it just happens because of the chaotic lifestyle in this house - but I don't really mind not eating at midday.

As a child I was quite happy to eat Spam on the odd occasion, but not often - it was rather like salty sawdust. In later years I transferred my affection to ham - preferably cut to order from the bone. Now I can only get it in plastic packs, so I'd rather make my own cold meats when possible.

I'm pink, but Spam or ham and I don't have a good relationship these days.

Ann

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For breakfast today I had a whole avocado squashed onto a slice of ham, but it didn't all go on, so finished it with a fork. I actually kept up the Humilin S to 20 units because I ran out of Metformin yesterday and my reading was 10 before eating. Down to 6.2 later on, so that's not so bad. The avocado kept me going until 4 pm when I had some cucumber and yoghurt. Now I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon for more avocados (and some more Metformin). Spicy Chicken and cauliflower for this evening's meal. Yum!

I don't actually mean to miss lunch - it just happens because of the chaotic lifestyle in this house - but I don't really mind not eating at midday.

As a child I was quite happy to eat Spam on the odd occasion, but not often - it was rather like salty sawdust. In later years I transferred my affection to ham - preferably cut to order from the bone. Now I can only get it in plastic packs, so I'd rather make my own cold meats when possible.

I'm pink, but Spam or ham and I don't have a good relationship these days.

Ann
Great news right??? You don't usually go down and get hungry. I'm assuming 'kept you going' meant you didn't get hungry? Might have been a good thing you kept insulin the same so you could see what avo does. Looks like it worked out well!!

So easy and no clean up, cooking....
Will this be your new bf??

I don't think I've ever had spam but my dad always ate it. I did love the corned beef hash in a can.

Last night we ended up ea I go out and I can never get insulin straight. Hubby had a bunless burger with bacon and over easy egg. I had a few bites and just ordered sliced avo lol. It was perfect and NO charge!!

My bloods are running higher now. Confirmed I have a virus. Plugged ears, cough, sore throat. My first client today was a nurse and doc husband. Said it's going around and lasts 2 weeks !!! Arg.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news right??? You don't usually go down and get hungry. I'm assuming 'kept you going' meant you didn't get hungry? Might have been a good thing you kept insulin the same so you could see what avo does. Looks like it worked out well!!

So easy and no clean up, cooking....
Will this be your new bf??

I don't think I've ever had spam but my dad always ate it. I did love the corned beef hash in a can.

Last night we ended up ea I go out and I can never get insulin straight. Hubby had a bunless burger with bacon and over easy egg. I had a few bites and just ordered sliced avo lol. It was perfect and NO charge!!

My bloods are running higher now. Confirmed I have a virus. Plugged ears, cough, sore throat. My first client today was a nurse and doc husband. Said it's going around and lasts 2 weeks !!! Arg.

That's right -I didn't get hungry and didn't notice the time passing by what ought to be lunchtime for any normal person. Avocado definitely appears to be a good start to the day.

Readings 9.5 and 11 today though. But Metformin should help with that when I get it. Took 20 Humilin S but since I do appear to be insulin resistant, I couldn't really expect that to help. I also have the beginnings of a cold (no doubt caught from my husband, who got it from his carers) so that will keep the levels up.

Ann

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm happy avo turned out well?? Did you enjoy it? Are you keeping it as standard bf?

My levels are ridiculous for me right now. Hard to bring them down but trying with a few extra injections to correct. It'll get better when I get better. I just shocks me to see those numbers !! The beauty of D. We're already not feeling well and then it has to rear its ugly head. I've at least tripled my insulin during the day and upped lantus as well and still running higher.

I hope you feel better!!!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm happy avo turned out well?? Did you enjoy it? Are you keeping it as standard bf?

My levels are ridiculous for me right now. Hard to bring them down but trying with a few extra injections to correct. It'll get better when I get better. I just shocks me to see those numbers !! The beauty of D. We're already not feeling well and then it has to rear its ugly head. I've at least tripled my insulin during the day and upped lantus as well and still running higher.

I hope you feel better!!!

At the moment, I'm feeling much worse. Painful bones and muscles, sore skin, nauseous, sneezing, sore throat. It's not good and my levels are running about double the (recent) normal levels even though I'm back to recent levels of insulin (30/30/30/72).

I do like avocados and I now have my Metformin and my new supply of avocados (6) to last a few days anyway, and this virus probably will go soon. So I'm hopeful of better times soon.

Get well soon.

Ann

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment, I'm feeling much worse. Painful bones and muscles, sore skin, nauseous, sneezing, sore throat. It's not good and my levels are running about double the (recent) normal levels even though I'm back to recent levels of insulin (30/30/30/72).

I do like avocados and I now have my Metformin and my new supply of avocados (6) to last a few days anyway, and this virus probably will go soon. So I'm hopeful of better times soon.

Get well soon.

Ann
I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Yesterday was horrible and bloods were ridiculous. Today high fast but not as high as yesterday. Bloods better but still a bit higher than normal. Guess we have to ride it out. It's been almost a week for me but crqzy bloods only a few days. Hopefully I'm on the turn around. I hope yours comes soon. So hard to function WITH patience.

Feel better soon!!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Get well soon. @Annb . keep hydrated and keep checking bgs and adjust insulin slowly and not too often. Are you trying to avoid increasing your insulin resistance by not correcting per injection to meter reading?
Hopefully metformin will help you out.
Fbg is your guide to more correction or not.
Just remember to reduce when figures start looking good.
Well done for looking after your diabetes in illness. It's the hardest time to keep on it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Get well soon. @Annb . keep hydrated and keep checking bgs and adjust insulin slowly and not too often. Are you trying to avoid increasing your insulin resistance by not correcting per injection to meter reading?
Hopefully metformin will help you out.
Fbg is your guide to more correction or not.
Just remember to reduce when figures start looking good.
Well done for looking after your diabetes in illness. It's the hardest time to keep on it.

I'm not really sure that insulin has any effect at all, but I keep on taking it - it was going well and I had got it down to under 12 units 3 times a day and to 70 overnight, but shoved daytime doses back up to 20 fairly rapidly when readings went up to 15+. Was that too fast?

When things improve I'll drop by 2 units at a time - guided by what the readings are.

Ann

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Yesterday was horrible and bloods were ridiculous. Today high fast but not as high as yesterday. Bloods better but still a bit higher than normal. Guess we have to ride it out. It's been almost a week for me but crqzy bloods only a few days. Hopefully I'm on the turn around. I hope yours comes soon. So hard to function WITH patience.

Feel better soon!!!

Taken a fair amount of Solpadeine (my pain killer of choice) to ease the aches and pains so at present I'm feeling halfway human. It may even last for a while.

Just received word of surgery appointment to take away half my thyroid (parathyroid is the problem but it's growing into my thyroid so both have to come out) That gives me about 3 weeks to get over this bug - should be OK. I certainly don't want to go back to the end of the list again. There's probably a connection with all these things - diabetes, insulin resistance, liver problems, overweight, fluid retention, parathyroid hyperactivity etc. We shall see by the end of September, no doubt.

Ann