DIABETES AND LOW TESTOSTERONE

Grazer

Interesting article I thought.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... erone.html

It says that low testosterone can lead to diabetes, and vice-versa. If you read it all, you'll see that one doctor in this states that 40% of diabetics have low testosterone.
Thoughts? could therefore treating low testosterone (simple apparently), thus curing that hormone deficiency, help the insulin responses in a diabetic?

Fallenstar

Yup ,you have got to look after those Hormones, because when they are out of kilter they can leave you in a right old mess! Men and women alike.

Interesting Grazer, Thanks.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not seen any concrete factual evidence that one affects the other or vice versa. Could just be that most Type 2s are older people with naturally decreasing testosterone?

Moley

There is more and more evidence to suggest this is correct.

I am 35 and am having Testosterone Replacement Therapy for my low T count due to my T2, no age related low T here.

In addition to that there is also a link with Low T to low HDL and this really needs to be taken seriously as with lower HDL and low T the risks of Cardiovascular Disease are massively increased.

Hopefully I will be finding out more about this in the coming months as this is the case with me at the moment.

reidpj

Hi

Another problem for the more rotund of us: There's an enzyme that 'hangs out' in fat tissue called aromatase. Aromatase likes to convert testosterone into estrogen. High estrogen levels can lead to insulin resistance (insulin/estrogen see www.livestrong.com/article/489682-high-insulin-estrogen).

Cortisol (as well as triggering 'liver dumps' and insulin resistance) competes with testosterone for the same limited resources in the body (the two molecules are very similar in physical structure). Anything that causes cortisol to rise will lead to a decrease in testosterone.

dazzak

I have been told that due to my response to testosterone injections that its likely that a prolonged period in my twenties with Low T, resulted in Diabetes type 2. My endo says hes pretty sure.

Grazer

dazzak said:
I have been told that due to my response to testosterone injections that its likely that a prolonged period in my twenties with Low T, resulted in Diabetes type 2. My endo says hes pretty sure.

Hi Dazzak, don't get it - your profile says you're type 1?