Diabetes and mental health.

Adelesjakevan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 32 years and had my fair share of problems including Pancratic Enzyme Deficiency, joint issues which I take strong pain relief for and inability to shake off feeling down. I live a busy life like most being a farther of two boys, husband, bread winner and only support for my mum who and Alzheimer's. I have suffered with depression for over four years now and have tried medication, counselling and psychiatry both NHS and private. To be blunt I am struggling to find a way forward with my mental heath and my diabetes, which it has been suggested I use as a way of self harm in my depression and low self esteem. I don't know where to turn. Does anyone have any suggestion to get out of this rut...... :eek:(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Adelesjakevan Welcome to the forum ;)

It sounds like on top of your diabetes that you have alot to deal with, being a bread winner, father and carer for your mum is alot to deal with. Depression as you are probably aware is commonly linked to diabetes too. How are your blood glucose levels in general ? I went through a period of depression which I struggled with, and found that it was my fluctuating levels which contributed towards this, as well as the added pressure of being a mum and working full time.

You mention also being a carer for your mum - is there any way you can get support to help her, so contact https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/ or pop into a local charity shop to see what local support is available, getting some support will help you greatly.

I appreciate your life is busy, but is there any way you can take time out to do a hobby or something you enjoy, even if it's going for a run/walk 2-3 times a week, doing something alone which will give you a chance to think and be yourself for a short while.

You mention you have already had support from the NHS, who are you in contact with in managing your diabetes ? If you are seeing a consultant then try and get them to review your care, if you are using diabetes to self harm then they need to be aware fully of the situation you are in. I know it must be hard for you but start to make a nuisance of yourself - they need to realise with so many dependent on you, that you are a big priority. Try also to see that things can improve, that it can only get better and have hope.

Reactions: 7 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Adelesjakevan Welcome to the forum. I spent 29 years being told I needed to sort my control out, take meds regularly and do blood tests but I simply was unable to. Despite being diabetic for all those years, I had no ideahow little I understood about diabetes!
Everyone is different, but the thing that piqued my interest was CGM, which could take me from one random blood test result in a week to 24 hour graphs that enabled me to put everything into context. By pure chance, I think a sequence of events fell into place .... I read "Sugar Surfing" and "Think Like a Pancreas", I then invested in a Dexcom CGM, and I immediately saw the effect of every single missed bolus, or sneaky treat, or even extra snack. I have turned almost obsessive, but I love it ... I genuinely celebrate by diabetes (or at least my control of it) now.
Every one is different, and what worked for me may not work for others, but hope it gives you something to mull over?

Reactions: 6 people

Adelesjakevan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Adelesjakevan Welcome to the forum ;)

It sounds like on top of your diabetes that you have alot to deal with, being a bread winner, father and carer for your mum is alot to deal with. Depression as you are probably aware is commonly linked to diabetes too. How are your blood glucose levels in general ? I went through a period of depression which I struggled with, and found that it was my fluctuating levels which contributed towards this, as well as the added pressure of being a mum and working full time.

You mention also being a carer for your mum - is there any way you can get support to help her, so contact https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/ or pop into a local charity shop to see what local support is available, getting some support will help you greatly.

I appreciate your life is busy, but is there any way you can take time out to do a hobby or something you enjoy, even if it's going for a run/walk 2-3 times a week, doing something alone which will give you a chance to think and be yourself for a short while.

You mention you have already had support from the NHS, who are you in contact with in managing your diabetes ? If you are seeing a consultant then try and get them to review your care, if you are using diabetes to self harm then they need to be aware fully of the situation you are in. I know it must be hard for you but start to make a nuisance of yourself - they need to realise with so many dependent on you, that you are a big priority. Try also to see that things can improve, that it can only get better and have hope.

Thank you so much for your post. My sugars go between 1.9 (hypo) and 18.5mmol, it the worst it every been. You mentioned that you found that your levels contributed to your depression, how?? My mum is lovely but also as stubborn as they come. We have been offered help but she has refused all apart from a befriender who takes her out midweek. She does even want me to get a gardener to help looking after her big garden lol.

I've been advised to find time for myself / a hobby but so far other things get in the way. I started kayaking and then my youngest started coming and absolutely loves it. Unfortunately there is no way I could stop him coming as he's getting loads out of it.

I have found a great Diabetic nurse whom I feel I'm letting down because she is trying so hard and being so supportive. She never judges and always listens. She has admitted that there is lack of support and pathways to get help for people with chronic conditions like diabetes and mental health issues. It's hard finding where one health issue ends another takes over. They all seem to interlink...

I'm living day to day at the moment but I do have another trip to see my diabetic nurse tomorrow, so here's hoping !! Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Adelesjakevan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Adelesjakevan Welcome to the forum. I spent 29 years being told I needed to sort my control out, take meds regularly and do blood tests but I simply was unable to. Despite being diabetic for all those years, I had no ideahow little I understood about diabetes!
Everyone is different, but the thing that piqued my interest was CGM, which could take me from one random blood test result in a week to 24 hour graphs that enabled me to put everything into context. By pure chance, I think a sequence of events fell into place .... I read "Sugar Surfing" and "Think Like a Pancreas", I then invested in a Dexcom CGM, and I immediately saw the effect of every single missed bolus, or sneaky treat, or even extra snack. I have turned almost obsessive, but I love it ... I genuinely celebrate by diabetes (or at least my control of it) now.
Every one is different, and what worked for me may not work for others, but hope it gives you something to mull over?

I am seeing my diabetic nurse tomorrow and will ask for some information about the CGM and will google those books. Thank you for the idea and hope you continue your successful path with diabetes. All the best.