Diabetes and milk

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @biren1973

I find that milk in my coffee has no effect on my BG. I take account of the carbs in milk when having breakfast cereal to calculate my insulin; else it would increase my BG.

I find it useful to sometimes drink a hot chocolate (15g carbs) at bedtime if my BG is running a little low. I'd normally expect this much carb content to increase my BG by 3mmol (without any insulin), but my Libre shows a slow rise of 2mmol, presumably slowed by the fat (11g).

You may get completely different results; as others have advised, you'll only know by testing before and after drinking milk.

Don't forget: milk is a great source of calcium, so you'll need to take care if you do decide to eliminate or substantially reduce milk/dairy from your diet.

*275ml full fat milk = 13g carbs plus 1 teaspoon Green & Blacks cocoa powder = 2g carbs.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @biren1973

I find that milk in my coffee has no effect on my BG. I take account of the carbs in milk when having breakfast cereal to calculate my insulin; else it would increase my BG.

I find it useful to sometimes drink a hot chocolate (15g carbs) at bedtime if my BG is running a little low. I'd normally expect this much carb content to increase my BG by 3mmol (without any insulin), but my Libre shows a slow rise of 2mmol, presumably slowed by the fat (11g).

You may get completely different results; as others have advised, you'll only know by testing before and after drinking milk.

Don't forget: milk is a great source of calcium, so you'll need to take care if you do decide to eliminate or substantially reduce milk/dairy from your diet.

*275ml full fat milk = 13g carbs plus 1 teaspoon Green & Blacks cocoa powder = 2g carbs.
Yes, missing out on the calcium in milk products is a worry to me as I try to work out my new diet. Did you know that milk in coffee doesn't count towards your calcium intake, as the calcium is made un/less available by the caffeine. It's a lose/lose situation, as the milk also impedes absorption of the anti-oxidants in the coffee. I write with feeling, as I love coffee but ONLY with milk in it. I am hovering on the brink of buying a carton of cream. It would be my first after about 30 years of supposedly healthy eating! I might have already done it, except that I can't find organic cream anywhere. I too like to drink coccoa, but made strong with 3 tsp cocoa powder and NO milk. There is some caffeine in cocoa, but nowhere near the level in coffee.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very useful and helpful link. However it says that the effect of caffeine on the absorption of calcium is insignificant where there is plenty of calcium in the diet. Here we are obliged to reduce carbs and therefore milk consumption so we have to plan carefully to make sure we do get enough calcium for bone health despite that restriction. The article confirms my idea that milk added to coffee can not be counted towards one's calcium intake: "The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk." Of course if, as I do, you like to drown your coffee in milk, you may come out in calcium credit. But cream might be better for sparing the anti-oxidants in the coffee.

Reactions: Ledzeptt
S

serenity648

Very useful and helpful link. However it says that the effect of caffeine on the absorption of calcium is insignificant where there is plenty of calcium in the diet. Here we are obliged to reduce carbs and therefore milk consumption so we have to plan carefully to make sure we do get enough calcium for bone health despite that restriction. The article confirms my idea that milk added to coffee can not be counted towards one's calcium intake: "The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk." Of course if, like me, you like to drown your coffee in milk, you may come out in calcium credit. But cream might be better for sparing the anti-oxidants in the coffee.
hard cheese has lots of calcium and no carbs, so I am not sure why i would be restricting my calcium by being low carb? I get loads of calcium from cheese for bone health. So my milk consumption is mainly for taste, not nutrition. I dont like cream, so eat cheese.............yummy, yummy cheese.............back in a min, my fridge is calling lol

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hard cheese has lots of calcium and no carbs, so I am not sure why i would be restricting my calcium by being low carb? I get loads of calcium from cheese for bone health. So my milk consumption is mainly for taste, not nutrition. I dont like cream, so eat cheese.............yummy, yummy cheese.............back in a min, my fridge is calling lol
IMHO the only point of cream is to make coffee more enjoyable. I don't think it contains any calcium. The only nutritional point in its favour I have been able to find is that it is low in sodium.