Diabetes and milk

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone advise if it is ok to have milk? Does it increase or decrease BG?

Regards

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Regards
The general opinion in the forum seems to be that cream, in coffee for example, is better for type 2s than milk because it breaks down more slowly because of the fat content. Semi skimmed milk might be sweetened. You could also look at unsweetened soya milk products but check the nutritional information and avoid products with maltodextrin added.
And, yes, milk will increase BG a little. Use a meter to check.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It increases BS it if you drink a lot at once. In a cup of tea it will be negligible. Some people fare worse than others due to lactose intolerance. Full cream milk is better if drinking a glass as pint for pint there is less sugar than skimmed or semi skimmed..

Reactions: Guzzler and dbr10

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The general opinion in the forum seems to be that cream, in coffee for example, is better for type 2s than milk because it breaks down more slowly because of the fat content. Semi skimmed milk might be sweetened. You could also look at unsweetened soya milk products but check the nutritional information and avoid products with maltodextrin added.

I m getting conflicting information on the internet . Some say milk good some say it is not. Has anyone personally tested BG after taking it.

Is it two hours to check BG after you drink it?

B

badcat

Milk has a higher carb count than cream - the more low fat the milk, the more carbs
As with most things milk is fine to eat / drink for a diabetic but you need to have a fair idea of your bodies tolerance to carbs (via testing) and then make a judgement about how many of those carbs you want to 'spend' on milk
we are all different in our carb tolerance and blood sugar responses to any food - the only way to find out if a food is good for you is to test your bodies resonse - blood sugar before and 2 hrs after consuming it

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I m getting conflicting information on the internet . Some say milk good some say it is not. Has anyone personally tested BG after taking it.

Is it two hours to check BG after you drink it?

We generally test before meals and again 2 hours afterwards to see what the increase might be. When you get to know which foods to avoid, you don't have to check so often.
As @Bluetit1802 says, it's going to have a fairly negligible effect in yes or coffee.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
D

Deleted Account

it's going to have a fairly negligible effect in yes or coffee.
I love my mug of "yes" every morning.
Sorry, couldn't help myself. But don't you think "Yes!" (exclamation mark very important) would make a great name for a morning energy boost drink? Or is it just me?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Regards

@biren1973 Milk contains carbs. If you're only having a tiny amount, it probably won't affect you, but if you drink a glass it might.

As others have said, test and see :)

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Funny thing is even if i starve myself for 20hours my blood sugar is still around 10-13mmol but soon as i eat my blood sugar will drop slightly.....weird
I now have been watching my heart rate to find the lower my heart rate is the lower my BG is
Diabeties is such a headache

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Milk has a higher carb count than cream - the more low fat the milk, the more carbs
Not according to the Carbs and Cals book. For example half a pint of whole, semi-skimmed, 1% or skimmed milk all have 13g of carbs. If they differ in their effect on BG then I assume it is due to the fat content. Cream itself has 0 carbs.

B

badcat

Love the way they nutritional info sites / books l give different measurments and different results!
For milk, MFP gives 4.7 (whole) - 5.1 (skimmed) g carbs per 100 ml
For cream MFP gives 1.5g carbs for 100ml double cream and 2.5g for 100 ml single cream
Life would be oh so much simpler if they all just agreed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not according to the Carbs and Cals book. For example half a pint of whole, semi-skimmed, 1% or skimmed milk all have 13g of carbs. If they differ in their effect on BG then I assume it is due to the fat content. Cream itself has 0 carbs.

I agree that is what carbs & cals says. However, to me this is illogical. Take a pint measurement. Whole milk contains cream, which has no carbs. So the milk minus the cream is where the carbs are. Skimmed milk contains virtually no cream, so a pint measure will be all milk with no cream, therefore should have more carbs from the extra milk content.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that is what carbs & cals says. However, to me this is illogical. Take a pint measurement. Whole milk contains cream, which has no carbs. So the milk minus the cream is where the carbs are. Skimmed milk contains virtually no cream, so a pint measure will be all milk with no cream, therefore should have more carbs from the extra milk content.
Whole milk only has about 4% cream, so removing it doesn't make much difference to the percentage carbs. For example whole milk is about 4.6% carbs so removing the cream completely would only make it 4.78% so with a bit of rounding the Cals and Carbs figures can be correct.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As someone who is lactose intolerant, because of the carbs. But even full cream raises my blood levels.
Lactose for some is worse because it is a glucose, a sugar.

The fat content does matter as it slows the rise when I tested.

Either you can tolerate milk regardless of how the milk is bottled, even sterilization has a bearing on how it affects you!

The odd thing is that full fat milk does nudge mine up a couple of mmols, but full fat Greek yogurt does nothing! Go figure!

Stay away from the low fat dairy as this will be the worst.

B

badcat

Many years ago I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, although that has reduced since I initially completely excluded milk etc and then used rotation diet ( not eating more than every 3 days)
When I was diagnosed I was told by the hospital team that yogurt, and particularly live yogurt, is fine if you are lactose intolerant because the bacteria used in making the yogurt feed on the lactose

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Many years ago I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant, although that has reduced since I initially completely excluded milk etc and then used rotation diet ( not eating more than every 3 days)
When I was diagnosed I was told by the hospital team that yogurt, and particularly live yogurt, is fine if you are lactose intolerant because the bacteria used in making the yogurt feed on the lactose

Didn't know that!
I was told to avoid all dairy including eggs! (I know that eggs not dairy and are very good!)

B

badcat

I was diagnosed intolerant of either egg yolks or whites ( cant remember which now as I had to eliminate then manage both for years )
My boyfriend of the time said the hospital staff got very very excited at finding some one intolerant to eggs and from the waiting room he heard one of the docs / nurses announcing loudly to all and sundry " we've got an egg lady!)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As someone who is lactose intolerant, because of the carbs. But even full cream raises my blood levels.
Lactose for some is worse because it is a glucose, a sugar.

The fat content does matter as it slows the rise when I tested.

Either you can tolerate milk regardless of how the milk is bottled, even sterilization has a bearing on how it affects you!

The odd thing is that full fat milk does nudge mine up a couple of mmols, but full fat Greek yogurt does nothing! Go figure!

Stay away from the low fat dairy as this will be the worst.
Yoghurt is supposed to be lower in sugar than milk because the bugs eat the lactose! But you can never be sure how much they have eaten in any particular batch.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yoghurt is supposed to be lower in sugar than milk because the bugs eat the lactose! But you can never be sure how much they have eaten in any particular batch.
If what you say is true, then what does the %carbs on the label, which I assume includes lactose, refer to? If the live bacteria are digesting the lactose it would be reducing all the time.