Diabetes and Ramadhan 2011

Fazz

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone on here is fasting this Ramadhan (2011)?

If so, how are you planning to control it? This year will be very tough, because we will be eating from 9pm till 2.15am and then its fast all day till 9pm in the evening! That's like 18 hours of no food or drink!

I usually get thirsty quite a lot, so kinda worried on how I'll manage this year. Plus I work in an environment which is fast paced and lots of lifting and pulling as well serving customers etc. And there is no time to sit and rest there.

I usually get given leaflets and advise from my doctor and nurse, but this year there is nothing!

Any advise please?? Thanks.

thediabeticswife

Do fasting times change every year for Ramhadan? (Disclaimer: I don't know anything about it other than it must be very difficult to plan for.)

viv1969

Diabetes is one of the chronic conditions which will exempt you from such strict fasting during Ramadan.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
phoenix said:
That is a very long time to fast.
The Diabetes UK site (the charity) has some general info, I'm not certain that it's specific for this year.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/MyLife-Young ... -diabetes/
I'm not a Muslim, but looking at that link I have serious doubts about the advice.

Certainly test your blood glucose frequently (hourly?) & when you feel ill. If your BG is below 5 you will need to eat something, preferably fatty protein rather than something sweet which would have a very temporary effect - DUK recommend eating something substantial after the emergency glucose.

Fatty meat, cheese & nuts are much more sustaining - especially over many hours - that the carbs that the DUK link recommend.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
viv1969 said:
Diabetes is one of the chronic conditions which will exempt you from such strict fasting during Ramadan.

Fazz, Viv is correct - you should be exempted from fasting because Diabetes is an illness.

Both my parents are muslims - both have type 2 Diabetes, both on oral medications one on Insulin as well as various other things, they do not fast anymore.

Sanober

Dislikes
thediabeticswife said:
Do fasting times change every year for Ramhadan? (Disclaimer: I don't know anything about it other than it must be very difficult to plan for.)

Very briefly - It's one month of a lunar calendar that muslims follow - therefore dependant on when the this month occurs can mean shorter/longer days, the daily fast itself begins at sunrise and is broken at sunset.

Googling Ramadhan/Ramadan will help give a bit of further background for you.

Fazz

Thanks for all the info and comments guys. Much appreciated.
I managed to do a fast today because I had a day off work. It was ok until the last few hours before breaking fast, I constantly felt tired and hardly had any energy to get up and do things. My mood seem to be very low and depressed too.
I got work at 6am tomorrow so

Fazz

....I got work at 6am tomorrow so won't be fasting. I have eaten and drank LOTS, most probably due to dehydration. I fasted last year and the year before - didn't keep all of them but managed to keep most, and it does help in controlling my diabetes to a certain extent. However, this year the fasting times are far too long, and plus it's humid out there! Don't think I'll be fasting much except the last few days when the times will have gotten slightly shorter!

Got a throbbing migraine at the moment, its hot and I'm feeling nausea....hopefully a better day tomorrow :)

Night x

Sanober

Dislikes
Fazz said:
.However, this year the fasting times are far too long, and plus it's humid out there! Don't think I'll be fasting much except the last few days when the times will have gotten slightly shorter!

Got a throbbing migraine at the moment, its hot and I'm feeling nausea....hopefully a better day tomorrow :)

Night x

Good for you Fazz, religion is very important to some and a person's commitment to god isn't any less when that person is unwell :)

No probs, The Diabetic's Wife (there's a book title there :D )

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not muslim but do know a few people who as they have chronic illness fast for the duration it would be if they were in Mecca. They then feel they are contributing to thier religious and physical health with benefits for both.

Look after yourself Fazz.