Diabetes And The Book That Changed My Life

OneDiabetic

A while ago i posted about my discovery of carb counting, and how i should have made it my business to learn about Carb counting years, and years ago. Well i invested in a little carb counter book on amazon for litterally pennies, and for anyone sceptical about carb counting, this book literally has changed my life, and as a reader, writer and poet i can honestly say this has been one of the most important books ive read. The book is by Collins Gem, and a gem indeed it is, if anyone wants to know more then please visit my blog http://www.OneDiabetic.Blogspot.com (the link is in my sig!)

I hope for anyone considering carb counting you take that step, and i hope you succeed!

What other books on the subject of diabetes have people found very very useful? I know there are quite a few cook books for diabetics out there and am thinking of investing in one!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If I had a pound for every time I've mentioned this book..... :? :?

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
The books by charles clarke and alan bernstein
(diabetes revoultion and diabetes solution)

MaryChristine

I recommend "The First Year - Type 2 Diabetes" by Gretchen Becker published by Robinson, which I found very helpful when I was newly diagnosed and have often referred to since. It is humorous, straightforward and treats you like an intelligent human being who needs information in plain language. It is divided into sections (Day One, Day 2 etc up to Month 12) so you can read it "as you go", taking in information bit by bit, which is less overwhelming, or read it straight through or look up topics which particularly concern you.

I am very glad I came across it early on as I have since read some (in my opinion) extremely irritating and patronising books! I bought my copy from a large branch of WH Smith but your local public library should be able to get it for you.

Best wishes

MaryChristine

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I also have "the calorie, carb and fat Bible 2002", which lists the nutrients of somewhere in the range of 15,000 foods and drinks.
I think this book is updated annually.
In addition I have the basic information that Carbsand proteins contain 4 Calories per gram and fats contain 9 calories per gram.
That's one of the start points of fat phobia. However, that doesn't take into account how a body uses that food.