Diabetes and Tiredness

Philby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi some advice please, is it common to be very tired when diagnosed with diabetes? I am very tired most days and come evening time I am not fit to do anything. May be its nothing to do with diabetes as such, maybe it’s my changed lifestyle and I am overdoing it on the exercise and diet. I am just putting out there to see what are the experiences of the forum members. I am intending to go and see the GP in the coming days to seek his opinion.

Background context, I have only being diagnosed since Feb of this year and I am currently controlling my BG levels through diet and exercise (was taken off medication because I was suffering too many hypos). My first HbA1c since diagnosis (3 months in) was 52. My current BMI is 23. It should be noted that the diet is not a low carb one, I just take care what and how much I eat. Finally I would walk most days (5 to 7 days a week) for 20 to 45min at a brisk pace of 6-7km/h.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Some people feel tired with diabetes others like me feel tired anyway due to old age; we are all different! Inevitably you can feel more tired with diabetes as the body is struggling to convert blood glucose to energy efficiently. Your BMI is good but the HBa1C is a bit on the high side, so I would reduce the carbs in your diet and also get hold of a meter so you can test your bloods 2 hours after a meal and see what foods affect you and by how much.

hornplayer

I get really tired a lot, and shaky. Usually when I'm out and about working. It's the same trigger I've had since I was in my teens ( 42 now ), the one that says " you need to eat something". I check my BG and its fine. Usually in the 6's or 7's. so I don't need to eat. Freezing a lot of the time too, but that could be down to the British summer?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I find that if I've had too many carbs (only by testing will you know) that I'm zonked