Diabetes camp

Galen1595

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I'm going to be a counselor in a cabin in 8 15 year old type ones(I'm a 23 year old type 1) for five days. What do you think are some important thing to talk with them about that might help them step up and take charge of their diabetes at that tricky age?

Best,
Galen

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey that sounds like an amazing job - think you will have alot of fun !

I think at this age, it's to accept imperfection, blood glucose levels don't always play nicely, so to accept the highs and lows and to manage them accordingly but not to get down about it ;)

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To own their Diabetes and not to just leave it all in the hands of parents and HCP's.

That bad numbers happen and not to take it personally, reflect upon the possible causes, take action and accept that sometime inexplicable things happen and you just have to move on

I know that this age group has a lot of issues with skipping injections for weight loss, particularly the young ladies. Perhaps keep an eye out for this and hopefully the camp will have something in place to deal with such concerns

Have fun! Bring earplugs/headphones!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would highlight that there is no ceiling to what they can achieve with good control examples include Sir Steve Redgrave and Theresa May