Diabetes caused by denim shrinkage?

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw this in The Guardian this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ns-they-wore-aged-21-risk-developing-diabetes

OK, my thread title is a touch misleading, it's about the preliminary results of a study by Prof. Roy Taylor about how losing weight, even for 'normal' BMI people can reverse/"cure" diabetes.

Me - I am currently this><close to fitting back into the wedding dress I wore 33 years ago (I ditched the other person involved in the wedding many years ago, but kept the - full meringue style - dress)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I consider myself to be in pretty good shape but there is no way on this earth I would get into my jeans of 43 years ago....
Currently needing a belt for 30" jeans.....

Reactions: Widgets

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I consider myself to be in pretty good shape but there is no way on this earth I would get into my jeans of 43 years ago....
Given I had a waist of about 42 when I was 21 it kind of falls apart for me (I'm now 32w)
But the gist of the message to move into remission I think isn't such a bad one. I know there are slim T2s and technically I guess I am one now but weight loss in some cases does seem to help, so the message whilst changed by the media I do think is an interesting one

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is continuing the lowering of the bar of what is considered obese to the point of absurdity. The focus on obesity continues to deflect the real problem, the one of a high carb low fat diet being continually pushed..

We appear to have reached the point where everyone is obese, including 'invisible obesity'. Rather similar to the way that everyone is considered to need statins due to lowering the 'safe' levels of cholesterol.

Additionally, saying people are obese in some way or another continues to blame individuals for health issues, rather than the food industries and politicians who support them.

Reactions: KidDougi

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps does this article include women who have had children? All the ones I know who have kept slim still have wider hips and waists than before pregnancy.

Reactions: KK123
M

Member496333

Cheeky thread title but actually a satirical carbon copy headline of how correlation and causation are often mixed up in studies. Sometimes deliberately. The system will continually push the fatties caused their diabetes message until the end of time. Never gonna change so long as calories and fat can be blamed for what the bread and cereals did.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This appears to be based on the prelim findings of the ReTune Study
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/theretunestudy/
Had wondered how that was progressing, think Covid affected it

The participants, who had an average BMI of 24.5, followed a weight-loss programme that included a low-calorie liquid diet for two weeks – where each day they were consuming only 800 calories a day through soups and shakes.

They completed three rounds of this programme until they lost 10 to 15% of their body weight.

After weight loss was achieved, scans showed reductions in the fat in the liver and eight of the 12 participants had their type 2 diabetes go into remission, which was defined as having blood sugar levels under control and patients no longer needing any medication.

Taylor said the results, while preliminary, “demonstrate very clearly that diabetes is not caused by obesity but by being too heavy for your own body”

While explaining the underlying cause, the genetic disposition to deposit visceral fat on the liver instead of subcutaneous stores, it may end up shaming TOFIs who might find it impossible to loose 15% off an already light frame.
What's the maintenance plan post weight loss ? increasing calorie restriction with advancing age & reduced activity ?
Far more wiggle room for a mobidly obese T2s who didn't trigger the fat deposit issue until they were 10st overweight.

M

Member496333

…it may end up shaming TOFIs who might find it impossible to loose 15% off an already light frame.

I beat diabetes and overcame comedy insulin resistance whilst gaining weight the whole time. I’m now 8kg heavier than when diagnosed and I’m completely diabetes free with no medication. I appreciate I’m in a minority but TOFI are the paradox that the calorie supremacists don’t much like to talk about.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it concerning that a normal BMI is now being considered to be unhealthy in this report.

24.5 reduced down to 21 max to achieve a 15% ish weight loss. I wonder what happens when they eat more again?

Reactions: zand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw this in The Guardian this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ns-they-wore-aged-21-risk-developing-diabetes

OK, my thread title is a touch misleading, it's about the preliminary results of a study by Prof. Roy Taylor about how losing weight, even for 'normal' BMI people can reverse/"cure" diabetes.

Me - I am currently this><close to fitting back into the wedding dress I wore 33 years ago (I ditched the other person involved in the wedding many years ago, but kept the - full meringue style - dress)
Congratulations on keeping the dress if not the baseband!
The Retune study finishes this December but maybe Prof Taylor is trying to sell a few more copies of his book.
As I have mentioned on another thread its going to be tricky to get the new message across to the Tofi types that you don't need to starve on 800 kcals but if your jeans have shrunk in the wash, consider ways to reduce your tummy fat. Just a shame that Diabetes UK, who fund the research, aren't very keen on things other than Newcastle Diet and bariatric surgery. Low carb is barely mentioned.

Reactions: hankjam

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what happens when they eat more again?

Exactly my point above
What's the maintenance plan post weight loss ? increasing calorie restriction with advancing age & reduced activity ?

I suppose the study now confirms Prof Taylors twin cycle hypothesis so he'll receive plaudits for that.
Hard to see how it benefits the TOFIs however, perhaps focus on a weight loss pill that targets visceral fat ? Who knows

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find it concerning that a normal BMI is now being considered to be unhealthy in this report.

24.5 reduced down to 21 max to achieve a 15% ish weight loss. I wonder what happens when they eat more again?
BMI is also Baloney Mass Index when it comes to matters diabetic but is a term lots of people are familiar with and we all know large people who are healthy apart from sore knees and skinnies who have full blown metabolic syndrome.
In the popular mind though obesity is the cause of type 2 and I feel it may take a while to shift the paradigm assuming that Prof Taylor's work does prove his hypothesis re personal fat threshold.
Waist size (or gain in waist size relative to you) is better hence I quite like the denim shrinkage concept! As long as we are not talking about cheating with stretch denim or jeggings!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly my point above

I suppose the study now confirms Prof Taylors twin cycle hypothesis so he'll receive plaudits for that.
Hard to see how it benefits the TOFIs however, perhaps focus on a weight loss pill that targets visceral fat ? Who knows
A spot reducing (visceral) fat pill! Sounds like Willy Wonka territory to me.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on keeping the dress if not the baseband!
The Retune study finishes this December but maybe Prof Taylor is trying to sell a few more copies of his book.
As I have mentioned on another thread its going to be tricky to get the new message across to the Tofi types that you don't need to starve on 800 kcals but if your jeans have shrunk in the wash, consider ways to reduce your tummy fat. Just a shame that Diabetes UK, who fund the research, aren't very keen on things other than Newcastle Diet and bariatric surgery. Low carb is barely mentioned.
I got myself bounced off the DUK forum for suggesting that LCHF might possibly lead to remission. This was in a thread where I had shared my own journey and success testimonial, but it was shot down for being a dangerous diet,

As regards Retune, I was always a 10 stone weakling with 30" waist until I got metabolic syndrome. I ballooned up to around 18 stones until I started LCHF as a serious WOE, I reduced my waist from 38" back down to 30" and my weight to 10 stone. My BGL came back into control and my HbA1c went into nondiabetic levels, So I did RETUNE on LCHF.

But I am still diabetic, and a recent spell in hospital on Eatwell put me straight back into diabetic levels even though my weight also dropped 5 kg, So I am now a 9 stone diabetic with my 30" jeans held up by suspenders (braces for those in UK)

My post-hospital LCHF efforts have got me back to prediabetes level And I am TOFI,

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got myself bounced off the DUK forum for suggesting that LCHF might possibly lead to remission. This was in a thread where I had shared my own journey and success testimonial, but it was shot down for being a dangerous diet,

As regards Retune, I was always a 10 stone weakling with 30" waist until I got metabolic syndrome. I ballooned up to around 18 stones until I started LCHF as a serious WOE, I reduced my waist from 38" back down to 30" and my weight to 10 stone. My BGL came back into control and my HbA1c went into nondiabetic levels, So I did RETUNE on LCHF.

But I am still diabetic, and a recent spell in hospital on Eatwell put me straight back into diabetic levels even though my weight also dropped 5 kg, So I am now a 9 stone diabetic with my 30" jeans held up by suspenders (braces for those in UK)

My post-hospital LCHF efforts have got me back to prediabetes level And I am TOFI,
I think the DuK staff do police that forum for correct messaging on such topics so I am grateful that the discussion here is more free ranging!
The head of research which talks about remission being possible via bariatric surgery or the low calorie Newcastle Diet. He dismissed what i presume to be Virta Study because he didn't consider it to be randomised. Nor is Direct of course.
As your story shows the current advice tending towards high carb/low fat doesn't seem to work well for everyone but is still emphasised by DuK in its leaflets on 'Eating Well ' with diabetes in which it states that we all need some carbs and whilst you may choose to eat less of them, you mustn't eat too much saturated fat (not very appealing).

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I was fat in my teens/early 20s so it's easier for me. But still, I put a lot of weight on in the last 30+ years. And have shed most of it in the last 4 months or so with very low carb, since being told I was pre-diabetic back in June.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is continuing the lowering of the bar of what is considered obese to the point of absurdity. The focus on obesity continues to deflect the real problem, the one of a high carb low fat diet being continually pushed..

I think the idea of 'too fat for your body' (I think that was the quote) is more useful. If you're carrying fat around your liver/pancreas then it matters less what your BMI is and a lot more that you've got a distribution of fat that's likely to cause issues.

Nuance is always lost in newspaper/news reporting.

Reactions: HSSS

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, but the article seems to say that type 2 diabetes is the proof of being too fat for your body, regardless of how skinny someone may already be.

It also ignores the idea that we need some internal fat round our organs.

Some type 2 diabetics need medical support no matter how thin they get, and being too underweight, or consistently eating too little to maintain a low weight brings its own issues.

It just seems to me that professor Taylor has this 15% body weight mantra going, has staked all his theories into it, and turned it into a blanket one size fits all solution. Those for whom it doesn't work are then told to lose more and more weight as the possibility of this theory not applying to all seems to be being discounted. The 'failures' are then blamed for not losing 'enough'