1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes caused by denim shrinkage?

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by Widgets, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

DUK is riding the government gravy train so has to promote the government line as dictated by SACN and NICE.

2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I put myself through the NHS "Are you at risk of Diabetes" calculator yesterday and still came out at an increased risk because of 2 immovable factors:
    1 my age
    2 my relatives who already have it

My weight, bmi and bg are all good and controlled but according to the calculator I'm still at increased risk.

So Prof Taylors idea of what I weighed over 40 years ago would still be irrelevant just because I've got to a certain age and have relatives .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  3. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Forgotten say, well done @Widgets. I recently tried my 29 year old wedding outfit, and it was too big! It's a great feeling, and even better I know I'm going to stay this way. Hope you do too

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Widgets

Widgets Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

That's definitely my plan - I lost a lot of weight with low carb about 15 years ago, but put most of it back. So, I know what I'm doing, I just need to do it better this time :)

Onwards and downwards!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not to defend Taylor but I believe that the genetic malfunction is the deposit of fat on the internal organs before filling subcutaneous stores.
    We all think speak of genetics as this predetermined breakdown of signalling pathways that lead to insulin resistance.
    Perhaps this genetic component is the fat storage issue.

I will be interested to see the liver scans when the full report is published.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I want to add to my earlier contribution on this topic and go on record as saying that I actually do subscribe to the personal fat threshold theory. It neatly explains why TOFI become diabetic so easily and it also fits with what I believe to be true of Jason Fung's overflow hypothesis work. What continues to grind my gears, though, is the incessant infatuation with calories and calorie reduction being the be-all-and-end-all of staying below that threshold.

In my own case I'm very sure that my efforts will have reduced my weight in ectopic organ fat but increased my lean mass overall. In that regard one can argue it's all about fat but I also didn't restrict calories. I just stopped eating glucose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Considering I was anorexic in my late teens and early twenties, my 20" waist was not something I would want still.

• Hug Hug x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook