Diabetes cured

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just read this thread and umm not another reversal/cured discussion... Did think about just ignoring it, but I'm a sucker so here goes...

@douglas99 If you are going to do it just do it... I didnt find I was short of energy and I was off all meds within the month and doing a lot of exercise every day. You have enough reserves and that is what you need to burn. I am with the others - whilst you are soaking up the meds and pushing the carbs you aren't proving anything to yourself except that you can live fairly normally for now (hope it continues for you for a long time to come) and that may be all that you need for now and good for you and there is nothing wrong with low GI

So please no more nay saying some of us are lucky enough to have caught it at the right time and turned around our condition to such an extent that we do not suffer from the symptoms of diabetes in any of its forms. We are the lucky ones and I know it rankles some feathers (sorry for that) but we should be shouting from the tree tops for people to try it on diagnosis as it is 2 months for the rest of their life’s and what have they got to lose.

This is what I do not understand, people are so reluctant to try 8 weeks of their life to give them a chance of improving health, coming off medication, avoiding complications etc.

So why? Why do they deny and try to discredit those of us who have? Taking 8 weeks to chance a reversal of a life limiting condition in a way that compared say to having chemotherapy treatment for cancer is an absolute stroll in the park. I risk upsetting some people by asking is there an advantage to them to retain their diabetic status? (Rhetorical question, I require no response, just ask yourselves).

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@douglas99 @jack412 @cold ethyl Well one of you had better tell Professor Taylor this then. The Newcastle diet is not a cure - just doing the same job as metformin. It will save him wasting any more time. Still not quite sure how Pipp managed to have an extended carb fest whilst still being 5+ stones overweight yet kept non-diabetic BG's though. My own diabetes has not been reversed/cured but I'm willing to believe someone else's has, yet I would usually call myself a cynic.
my post was about doug, taking drugs so he can eat more carbs and they going on about how his diet is terrific and so much better than others, IMO both doug and ford are just here to wind people up
I'm cool with Newcastle diet getting the IR gone and having a normal GTT

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@douglas99 @jack412 @cold ethyl Well one of you had better tell Professor Taylor this then. The Newcastle diet is not a cure - just doing the same job as metformin. It will save him wasting any more time. Still not quite sure how Pipp managed to have an extended carb fest whilst still being 5+ stones overweight yet kept non-diabetic BG's though. My own diabetes has not been reversed/cured but I'm willing to believe someone else's has, yet I would usually call myself a cynic.

Thank you, @zand. I am aware I am sailing close to the wind by not yet getting full control of my eating and weight. No doubt some people would be happy to see me continue to fail to gain that control, and are just waiting for me to have high BG again. So your belief is particularly valued. After all, I thought the purpose of the forum was to support, educate and inform, not demoralise each other.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I found my energy levels increased when on Newcastle diet.

Unfortunately, the biggest cause of death is diver error.
It's also the normal outcome.
I know I work well now.
I know my depth limits for nitrogen narcosis, I know my dive times, I know my limits at the moment.
The dive in October isn't a simple one.
So I can wait a few weeks before a major calorie reduction, off the meds in the stages we've planned, whatever metabolic changes happen, and then I do a few trial dives to make sure.

tbh, I wonder what one 500mg metformin does, it'll be the 50mg Sitagliptin that I want to see the results of, as halving it last time didn't appear to raise anything.
If it does raise me, I can rethink my strategy, as I have headroom on the Metformin.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp As you know there are also those of us who were jealous of you for a while. Sorry I am over that now.;):)

I don't understand why people try to discredit you either. I don't think they fully understand that you haven't been actively trying to control your BG's for the last 3 years, and they still show non diabetic levels. I think the assumption is that you have always been eating low carb.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only learned about the Newcastle, after I had started my big trip and managed to "sell" the changes I was already making to my OH. A step to an extreme solution at that point might have been difficult to "sell". Having then read Professor Taylor's text on his website, I realise I had possibly done a sort of variaton on it anyway, by trimming right back, albeit at a slower rate and on gentler calorie amounts.

If there's plenty weight to go, or if the person considers they may not have the staying power, I see no harm in investing a bit of effort for 8 weeks. After all, it could be utterly life changing. How many other physically life changing changes can be achieved in eight weeks? Not too many, I'd wager.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp .. I know what you mean about not taking 8 weeks of diet to try to reverse this condition, but when my wife (yes the wife again!) offered this diet to me .. I couldn't do it .. I don't know why .. Think it was looking complicated for a veggie and at that point I just wanted to curl up under a stone. A week later I was on a strict LCHF diet and wonder what I was making a fuss about ... I listened to my DBN and doc .. The wife read up on the condition and these forums ... I guess we know who was right
BTW .. Would never discredit anyone brave enough to do the 8 week Newcastle diet

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my post was about doug, taking drugs so he can eat more carbs and they going on about how his diet is terrific and so much better than others, IMO both doug and ford are just here to wind people up
I'm cool with Newcastle diet getting the IR gone and having a normal GTT
Yes I agree with you here. I would give up the drugs before eating more carbs. Sorry, I just don't like Pipp taking flak because the Newcastle diet was a success for her. She's had too much of this already.

C

catherinecherub

The Newcastle diet was only open to participants who had been diagnosed under 4 years and until the new study gives results then we really do not know if it will work for all.

It seems to me to be more about weight management and I haven't got any to lose.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Research...t/Research-spotlight-low-calorie-liquid-diet/

I manage mine without medication, eat roughly 120 carbs daily and have never had an HBA1c out of the fives for 11 years.

I do not want to do the Newcastle diet because I am happy with the way I am. If that offends people then tough.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say when you invest that effort for 8 weeks and it doesn't work it's heart breaking.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Newcastle diet was only open to participants who had been diagnosed under 4 years and until the new study gives results then we really do not know if it will work for all.

It seems to me to be more about weight management and I haven't got any to lose.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Research...t/Research-spotlight-low-calorie-liquid-diet/

I manage mine without medication, eat roughly 120 carbs daily and have never had an HBA1c out of the fives for 11 years.

I do not want to do the Newcastle diet because I am happy with the way I am. If that offends people then tough.
Why would it offend people? You don't need to lose weight and your BG's are always under control. Of course you're happy the way you are - I would be too if that were me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awwww, Pipp. I was doing so well, being out of it for a full how many moments?

To be honest, I'm not sure I've lost much pancreatic function, if any, but then I also know I'm too chicken to actually test it out in the big, bad world. I have considered a C-Peptide test, privately funded, I expect.

As I trimmed up, my levels moderated pretty smartish, making me wonder if I actually just had quite extreme insulin resistance, as I never cariied a huge about of excess. Since trimming up, my levels are pretty low, and well within the non-diabetic ranges. I reckon I have a fair bit of leeway before I'd see diabetic numbers, but for now, I'm not driven enough to see where my personal envelope bursts.

Of course, one day I might just snap and really go for it.

Do not try silly carb experiments! I did, and due to the addictive nature of the carbs, and probably my desire to live dangerously, I am now finding it hard to stop the experiment.

Those of us who have managed to get and keep good BG control should rejoice that we have, carry on doing what we are doing to stay that way, and share the knowledge. If others choose not to believe then that is up to them. At least we have put the information out there. Oh and they can categorise me any way they like, because at the end of the day, I have 3 years worth of non-diabetic blood glucose levels under my belt to go with the excess 5 stones.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

it didn't work for all in the Newcastle test, neither does the gastric operation..it works on some/most people and we don't know long term outcomes yet
nor am I discounting pipps efforts and 3 years wellbeaing

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I agree with you here. I would give up the drugs before eating more carbs. Sorry, I just don't like Pipp taking flak because the Newcastle diet was a success for her. She's had too much of this already.

Thanks zand. I am now robust enough to take it. I won't be smug, because at any time the diabetic levels could return. I just don't understand what it is that gets people so fired up about Newcastle diet.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

impressive

A

AnnieC

I
Annie - If you read the threads I posted, some people do have sustained non-diabetes levels; with or without carbs.

In Professor Taylor's information, he talks about food consumption after the very low calories phase. You might find that interesting.
I did read a bit of the Professor Taylors link but will read it all through properly

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also thought the Newcastle Diet was about weight management, and as a result of the weight loss the participants' insulin resistance improved greatly as did their fatty livers, thus allowing them to be "cured" of diabetes. There are other ways to effect weight management that can have the same end results. @AndBreathe is an example of this. I am hoping to be another example in due course. In the end, for those type 2's with weight to lose, what does it matter if they do it this way or that way? I can't understand what all the controversy is about.

A

AnnieC

T
@AndBreathe, I don't think it sounded flippant at all. In fact, I am quite flattered that you read and took notice of the points I made regarding 'reversing diabetes' in earlier posts.
The carb fest, was a few months ago, and was triggered by nay-sayers and doubters on forum. Not pleasant, and very hard to stop wanting more of the addictive carb ****** food when you start. So much so, that I am still struggling to get over it. The result of indulging in such bad habits is that I am not able to lose the weight I need to to avoid getting to the sort of weight I was when I tipped over the limit into T2 blood glucose levels.

The good news as far as I am concerned is that I have now notched up three years of non-diabetic blood glucose readings. This is despite still being around 5-6 stones too heavy. As you have put in the links to threads I won't go into too much detail, other than to say that Newcastle diet seems to have worked for me. As I get older, and if I do not get weight under control, I may find myself in trouble again. However, no matter what amount of carb junk I consume, so far my blood glucose does not get spiked. If this had not happened to me personally, I too would be sceptical about it, because it does sound like one of those 'miracle cures' we see in tabloid press a lot. I know that it took me a while to convince myself to try it when I first read about it. Having read all of the academic papers I realised that I had nothing to lose, (except perhaps the diabetes and a few stones) by investing 8 weeks of my life in an experiment that could literally give me years back of healthier life. I am glad I did.

That is amazing so well done what was your eating plan after the 8 weeks on the Newcastle diet was it just low carb