Diabetes cured

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately, the biggest cause of death is diver error.
It's also the normal outcome.
I know I work well now.
I know my depth limits for nitrogen narcosis, I know my dive times, I know my limits at the moment.
The dive in October isn't a simple one.
So I can wait a few weeks before a major calorie reduction, off the meds in the stages we've planned, whatever metabolic changes happen, and then I do a few trial dives to make sure.

tbh, I wonder what one 500mg metformin does, it'll be the 50mg Sitagliptin that I want to see the results of, as halving it last time didn't appear to raise anything.
If it does raise me, I can rethink my strategy, as I have headroom on the Metformin.

Sorry Douglas, but, how many dives have you done this year? Or, more to the point, how many dives have you done each month? And how many in total? Obviously you are excited with your new-found activities. I understand that, and when I first discovered all that happens beneath the waves, I was spell-bound, and of course your safety and that of those diving with you is paramount..

But, if you really were serious about doing the ND, you would get on and do it. You would find a way to fit it in in some form. Professor Taylor's papers confirm the extreme low calorie approach is not necessary. The key is the critical weight loss - fast or slow. I rather think you're enjoying basking in your pseudo normalised levels, but we don't agree on just how fantastic they actually are.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I

I did read a bit of the Professor Taylors link but will read it all through properly
the successful ones are drug free and have a normal insulin response, give them an GTT and the pass with flying colours

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say when you invest that effort for 8 weeks and it doesn't work it's heart breaking.

I can understand that zand. However, the way I looked at it was that I had been diabetic for 6 years when I started Newcastle diet. I had tried all the recommended NHS strategies for eating well and was having increasing doses of Metformin. I was exercising and yet still the BG levels were getting worse. I knew if I waited until the Newcastle diet had been replicated, evaluated, before perhaps becoming mainstream it would have been too late for me.

I thought that 8 weeks, for once in my life sticking to the rules, was worth a try. Even if I had not succeeded in lowering the BG to non-diabetic levels, I would have lost nothing. Apart from some of the weight. So either way I would not have been heart broken. I would have felt that I had taken some control, and kept searching for something else. Or accepted that I had at least tried.

@Enclave Newcastle diet for 8 weeks is not brave. In fact for me, it was an easy solution to a long standing problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am knocking anyone that tries it and has success. I said that I just don't think it what I understand by the word cure. Maybe that is me quibbling about semantics. When folk get cancer, they are often described as being in remission and maybe that is a better description? I don't have to believe in it as a cure to think that a rapid reversal of insulin resistance is not a good thing and that it is bound to have an effect on BS levels. It undoubtedly will and the more weight that we can lose, if we need to , the better for us and our blood sugar levels. If we can regain pancreatic function( and if that is possible, that's great news for all of us, however we control our diabetes) quickly through doing it, then I see no reason not to try it, if you want to.As has been noted above, I think that Prof Taylor himself has suggested that it is the amount of weight lost and not the method that is perhso the most important thing so I think however we choose to shift the weight as soon as possible is a good thing. I know in my own case, and that is all I can really go by, that I was non-diabetic for years at quite a high weight but that events in real life pushed me above my own personal threshold and band, diabetes. I've lost 3 st since May by low carbing and have seen a significant impact on my BS levels.

A

AnnieC

I don'
I also thought the Newcastle Diet was about weight management, and as a result of the weight loss the participants' insulin resistance improved greatly as did their fatty livers, thus allowing them to be "cured" of diabetes. There are other ways to effect weight management that can have the same end results. @AndBreathe is an example of this. I am hoping to be another example in due course. In the end, for those type 2's with weight to lose, what does it matter if they do it this way or that way?
I can't understand what all the controversy is about.

I don't understand the controversy either what ever works for people has got to be good If I had a lot of weight to loose I would be tempted to try the Newcastle diet as well but my problem is trying to put weight on without eating a lot of carbs

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
. I've lost 3 st since May by low carbing and have seen a significant impact on my BS levels.

Having lost 3 stone have you wondered how you would your body would manage if you didn't continue low carbing? You may find you have done it and in remission (12% of my original body mass lost seems to be the real improvement even though I saw normal numbers at a month in to my diet). Just a question and something to think about...

BTW if you want to continue to lose weight dont go back on the carbs as the only weeks I lose weight is when I cut carb calories and not fat calories.

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T

That is amazing so well done what was your eating plan after the 8 weeks on the Newcastle diet was it just low carb
It is documented elsewhere in other threads, but briefly
After Newcastle diet I ate fresh food, not processed. A lot of veg, fish, good quality meat, eggs, pulses, cheese, skimmed milk, low fat plain yogurt, small amounts of wholemeal bread, pasta rice, sweet potatoes, fruit, used olive oil for cooking, drank moderate alcohol sometimes.so yes, fairly low carb.

Have been fairly immobile for last two years, as I have long term disability, and needed 2 major operations, the last in January this year. Have been eating uncontrollably for a while due to, hospital food, other people catering for me because I could not do anything for myself for many months post surgery. Also, slipped up badly when challenged on forum to try high sugar foods a few months ago. I did, and have found it hard to stop. I have, thankfully, found great support and encouragement from posters in other threads, and have been exercising again in increasing increments since May. I am being cautious about defending my method of 'reversing' my diabetes because sadly, I have found there are so many people who take delight in trying to discredit that. I don't understand them. Nor do I try to discredit their methods. There are many different paths and we all make choices.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the successful ones are drug free and have a normal insulin response, give them an GTT and the pass with flying colours

My colours have been brightly flying high for 3 years.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having lost 3 stone have you wondered how you would your body would manage if you didn't continue low carbing? You may find you have done it and in remission (12% of my original body mass lost seems to be the real improvement even though I saw normal numbers at a month in to my diet). Just a question and something to think about...

BTW if you want to continue to lose weight dont go back on the carbs as the only weeks I lose weight is when I cut carb calories and not fat calories.
I need to lose another 3 st Andrew- partially other health fears( I have health anxiety around my heart mainly and think it would lessen considerably if I felt thin enough not to think I was a fatty about to keel over( and yes I know as a diabetic I can never eliminate that risk) and partially vanity as I want to be thin again. I know for me carbs were at the root of an addictive relationship with food ( and I had terrible IBS eating bread) so I am in no great hurry to leap back on the wagon. I can manage a few chips and battered fish and not go above 7 at 2hrs, pub chain chips don't seem to bother me and know pitta bread and sweet chilli sauce do, so I can live with those odd forays into the carb world and try and shift weight asap low carbing.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry Douglas, but, how many dives have you done this year? Or, more to the point, how many dives have you done each month? And how many in total? Obviously you are excited with your new-found activities. I understand that, and when I first discovered all that happens beneath the waves, I was spell-bound, and of course your safety and that of those diving with you is paramount..

But, if you really were serious about doing the ND, you would get on and do it. You would find a way to fit it in in some form. Professor Taylor's papers confirm the extreme low calorie approach is not necessary. The key is the critical weight loss - fast or slow. I rather think you're enjoying basking in your pseudo normalised levels, but we don't agree on just how fantastic they actually are.

@AndBreathe What level are you qualified to?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don'

I don't understand the controversy either what ever works for people has got to be good If I had a lot of weight to loose I would be tempted to try the Newcastle diet as well but my problem is trying to put weight on without eating a lot of carbs
Then in your situation I would be increasing the amount of nuts and cheese I ate.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can identify with this. Although carbs do not spike my BG they make me gain weight. They also make me feel tired, lethargic, and ill with a lot of water retention too.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can identify with this. Although carbs do not spike my BG they make me gain weight. They also make me feel tired, lethargic, and ill with a lot of water retention too.
.Now I low carbed for 2 years and my BG's were fine but I didn't lose weight.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and I hope you can add another 3 to it... 33 years :)

Thank you.

When I started reading this thread, I was apprehensive thinking this was going to be another (to quote @AndBreathe ) willy waving contest. Thankfully, what I am getting is that most of us are being very respectful of each other and genuinely trying to reach an understanding.

I feel as if through participating in this discussion I am gaining renewed impetus to regain some control of eating and stepping away from the carbs.

Cheers everyone. You have done some good for me today. I am very grateful.

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I need to lose another 3 st Andrew- partially other health fears( I have health anxiety around my heart mainly and think it would lessen considerably if I felt thin enough not to think I was a fatty about to keel over( and yes I know as a diabetic I can never eliminate that risk) and partially vanity as I want to be thin again. I know for me carbs were at the root of an addictive relationship with food ( and I had terrible IBS eating bread) so I am in no great hurry to leap back on the wagon. I can manage a few chips and battered fish and not go above 7 at 2hrs, pub chain chips don't seem to bother me and know pitta bread and sweet chilli sauce do, so I can live with those odd forays into the carb world and try and shift weight asap low carbing.

Sounds like you are getting there. I expect those that do affect you are just fast into your system (chips generally aren't that high GL due to the oil) which you aren't used to handling. I have been through those experiments and came out hte other side but they are disconcerting. Keep going with the weight lose as that is far more rewarding than a few empty calories (unless you need them after a heavy exercise session).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe What level are you qualified to?

Master, as opposed to Divemaster, and I've done various things like Wreck and Night stuff. An advantage of spending time in a dive paradise. It was one of the downsides when we relocated two and a half years ago.....

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
.Now I low carbed for 2 years and my BG's were fine but I didn't lose weight.
Still need to eat less calories than you burn to remove stored fat reserves with enough protein to not have muscle wastage.

Reactions: 5 people
A

AnnieC

Then in your situation I would be increasing the amount of nuts and cheese I ate.
I do eat a lot of those already and full fat yogurt some butter and cream lots of olive oil and use coconut oil for cooking but still struggle to stay at 81/2st

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Master, as opposed to Divemaster, and I've done various things like Wreck and Night stuff. An advantage of spending time in a dive paradise. It was one of the downsides when we relocated two and a half years ago.....
I envy you, and douglass99. Something I would love to try, but alas it is probably beyond me now due to other disabling health conditions.