Diabetes does kill

diabetes51

Dislikes
I am old fashioned so rude people, swearing , lack of good manners.
People trying to make me live in fear of complications instead of encouraging me to enjoy life. especially those who have never bothered to educate themselves about T1 diabetes.
People who eat/sleep/drink their diabetes,and let it rule their life!
First of all my condolences to you and your children Ellen, it sounds like you have been through a nightmare and are still living it. I hope in time you will be able to come to terms with what happened, and I know it helps to have sites such as this to express your grief and concern.

This being said I am concerned about this thread being stickied, as I can see no evidence in Elllen's story that it was diabetes that killed her husband. Apparently he had been drinking, if he drank too much that could have killed him through damage to his liver, inhalation of vomit etc. She says he bit his tongue, I am wondering if he was so drunk he choked on his tongue through becoming unconscious due to the alcohol. Ellen does not say that any tests were done in his home that proved he was hypoglycaemic, rather than in an alcoholic coma. I have read through and may have missed this, but I have not found any evidence of this so far.

I think we have to be careful in presenting this story as proof that diabetes kills, without firm, positive proof that he died as a result of hypoglycaemic coma, rather than alcoholic poisoning/coma. If there is no evidence of this, then this tragic story should not be stickied. Has the person took the decision to "sticky" this tragic tale, established that there is enough evidence to say diabetes killed this man - PLEASE YOU MUST.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I hope Ellen and her family are coping as well as possible since such a terrible loss. My biological father died when i was 13, due to illcare of his diabetes as well as drug and alcohol abuse. I think it's very important to raise awareness..

I think the thread should definately stay as a stickie, but be moved into the complications part of the forum. As mentioned before it's important to highlight all issues with diabetes, success and tragedy such as this, but i don't feel it's been kept in the right place.

Dragonfly79

Dislikes
Arrogance of others, rage, hatred towards others, intolerance.
Jopar and Franki.. I feel you with the doom and gloom. I used to be like that it's because deep down I believe I was petrified and didn't want to know. It is a terrible story this and there are plently of terrible stories which to some, including myself might think well I know this and that happens I don't want to read it AGAIN. However for those in total denial it can be a big wake up call..and maybe think that it is helping someone else. I know it's horrible when someone tells you bad things because you get scared and want to bury your head in the sand but the fact is these things are a reality. But on the positive side with the right knowledge and expertise we have the power to control our diabetes and live long and fulfilling lives and that is reality too. Drinking and diabetes also... well recently I have stopped getting drunk. I have had diabetes for over 16 years and have nearly died three times (twice because of the medical system) third time due to a faulty metre. I try a lot to control the condition but it's often difficult. However I do manage now to bypass the effect the negative stories have on me and look at it in a more positive way such as it could be helping someone out there. Hope that helps.

Diabetes51 .. re your last post. Ellen's husband had a hypo which was caused by drinking I understand. The effects of that hypo then caused severe neurological brain damage which was confirmed by CT scan. Therefore I understand it was through the denial and the lack of control of the diabetes itself that he died.

I feel very sorry for Ellen.. she is so young and her husband was too. Ellen I understand this was a while ago I hope you are coping well now (hugs)! Also thanks for your post.. it has helped keep my drinking in check for now and shocked me into staying that way.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I am so sorry for your loss.
Your so right, diabetes does kill and it nearly killed me twice when I was a child.
Diabetics have to look after themselves, not just for their own health but for their families too.

danielJP

What a very sad story. I have recently been diagnosed and it scares me that something like this can happen. I am very active, I play squash, swim, don't smoke or drink and I am thinking "why me"
You sound like a lovely lady and I am sorry for your loss.

siobhan85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
diabetes
thats so frightening and Im so sorry for your loss and understand that more than ever now. im 26 with type 1, hav 2 young boys and im a single mum, beforehand i really didnt care, didnt take my insulin much, drank loads, ate wot i wanted which was never healthy, only 7 years on and im now in alot of pain with neuropathy, really struggle raising 2 kids and im always falling sick alot, so i finally got my wake up call when i was always in hospital throwin up from ketones n screamin cus i was in huge amounts of pain, worse than having children, the only thing i wish had happened was to be more educated on it, i didnt know about neuropathy until i started to suffer alot and had many sleepless nights, the doctors/consultants constantly lecture me about it but nothing is ever going to change until i get the proper help which im not, i totally want to avoid leaving my children motherless so young but everything i promised never ends up happening or is totally out my reach, i swear if im ever cured, i will do all i can to make sure people are educated more and i know its alot to take in when your first diagnosed but the scare tactic is used on fags and alcohol and should be used on diabetics to before its to late, i think it will say more lives and prevent any complications happening sooner.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. And may I just say the diabetes kills the same or more people a year than ashma dose. So why dont people know more about it? People should raise awarenes about it. And once again i am sorry for your loss and hope that in the future for you and your family is brighter.

Poodlelady

Dislikes
I dislike people who swear a lot, shout and are rude. I dislike people who tell me what I should and should not be doing when they haven't the first idea about Diabetes.
I was so sad to read your post, you did everything you could, but when a man won't listen it is like talking to the wall. Do not blame yourself, you are blameless and never mind the so called friends who are thoughtless and stupid.

My thoughts are with you and your family, God Bless you all

Angeleyes24

I am so sorry to read your horrific story and please accept my condolances. I wish my boyfriend would read this and take note xxxxx

robphpps

Type of diabetes
Type 1
diabetes isnt always accepted by the diabetic but we all have to look to the docs too. they lack the persuasion and the lack of instruction for the diabetic.i have been an insulin dependant diabetic for 15 years.because of the fact of the docs not giving me the full horror of diabetes, i now have serious complications which could have been avoided.
i am new to this forum and was so sad to hear of your loss,maybe if the docs had showed him the horrors and been totally honest, he may still be here.

schwexyeyes

Hi, I've not been on the forums for a while and this is one of the first threads I've read, first my heart felt condolences to you and your family, secondly I think this should stay as it is why should people feel scared gor telling it how it is, I've had type one diabetes since march 25th 2000, I just wish id been told about the seriousness and effects it can have on you if you don't have a good vontrol of you diabetes. I'm now finding out through having very, very severe headaches with getting my hba1c back to normal (possibly due to my blood dugars but I won't know till they've finally settled down). I always tell people when I meet then I'm diabetic and the main signs I get for hypos so should that happen they know what to do.

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
Hi
I have just read your story and tried to read it to my wife but it has choked me up so much, my condolences goes to you and all your family/children, please do not blame yourself and stay with us on these forums.
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 50 years.
My love to you all xxx

Catwoman76

Dislikes
Bad manners and rudeness
Dear joise I have just joined the forum and I am also type 1. My heart goes out to you. After reading your story I felt so sad for you and your family :( I hope you have been able to rebuild your life and you are in a happier place now. Thank you for sharing your story.

This disease is not something that people can just brush aside :(

With my very best wishes Sheena

MrsBinns

im so so sorry for your loss :(

I can relate being in deniel, i have been for many years but i do need to sort myself out for my children

Thankyou for sharing your story with us xxx

Alun marshall

I'm so sorry to here about your loss

After reading this I should try and get better control of my diabetes if not for me for my two young children

SugarPlums

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very sad story, but diabetes is the most medically mis-managed condition in the UK, and has been for years.