Diabetes/Fatigue and incapacity benefit

Len Brooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am almost 61years old and diagnosed type 2 at 43 although it now transpires that I had pre - diagnosis retinopathy. I am still working and inject Novarapid and glargine several times a day, I also have background retinopathy and am starting to get neuropathy in my feet.
I am now finding that I am also constantly tired but by early afternoon I feel absolutely exhausted and sometimes go home (I only work 5 minutes away from home) at lunchtime for a sleep.
I cannot afford to retire yet and I was wondering if I take early retirement if the condition of my diabetes would enable me to claim incapacity benefit.
Can anyone offer me the benefits of their experience on this please. I also have other health problems with depression and high blood pressure.
Len

C

catherinecherub

Hi len,
Sorry to hear you are feeling so rotten.
You do not mention if your control is good. I ask this question as most diabetics find if they can control their blood sugars then the tiredness subsides. Blood pressure is something that most Type 2's take meds for and I am sure that your depression is connected to how your diabetes is affecting you, (unless you have major personal problems/stress).
Have a look at the sticky thread for newly diagnosed explaining a suitable eating plan in Greetings and Introductions and see if it is of any use to you.
If your diabetes is well controlled and you are still feeling ill all the time then you need to discuss with your GP why you feel like this and whether early retirement and incapacity benefit is for you.
Hope this helps,

Catherine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
len
Itoo would suggest that you'll feel a lot better if you get control of your diabetes. It reads like yours is not well controlled. What numbers are you getting? I don't think you can geet incapacity benefit for T2 diabetes.
Look through this forum for ideas which might work for you in improving control.
Hana

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Incapacity Benefit no longer exists for new claimants. It has been replaced by ESA ( Employment Support Allowance)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... /DG_171894

This sounds good but is a nightmare to claim !

You need expert help and advice to fill in the claim form and you have to get 15 points on their criteria to be successful in the claim.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/ ... cwphysical

You go through an independent medical which seems to take no notice of what your own doctor says and the actual assessment is if you can do ANY work not just the work that you have been employed to do.

If you are unsuccessful in the medical you then have to go through a Tribunal where it is up to you to prove that you fit the criteria that they work from.

Len Brooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Thanks for the replies and useful website links. My last HB1AC was 8.1 but I had the fatigue problem when it was 7.5. I think it may be due to side effects of some of my meds.
I checked the scoring system for the IB and on some of it I may qualify but I have a feeling that most people will be refused first time now.
Len

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Applying for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is also a possibility; potentially can get any one of Higher or Lower Rate Mobility Component and Lower/ Middle / Higher Rate Care Component.
After age 65, only Attendance Allowance is available, and Lower Rate AA is equivalent to Middle Rate Care DLA; Higher Rate AA is equivalent to Higher Rate Care DLA. There is no equivalent to Lower Rate Care nor either rate of Mobility for new claimants over 65s.
Definitely worth getting advice from CAB or similar benefits advice body regarding filling in forms etc.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Len,
I can't help on the benefits side, but I was interested to read you're on Glargine (Lantus) which is notorious for causing extreme fatigue,depression, joint/muscle pain and ill health in many people, me included. There's a few related threads on this forum that might interest you.
As previously stated if your BG is yo-yo-ing that can make you feel pretty lousy and tired too which I'm sure you'll be aware of.
Best of luck and I hope your health improves.
Jus

Len Brooks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the info on glargine. I am going to mention it when I am next at the diabetes clinic. When I last mentioned the fatigue to them they gave me the impression it was normal.
Len