Diabetes has changed Me

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have noticed that since being diagnosed with Type 1 that not only is my balance not the same as it used to be, i get a lot dizzier and have a very unpleasant feeling. I noticed this when i went to a theme park a few months ago and i used to love rollercoasters and the adrenaline rush but i seem to be affected by my condition with unpleasant feeling during and after riding.

I am guessing this is a result of diabetes but i was interested to know what things have changed for people GOOD or BAD.

I say good because a lot of people take there diet a lot more seriously because of the disease and tend to take better care of themselves and Bad because...... well we all know why.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya Mark, do you think this feeling was associated with anxiety ? Diabetes can make us react differently to situations than we did prior to diagnosis, perhaps it's the fact we have so much to think about and particularly in more stressful environments, so thinking about what our bodies are doing, how we will react, if we are running high/low etc. So it's not so much what is happening with our diabetes but the reason of thinking about all the associated things connected to our diabetes. I went on a fair ground ride with my daughter a couple of weeks ago, one of those rides that spins round at an angle and then bounces up and down, I was more worried about my daughter freaking out and then a bolt falling off than my diabetes at that point, which to me was quite refreshing, my daughter thought it was the best and I really wanted another go !!

I am more prepared now for any event but then I think that's a good thing ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ever since my diagnosis I just seem to keep getting new diagnoses. lol. (although not really funny). I suppose the good thing about being diagnosed is that I'm a lot more aware of my bodily functions than I used to be. I notice everything. I'm able to describe things quite well to my docs.... not that they've got the answers or cures though.

With your balance it may be worth discussing with your doc if it is an ongoing thing as it may not be related to your blood sugar at all. Of course it is a hypo symptom for me and probably others, but if you're not having a hypo and you're losing balance regularly there are various other causes also. For example I have friends who have menieres disease which affects balance. Also with diabetes we're prone to infections. I had a problem for a while with recurring ear infections.... that affected my balance. Also I have iron malabsorption and that affects my balance too when it's too low. I'm sure there are a lot of other things... so worthwhile discussing with your doc. Mind you I do not tolerate rides too well either so I stay away from them as in the past I've just been too sick and dizzy from them.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

When I was first diagnosed I was prescribed Lantus as my background insulin.
Amongst a variety of reasons, one of the reasons that I disliked Lantus was the fact that it made me very dizzy… constantly.

I was complaining to my diabetes nurse that I was always feeling dizzy or lightheaded (while walking – especially when walking-, driving, sitting at my desk at work) without going hypo.

At some point, I changed my basal insulin to Tresiba and then to Levemir.
Tresiba is a wonderful insulin, so flat, I wasn’t even feeling it. I loved it!

I am now on Levemir and I like it as well. I do not feel lightheaded anymore unless my blood sugar is changing (and I am not referring to a hypo). For example, if my blood sugar is around 7 mmols and rises to a 9 or drops to a 6, I can feel it because I get slightly dizzy/lightheaded (but, it is not the constant dizziness that I used to have).

I hope this helps a little.
Regards
Josephine

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya Mark, do you think this feeling was associated with anxiety ? Diabetes can make us react differently to situations than we did prior to diagnosis, perhaps it's the fact we have so much to think about and particularly in more stressful environments, so thinking about what our bodies are doing, how we will react, if we are running high/low etc. So it's not so much what is happening with our diabetes but the reason of thinking about all the associated things connected to our diabetes. I went on a fair ground ride with my daughter a couple of weeks ago, one of those rides that spins round at an angle and then bounces up and down, I was more worried about my daughter freaking out and then a bolt falling off than my diabetes at that point, which to me was quite refreshing, my daughter thought it was the best and I really wanted another go !!

I am more prepared now for any event but then I think that's a good thing ;)
Hi, well i don't think it is anxiety as i love rides and i have always wanted to go on the biggest and best!
I just notice little things with my balance like if i have sat down for a long time and stand up, i seem to be a bit wobbly haha
I know its a common symptom to be dizzy at times but it just seems sad as i can enjoy things like theme parks.
I guess i will be the grown up who sits for there friends at the end of the ride!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, well i don't think it is anxiety as i love rides and i have always wanted to go on the biggest and best!
I just notice little things with my balance like if i have sat down for a long time and stand up, i seem to be a bit wobbly haha
I know its a common symptom to be dizzy at times but it just seems sad as i can enjoy things like theme parks.
I guess i will be the grown up who sits for there friends at the end of the ride!!
Possibly blood pressure related. esp the standing up bit. Do you get dizzy standing up to get out of a hot bath?
With Menieres, the eyes tend to flick to one side, and usually accompanied by nausea.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I too get wobbly after sitting too long and dizzy. Not as much as I used to be I sure still do. This is another reason I try very hard to keep my bs as flat as possible.

Josephine, why did you switch from Tresiba?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Possibly blood pressure related. esp the standing up bit. Do you get dizzy standing up to get out of a hot bath?
With Menieres, the eyes tend to flick to one side, and usually accompanied by nausea.

Menieres can be quite a debilitating medical condition. I used to do dog walking and one of the dog's owners has this condition and he would be doubled up, unable to walk properly, plus deafness, tinnitus and vertigo. He would be laid up for days, he was a self employed painter and decorator too. One episode was so bad, his wife had a call at work and had to leave her work and go and collect him from London by train, we live in Hampshire, then a taxi home, this is when I saw how bad the attack was.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Menieres can be quite a debilitating medical condition. I used to do dog walking and one of the dog's owners has this condition and he would be doubled up, unable to walk properly, plus deafness, tinnitus and vertigo. He would be laid up for days, he was a self employed painter and decorator too. One episode was so bad, his wife had a call at work and had to leave her work and go and collect him from London by train, we live in Hampshire, then a taxi home, this is when I saw how bad the attack was.
I agree. My mum-in-law had it once, and it lasted over a month, She had to lie flat out in bed, and could barely raise her head off the pillow without feeling giddy and sick.
Don't think this is what the OP is suffering at the moment.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
menieres is a chronic medical condition though.... then there is vertigo which is different again. I know a few people with menieres and like any other chronic condition it can affect them all differently. I agree though that with the change in body position it is likely to be blood pressure. I've had dizzy spells from lower BP before. Mind you I'm on a couple of meds that can lower BP so I just have to be careful. But I've mostly higher BP.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I too get wobbly after sitting too long and dizzy. Not as much as I used to be I sure still do. This is another reason I try very hard to keep my bs as flat as possible.

Josephine, why did you switch from Tresiba?

Hello Kristin!
I hope you are very well!!:)
I am currently using Levemir for two reasons.

The first one is, that Tresiba is a long acting insulin and due to its profile, it takes about 3 days to give a steady state.
Therefore, when I needed to change my doasage (either raise it or reduce it) I had to wait for 3 days until the new dosage kicked in. As a result, Tresiba is a fantastic tool for someone whose diabetes is quite predictable (and I did see such cases during the DAFNE course.) There are people whose basal needs do not change easily so their basal dosages are consistently the same for long periods of time. However, this is not my case (so far). Levemir gives me the flexibility to be patient for 14-16 hours and then change my dosage.

Neverthless, I do acknowledge that with Tresiba I had nothing to worry about. Its profile is completely flat without any peaks, 25% less hypoglycemic episodes in comparison to other background insulins(when given the correct dosage ofcourse), no overlaps so calculating my basal and bolus was really easy.

The second reason that I was “forced” to change was that Tresiba is a very expensive insulin and the hospital at the area where I live decided to not finance such an expensive insulin anymore. Therefore, the guideline given to doctors and nurses was to switch their patient’s background insulin to more affordable options such as Levemir and Lantus. My doctor told me that this is a guideline which is followed in other areas in the U.K. as well in an effort to minimize the costs.

Hope you have a beautiful day!
Regards
Josephine

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Possibly blood pressure related. esp the standing up bit.

It's worth ruling out anyway.

@Mark-optimistic, you can buy bp monitors for around £15 at most pharmacies so that you can keep an eye on your bp at home, I decided to buy one several years ago and I'm currently on my second monitor (Omron), if you do purchase one make sure it comes with the arm cuff and not the wrist.

Make sure to mention the dizziness/unpleasant feeling to your gp or consultant.

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I am type 1 and have been on humalog mix 25 for about 10 years I only inject twice a day. I have never heard of any of the types of insulin that some of you are on and why some of you inject so many times a day.it is still hard to manage injection 2 a day and I am nearly always on the low side.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am type 1 and have been on humalog mix 25 for about 10 years I only inject twice a day. I have never heard of any of the types of insulin that some of you are on and why some of you inject so many times a day.it is still hard to manage injection 2 a day and I am nearly always on the low side.

Is that a mixed insulin you're on? I think a lot of us here are on a basal and a bolus insulins rather than the mixed. For me I'm on lantus for basal and apidra for bolus. Yes I do have at least 4 injections per day, sometimes more. I don't mind that.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Kristin!
I hope you are very well!!:)
I am currently using Levemir for two reasons.

The first one is, that Tresiba is a long acting insulin and due to its profile, it takes about 3 days to give a steady state.
Therefore, when I needed to change my doasage (either raise it or reduce it) I had to wait for 3 days until the new dosage kicked in. As a result, Tresiba is a fantastic tool for someone whose diabetes is quite predictable (and I did see such cases during the DAFNE course.) There are people whose basal needs do not change easily so their basal dosages are consistently the same for long periods of time. However, this is not my case (so far). Levemir gives me the flexibility to be patient for 14-16 hours and then change my dosage.

Neverthless, I do acknowledge that with Tresiba I had nothing to worry about. Its profile is completely flat without any peaks, 25% less hypoglycemic episodes in comparison to other background insulins(when given the correct dosage ofcourse), no overlaps so calculating my basal and bolus was really easy.

The second reason that I was “forced” to change was that Tresiba is a very expensive insulin and the hospital at the area where I live decided to not finance such an expensive insulin anymore. Therefore, the guideline given to doctors and nurses was to switch their patient’s background insulin to more affordable options such as Levemir and Lantus. My doctor told me that this is a guideline which is followed in other areas in the U.K. as well in an effort to minimize the costs.

Hope you have a beautiful day!
Regards
Josephine
Thanks. It frustrates me that insurance companies dictate what we need and can over ride our doctors and our health. I'm sorry you found such a great insulin and now are denied. Insurance companies seem to think they act the same for everyone. Most annoying.

I am one that functions well on the same dose of lantus so happy with that. Not even sure the US has caught up with Tresiba. Lol. We're slow.

Watching your posts have you considered a pump? As I recall you like to eat what you fancy at the time and though I have never been on a pump it does seem as a good tool to give you more freedom. Carbs don't agree with my digestion so I can control things easily. If however I are arbs I would completely consider the pump. You seem very knowledgable so I'm not trying to tell you anything you don't already know.

You seem quite sweet and caring. Thanks for responding....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. It frustrates me that insurance companies dictate what we need and can over ride our doctors and our health. I'm sorry you found such a great insulin and now are denied. Insurance companies seem to think they act the same for everyone. Most annoying.
If Josephine is in the UK (which I think she is) it's a local offshoot of government health determining what is available and much of that decision is based on cost. Insurance companies don't have that say in the UK.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I am one that functions well on the same dose of lantus so happy with that. Not even sure the US has caught up with Tresiba. Lol. We're slow.

Watching your posts have you considered a pump? As I recall you like to eat what you fancy at the time and though I have never been on a pump it does seem as a good tool to give you more freedom. Carbs don't agree with my digestion so I can control things easily. If however I are arbs I would completely consider the pump. You seem very knowledgable so I'm not trying to tell you anything you don't already know.

You seem quite sweet and caring. Thanks for responding....

Hello Kristin!
Thanks ever so much for your kind words.

I’d love to try a pump and I have actually seen some pretty cute ones which are discreet and lightweight and without any tubes. My DAFNE nutritionist and my diabetes nurse also insist for me to apply for a pump and they said that they will support my application.
The “problem” is, I have a good control of my diabetes. I handle my hypoglycemias and hyperglycemias correctly and my levels are within target (most of the time).

As a result, I might not be eligible…

I wish a great day ahead!
Regards
Josephine

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If Josephine is in the UK (which I think she is) it's a local offshoot of government health determining what is available and much of that decision is based on cost. Insurance companies don't have that say in the UK.

Indeed Tim is right Kristin.
In the UK, it is the council at the local hospital that is responsible to approve a budget for the medications we use. For example, in the area where I live, the council has not approved Tresiba (because of the cost) but, the equivallent councils in London or Birmingham might have approved to prescribe Tresiba.

P.S. Hi Tim!!! I hope you are very well!! :p

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Indeed Tim is right Kristin.
In the UK, it is the council at the local hospital that is responsible to approve a budget for the medications we use. For example, in the area where I live, the council has not approved Tresiba (because of the cost) but, the equivallent councils in London or Birmingham might have approved to prescribe Tresiba.

P.S. Hi Tim!!! I hope you are very well!! :p
It's a similar case with pumps, which is one of the main reasons why they have such a low level of adult take up in the UK.

P.S. Hi Josephine, very well thanks! You too? ;)