Diabetes In Children??

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey all, I am a type 1 diabetic and have been over 25 years.

I have 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 7. Today my 7yr old daughter came back from her Dad's (was there 4 hours) and we went trampolining for 1 hour. Around 3 hours since her last meal (at her Dad's) she was really lethargic and said she felt sick, she had been guzzling water constantly since I collected her and refused any food before bed. I checked her blood sugar and it was 9.7, 2 hours later it was down to 6. I did discover her Dad had given her 2 full bars of chocolates, some oreos, an ice lolly, chicken nuggets, pizza slices, crisps and some chewy sweets!!

Am I worrying over nothing, or should I discuss with my consultant this spike in her blood sugar?
She has recurring tummy aches and has done for some time now, and recently becomes a right terror, irritable and tired very easily. I am not sure on her weight as I tend not to look at scales but she is thirsty a lot and toilet more frequently (I had put it down to the heat).

Probably nothing but I am driving myself nuts worrying over it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is something for your doctor - we can't diagnose and if it is diabetes it should be treated at the first opportunity.
I appreciate that you are concerned - but this is not the place to get a diagnosis - only support.

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is something for your doctor - we can't diagnose and if it is diabetes it should be treated at the first opportunity.
I appreciate that you are concerned - but this is not the place to get a diagnosis - only support.

Thanks for your comment. I know its not somewhere for a diagnosis I just wondering if any other parents who went through the diagnosis process with their kid could tell me anything based on their experience. I will be asking my consultant for advice on Wednesday when I see him. Just looking for support right now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hey all, I am a type 1 diabetic and have been over 25 years.

I have 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 7. Today my 7yr old daughter came back from her Dad's (was there 4 hours) and we went trampolining for 1 hour. Around 3 hours since her last meal (at her Dad's) she was really lethargic and said she felt sick, she had been guzzling water constantly since I collected her and refused any food before bed. I checked her blood sugar and it was 9.7, 2 hours later it was down to 6. I did discover her Dad had given her 2 full bars of chocolates, some oreos, an ice lolly, chicken nuggets, pizza slices, crisps and some chewy sweets!!

Am I worrying over nothing, or should I discuss with my consultant this spike in her blood sugar?
She has recurring tummy aches and has done for some time now, and recently becomes a right terror, irritable and tired very easily. I am not sure on her weight as I tend not to look at scales but she is thirsty a lot and toilet more frequently (I had put it down to the heat).

Probably nothing but I am driving myself nuts worrying over it.

Children can come down quickly with illnesses, it could be a few things, but I do understand your worry regarding diabetes. As you are concerned, keep a diary noting down her food intake, liquids and her general well being, if it continues make an appointment with your Gp. I hope she will be okay, with my best wishes.

Reactions: fraser89

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Could you call GP in the morning and try to get an a1c done? Otherwise have you noticed her being more tired, thirsty, going to the loo or losing weight? Today could be one off following the excitement of dad/food/outing with you.

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you call GP in the morning and try to get an a1c done? Otherwise have you noticed her being more tired, thirsty, going to the loo or losing weight? Today could be one off following the excitement of dad/food/outing with you.

I might give the gp ring, but they are so hared to get through to.

She has recurring tummy aches and has done for some time now, and recently becomes a right terror, irritable and tired very easily. I am not sure on her weight as I tend not to look at scales but she is thirsty a lot and toilet more frequently (I had put it down to the heat). We always go out on a Sunday to trampolining as it is an Autism special service for my Son every Sunday, so not anything out of the ordinary. She sees her dad quite a lot as well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I might give the gp ring, but they are so hared to get through to.

She has recurring tummy aches and has done for some time now, and recently becomes a right terror, irritable and tired very easily. I am not sure on her weight as I tend not to look at scales but she is thirsty a lot and toilet more frequently (I had put it down to the heat). We always go out on a Sunday to trampolining as it is an Autism special service for my Son every Sunday, so not anything out of the ordinary. She sees her dad quite a lot as well.

Could it be emotional problems, ie with her school, her peers, or school work, the family split ( but not prying) children can react to these type of things, often as a form of illness ?

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could it be emotional problems, ie with her school, her peers, or school work, the family split ( but not prying) children can react to these type of things, often as a form of illness ?

We split when she was 18 months old. School year ended on the 20th July for the summer and she loves school, we got lots of play dates planned with her friends (she is a really friendly little girl). I totally understand where you are going with it though as her sister reacted to me and their dad splitting with illness (a minute depression). There is just no change in our lifestyle, routine etc that I can think of that would trigger an illness.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We split when she was 18 months old. School year ended on the 20th July for the summer and she loves school, we got lots of play dates planned with her friends (she is a really friendly little girl). I totally understand where you are going with it though as her sister reacted to me and their dad splitting with illness (a minute depression). There is just no change in our lifestyle, routine etc that I can think of that would trigger an illness.

Thanks for your reply, it was just a thought I had. I hope you can get to the bottom of what might be the problem. Can you let us know what happens and keep us updated ? Take care x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ni @fraser89,
I would suggest safety first.
If you can condense your concerns into a short list for the GP like perhaps, her thirst/frequent drinking/urinary frequency/tiredness/tummy pain *AND family history (your TID condition) and ask for an urgent appointment.
If no joy within one day please consider taking her to hospital.
* Tummy pain is listed as a symptom of high BSL and ketones, as well as having many other causes. ( Diabetes Australia - Ketoacidosis)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To put your mind at rest I would push for a consultation with your GP. Given your history with T1 and the fact that she's drinking more they should see you quickly. If the receptionists are being difficult then say to them you know how quickly children can deteriorate with T1 so should you go to A&E instead. That usually gets you at least a call back from the GP!!