Diabetes iPhone Apps

jameshallam

Hi,

I bought myself an iPod Touch and have started using it to log my BG, Insulin, Food and Exercise. Personally I have found it really useful to track everything. The one I use is called Glucose Buddy (it's free) and I've found it excellent.

I also use another app called 'CarbFinder' which has a massive database of foods to aid my carb counting - my only issue with it is that is is very 'Americanised' so what is common accross the pond isn't as common over here!

I also have a pdf doc I found on the internet with lots of common carb values (type Carbohydrate Portion Lists into google and it is at the top). This was produced by some part of the NHS so seems quite good.

HAs anyone else found any useful technology to help them?

James

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
James

I haven't tried any of the apps you mention, and when I moved onto the pump could never find anything that did everything I wanted. Back then I had an old Psion 3a, on which I wrote a fairly simple 24 hour 7 day spreadsheet for recording bg, carbs and insulin. More importantly it also calculated correction and food boluses. When the Psion blew up (literally) I bought a Palm TX and a great little package called Documents To Go, so that I could use the same spreadsheet. Finally after much prevaricating I bought an iPhone and was pleased to find DTG also available for this great device.

The spreadsheet has evolved over the years but does the same thing essentially - calculates correction and meal boluses, but a bit more too, and more intelligently. It now works out relative sensor accuracy and suggests revised insulin/carb and correction ratios, based on the previous week's figures. Given my insulin/carb ratio varies throughout the day, I'm quite pleased with how it works out. It also records bg readings, duh! Doesn't require spreadsheet expertise to run either, definitely a bonus with me around...

I'm always on the lookout for new stuff, so I'll definitely give your recommendations a trial.

MICKYMOO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi James,

Just saw your post about the free app for your ipod touch. I posted something a minute ago about software from diabetespilot.com. It has an app for ipod touch/iphone that looks amazing.

I have copied and pasted some of the info below for you:

Records glucose measurements, insulin and other medicine, meals, exercise, blood pressure, test results, and other notes.
Tracks the carbohydrate, calories, fat, protein, fiber, sodium, cholesterol and other nutrients in the foods that you eat. Diabetes Pilot has an integrated food database with information on thousands of foods, including hundreds of fast foods.
Helps you see trends in your blood sugars, medications, diet, and other areas with various reports and graphs.
Lets you to categorize records by time of day or any other system that you'd like, further helping you to find important patterns.
Allows you to transfer your data in various ways for further analysis and communication with your health care team.

Go to the website and have a look. The only drawback I can see is that it's not free (£6.99) but looks well worth the cost.