Diabetes is stupid

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Better? Is very good. My life is very normal i dont know why you all say is sooo bad and you hate it. I dont!
I think it very much depends on what your life was like just before diagnosis. I was diagnosed as a baby, so knew no different till 2013. A friend of mine was diagnosed in the middle of a university entrance exam. No wonder he resented it at the time. Like varying metabolisms, diabetes does not affect everyone in the same way. I was so brittle it inevitably led to my transplant. Others seem to click a pen and get on with a normal life, whatever is meant by that. Glad to hear it's not a trouble to you!

Reactions: Jayden2407

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My life is normal! I dont think the diabetes life is stupid.

Maybe not but the OP is only 14 and obviously really struggling and telling them their disease isn’t as bad as another one is hugely ignorant and not at all helpful.

I’m pleased you are coping well with this lifelong and life changing condition buy they are not and obviously need sympathy and support, not their feelings dismissed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe not but the OP is only 14 and obviously really struggling and telling them their disease isn’t as bad as another one is hugely ignorant and not at all helpful.

I’m pleased you are coping well with this lifelong and life changing condition buy they are not and obviously need sympathy and support, not their feelings dismissed.

Oddly, I just see an upbeat 12 year old. English may not be her first language... ;)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The person youve written that to is only 12

D

Deleted Account

When I am getting down about my diabetes, I think about amazing people who have diabetes and still do incredible things: musicians like Este Haim, actors like Halle Berry, sportsmen like Steve Redgrave (sorry, there must be someone a bit younger but can't think of them at the moment), even politicians like Theresa May.
I may not like all of them (especially one) but they all inspire me not to give up when I have a bad day: if someone with type 1 diabetes can rule a country, I can get through my day. I bet they all have days when their BG is too high or have hypos at the wrong time or want to stuff themselves with lots of chocolate and not have to count their carbs.

Diabetes is stupid but that just makes me more determined to prove it can't make me stupid: it makes me stronger.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate my life so much since I got diagnosed , I wish there was a cure so much I want a cure badly :( And this diabetes , I dont deserve it NOONE DOES! Its living hell. Its worst. I had a happy life until I got diagnosed. my parents shout at me when I cry because they think im doing it on purpose and its hard for them too. All of this **** because of stupid illness. And what do scientists do? NOTHING. There is no cure out yet , because this illness is BUSINESS THATS WHY. Scientists prefer to spread this illness everywhere than cure it. Its not worth the money for them. It doesnt make sense for them. We are just making money for them having to go through this pain. Im sorry :( I dont want diabetes so much.
I hate it too! That **** diabetes monster!

and you are right, some companies and their shareholders and their workers are profiting by selling their insulin and gadgets to us, so we can stay alive, though no matter how poor we may feel...

But regarding the scientist and the money involved, then you would have a huge profit to make if you could find a way to cure this disease (or those diseases, considering the different types of diabetes you have). So rest assured, though some scientist and companies are happy to make a profit selling insulin and gadgets to us, then you have an equally big group of scientist and companies working every day to try and find a way to cure it also. Many good avenues have been researched and some have been close with some approaches, the real scalable cure has not yet been found. Still keeping my fingers crossed that it will happen in my lifetime, so keep the faith!

Just think about this thing: Biomedical technology just really started quite recently and even then, we have learned and accomplished so much in this field that can all contribute also as components to the Diabetes cure. Another aspect is that half of the scientists that have ever lived on earth are actually alive today and practicing their specialty. So you have more clever people working on finding a cure today than you ever had in any past history accumulated!

So best we can do is take good care of ourselves till the day we may finally 'get a cure' for that **** disease!

Reactions: muthuvel
D

Deleted Account

How, exactly?

As far as I was aware exactly the opposite is true. So I'm really interested to see how you arrive at that conclusion.

And yeah it's still stupid.
Pretty much as I mentioned: it makes me determined.
Mentally, I feel stronger because I am more determined to succeed and, probably physically stronger because many of the things it makes we determined to do are sporty/active things.

I guess I'm just stubborn and going to push very hard against any "stupid" disease that thinks it can stop me doing something.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How, exactly?

As far as I was aware exactly the opposite is true. So I'm really interested to see how you arrive at that conclusion.

And yeah it's still stupid.

I'm mentally more focused in everything I do. I'm fitter than before as I need to keep on track of it, the benefits are that I feel better, look better, blood sugars are better, I have found a way of eating that suits me and I feel 100 times better than the year leading up to DKA.

Very very close to leaving this forum.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be a real shame.. I always find your posts interesting and relevant.. please don't be put off by negative posters.

Thanks @bulkbiker , I'm by nature quite a pessimistic type of character, no harm in me, but tend to always question the good in things (part of my job). However, I found that when I was in hospital, my personality developed somewhat to needing to be a bit more positive with a different outlook on things. Do I get a little down sometimes? Still a little bit pessimistic? Absolutely, but I seem to have even surprised myself on grabbing the bull by the horns and in 6months getting my HBA1C down to "Pre-Diabetic" range, eating a low carb diet, losing 8lbs just to feel a little comfortable and now fitter than I was before (I was a keen gym goer anyway, so improving on that is great for me).

Type 1 Diabetes has brought me closer to my parents (who I was really really close with anyway), to see them jump in and give me the support they have, it's so comforting and I am so privileged to have family like that.

I have actually no idea what that long rant was about. I guess, I know what it's like to see the bad in something all the time, but like a bad break up when you are a teenager, eventually you'll have to see that ex out and about, like you have to see Diabetes everyday, and you will have to see them with their new boyfriend/girlfriend, like Diabetes may hit you with a low when you were on a roll, but eventually, you'll just get over them, notice that life goes on and it's entirely possible be happy.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be a real shame.. I always find your posts interesting and relevant.. please don't be put off by negative posters.
We need also the negative posters!
Keeps reality in check! :)

Life is rarely 'a Walt Disney happening' despite what billion dollar marketing campaigns might try and sell it to you as.
Diabetes is a de-facto negative, no matter how cleverly you try and bend it.

To me @NoKindOfSusie is amazingly honest to her/himself and direct with others about the bare fact of life with diabetes. And very consistent in his/her messaging. I applaud that! And this forum is enlightened by his/her contributions. Where else should we go and let it all hang out, if we couldn't feel free to do that among fellow sufferers?

Last edited:

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @bulkbiker , I'm by nature quite a pessimistic type of character, no harm in me, but tend to always question the good in things (part of my job). However, I found that when I was in hospital, my personality developed somewhat to needing to be a bit more positive with a different outlook on things. Do I get a little down sometimes? Still a little bit pessimistic? Absolutely, but I seem to have even surprised myself on grabbing the bull by the horns and in 6months getting my HBA1C down to "Pre-Diabetic" range, eating a low carb diet, losing 8lbs just to feel a little comfortable and now fitter than I was before (I was a keen gym goer anyway, so improving on that is great for me).

Type 1 Diabetes has brought me closer to my parents (who I was really really close with anyway), to see them jump in and give me the support they have, it's so comforting and I am so privileged to have family like that.

I have actually no idea what that long rant was about. I guess, I know what it's like to see the bad in something all the time, but like a bad break up when you are a teenager, eventually you'll have to see that ex out and about, like you have to see Diabetes everyday, and you will have to see them with their new boyfriend/girlfriend, like Diabetes may hit you with a low when you were on a roll, but eventually, you'll just get over them, notice that life goes on and it's entirely possible be happy.

I like this.

Reactions: JoeT1

Ndaud606

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At least with diabetes you have a chance to control it. It is better than cancer.
Very true, with diabetes we can control it, unfortunately cancer individuals don't have this and even though it's not very likely that SCIENTIST are going to find a cure some time soon because this really is a business to them and they make money of this because seriously let be honest if a cure for cancer or diabetes have been found all these professionals would be jobless and have no way of making money- on the other hand I do hope there are people out ther with a genuine heart that is trying hard to find a cure. Im always having my parents bpame me even though they're supportive and Im thankful for them, it can get frustrating when they think you are doing it on purpose and not getting your blood sugar levels stable(its not easy, but i try) and you have your diabetes doctors and nurses who have only studied and learnt about these things act like they have it and they know how it makes you feel and tell you off the minute you get a few highs or lows like seriously can I just get someone to comfort me geez. Getting diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 12 was a bummer for me and not gonna lie I was much happier then than now and sometimes it can get stressful and you always question yourself 'WHY MEEE?' But Im only 18 and I still have a future ahead of me, and I always thinks to myself there are others far worse off than me so I should be greatful for the technology and people we have now that are making it easier for people with diabetes as opposed to 50years ago.

Miko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Miko - how are you finding things now? Better I hope. This forum is truly amazing the support and encouragement from people helps so much :)
Hey guys, thank you for all the responses. I've eventually learned to live with diabetes and I'm able to enjoy life again. Thank you for all the support! :)

Jayden2407

Hey guys, thank you for all the responses. I've eventually learned to live with diabetes and I'm able to enjoy life again. Thank you for all the support! :)

That is fantastic! You sound so much more positive two years on :) my 10 year old was diagnosed 4 weeks ago - type 1. I was really worried how he would take things but he’s coping well thank god. We’ve so much to learn and my son will soon learn to live with diabetes too.
Stay positive :)

BrownMason

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Agree with you guys. Diabetes is really bad illnes. Im so sad for people who have it. I hope youre OK(

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am grateful to hear that you are able to enjoy life. Remember,
You have diabetes, but DIABETES will NOT have you