1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes Meds

Discussion in 'Sulphonylureas & Prandial Glucose Regulators' started by GiriV, Apr 28, 2020.

1. GiriV

GiriV · Newbie

I am type 2 diabetic and not heavy eater and vegetarian.
    on Metformin 1000mg + Vildagliptin 50mg + Glimepiride 2mg + Voglibose 0.2 mg before breakfast and I am getting excellent post lunch number 120-140....I take Metformin 500mg + Glimepiride 2mg before dinner and my fasting numbers are on high side 140-165 always.... tried reducing Glimepiride to 1mg nothing helps....can’t get good fasting numbers.
    Also, is afternoon tablet required for diabetics?
    Appreciate your help. Regards

2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It's not about whether you're a heavy eater or not, but whether you eat a lot of carbohydrates. And most vegetarians and vegans do. (Alas, the lowest carb foods come with or from something with a face). Your numbers are relatively good.... A bit high sometimes, but considering the amount of medication you need to have those numbers, I think it may be a good idea to overhaul your diet. You'd be able to cut some of the medication, as it ia s a lot and there's a finite amount of medication one can take before moving on to unsulin. It IS possible to go low carb (as all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so it's not just about sugars, but plant-based starches too), and stick with a vegetarian diet. Mind you though, if you do go low carb, the medication you're on WILL cause hypo's, so you'd need to test a whole lot, keep fast sugar on hand in case of emergency, and if at all possible, find a medical practitioner who'll help you adjust doses as you go.

"Is afternoon tablet required for diabetics" is something none of us can answer properly... We're all different. My HbA1c was very high when I was diagnosed, now it is in the normal range without any medication, purely because I cut almost all carbohydrates out of my diet. If I hadn't, maybe I'd be in the same boat as you, or on insulin already. (Probably the latter.)

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html ,-- this might help, though I am an omnivore, so do excuse all the foods you're adverse to. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/ is the vegetarian part of the forum, they could help you out.

Good luck!
    Jo

• Like Like x 2
  3. GiriV

GiriV · Newbie

thanks Jo for your reply, appreciate it. need to cut on carbs as rice or wheat with dal or lentils is main diet for me.
    What are best low carb diet for vegetarian like me? Any book or url

4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

5. GiriV

GiriV · Newbie

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Rachox beat me to it. :) But yeah, it can be done. And get ready to adore cauliflower rice. (Goes well with cheese and whatever herbs or spices you fancy).

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook