Diabetes ----- No More !!!!

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me altogether from start of October last year until June this year, in that time I lost 61 lbs in weight.

Frenchalps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congrats ! Happy for you. I got diagnosed today. I'm 30 yrs old. Pls do share more details on how you have managed to do this. Would love to follow your example !

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Saw my doctor this morning and was told that I had basically reversed my type 2 diabetes and that now I would no longer be classed as diabetic.
The surgery will still require to check my blood glucose levels every six months or yearly.
Advised to still stick to the diet and the exercise class and to keep up the good work.
Since start of October last year, I have lowered my weight from 17st 13lbs to 14st 1lb., my BMI dropped from 33 to 26,now average weekly blood glucose 5.3, three monthly reading 5.6, HbA1c 38, and blood pressure 129 / 75.
Awesome work!

Reactions: 2 people

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have a look at what I have written under "Lose Weight" within forum "Weight loss and Dieting" will give you more information on how I managed to do it.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Saw my doctor this morning and was told that I had basically reversed my type 2 diabetes and that now I would no longer be classed as diabetic.
The surgery will still require to check my blood glucose levels every six months or yearly.
Advised to still stick to the diet and the exercise class and to keep up the good work.
Since start of October last year, I have lowered my weight from 17st 13lbs to 14st 1lb., my BMI dropped from 33 to 26,now average weekly blood glucose 5.3, three monthly reading 5.6, HbA1c 38, and blood pressure 129 / 75.

Fantastic work @Steam Engineer - well done you!

As several have said, don't backslide (although it's hard not to for quite a few years after), because you will now always be susceptible to the dreaded D again.

Good luck and best wishes with all you're doing - and please write about what you have been doing, the trials and tribulations, the successes and things that didn't quite work... the NHS, DoH and Diabetes UK all need to sit up and listen!

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies encouraging me to keep up the good work, I will do my best as I am determined to keep the big "D" at bay.
Now I am being kept busy getting ready to move house into a new property, which is on a ground floor, to make it easier for me to contend with the big "D", the arthritis and the poor hearing. Now if I have to have an operation on my feet because of the neuropathy, I will be able to get discharged from hospital without any delays as I will no longer have to contend with stairs to enter my flat. No need for me to end up as a bed blocker stuck in hospital.

Reactions: 6 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies encouraging me to keep up the good work, I will do my best as I am determined to keep the big "D" at bay.
Now I am being kept busy getting ready to move house into a new property, which is on a ground floor, to make it easier for me to contend with the big "D", the arthritis and the poor hearing. Now if I have to have an operation on my feet because of the neuropathy, I will be able to get discharged from hospital without any delays as I will no longer have to contend with stairs to enter my flat. No need for me to end up as a bed blocker stuck in hospital.

@Steam Engineer

If you are referring to peripheral neuropathy there's a few options that can help.

1) GVT workouts for me have been great with the neuropathy.
2) Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) the -R version supposedly is better than the regular (cheaper version)
3) Ashitaba (AKA) Angelica Keiskei has been used in many studies http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=angelica+keiskei & in particular this story suggests it may help nerve regrowth - http://www.evaluategroup.com/Universal/View.aspx?type=Story&id=133111

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Well done and good luck with it all.

Ps. do you engineer simple or compound steam?

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can do both, but I was a steam engineer in the merchant navy a long time ago, mainly steam turbines and superheated steam oil fired boilers, also did some trips on motor vessels, majority of time spent on VLCC's.
Then became an engineer responsible for all the services within a large teaching hospital before finally retiring over five years ago.

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I just noticed this thread for the first time. Congrats on your success! My success has mirrored yours, (50lbs lost in 9 months and hA1c = 5.7 as of two days ago), only no one has told me that I am no longer diabetic.

Actually, I am a little confused because there seems to be some folks that say: "once a diabetic, always a diabetic." Is it debatable or just differing opinions? I don't want to start a debate here, that's for sure. My own feeling is that if I gain the weight back my blood/glucose will probably revert as well. Whereas someone else my current weight, that gains 50 lbs, has a chance of not being diagnosed. Of course, that's just my own intuition and has no basis from research or anything.

At the end of that day I am convinced that my health will not tolerate my giving up on my diet and exercise. Whether I am still technically labelled a diabetic won't change how I take care of myself. Still, I imagine that it would be nice to drop the label for other reasons. For example, in my line of work I am required to get a physical every two years but that gets changed to every year if I am "diabetic." As far as I know, I will have to stick to the annual physical regime forever, regardless of my numbers.

Any thoughts from other on this would be welcome.

For the record I began this journey last Feb @ 54 yrs old, 6'2", 260lbs., HA1c = 9.5.

Low carb but not high fat diet and regular exercise.
Am now 55, 210 lbs, HA1c = 5.7
I personally believe that the exercise is just as important as the weight loss. At least for me.

Regards to all and good luck to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am of the same opinion, that if I was to relax the diet and exercise too much that the diabetes will come back. Also that it will be harder to get it back into remission for a second time.
Therefore the exercise and diet has to continue as I am so far medicine free and intend to keep it there.
I still have the annual checks for diabetes done, but that is just a formality now.
It was my doctor that told me that technically I was no longer diabetic and if a test was done it would not show up as being relevant to diabetes.

Reactions: 10 people

lastplace

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done to you. I have done the same thing also. I went from a 56 inch waist to 34 inch now I lost 12 stone in weight. I also reversed my diabetes through exercise and diet. Was given metformin medication but never took it. Again well done to you. And keep it up.

Reactions: 9 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well done to you. I have done the same thing also. I went from a 56 inch waist to 34 inch now I lost 12 stone in weight. I also reversed my diabetes through exercise and diet. Was given metformin medication but never took it. Again well done to you. And keep it up.

Well done; you both are prime examples of how lifestyle-caused type 2 diabetes can be reversed with the correct approach.

But also from my perspective - as a type 1, your experiences give me the assurance that the right lifestyle changes can help me take control of my diabetes.

Thank you both for sharing your stories.

Best wishes,
Conrad

GaryR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first post - I love reading positive stories. Thanks for sharing. I was diagnosed Type2 in September 2015 with HBa1c bg at 49mmol and cholesterol at 6.1 - blood pressure was 178/115. At this point i was just over 15stone and height is 6'1". Im now on statins and blood pressure tablets and had HBa1c just before Christmas, now wigh 12st 9lbs cholesterol is 3.0 and bg was 32! Blood pressure just below 120/80 now consistently. Im still 6'1" too!I was so happy at those figures - all down to exercise and diet - i need to keep it up though - its a very scary experience reading and informing yourself what could happen. My eye results indicated background retinopathy but dont need any follow up treatment and will go again in 12 months time. Good luck to everyone ........

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello GaryR, your figures are looking very good,..so keep up the good work,,,,I will have to get my bum in gear and set myself on the road,,, to a smaller everything,,especially the bum,!!!!
So to all the new year is a fresh starting point,,,especially myself,,,,,and the same goals apply,,to get the numbers down,,get free of so much medication,,,,,so I will try my best,,,,keeping the dream alive,,,killing off the diabetes,,,,,ttfn from Karen.

Reactions: 7 people

GaryR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Karen - its real a numbers game we play all the time - and although it takes concerted effort and discipline it can be done - even for the bum...ive already got loads of clothes that dont fit anymore, particularly trousers/jeans.

Y

Yorkshire_Ian

Well done Steam Engineer!! Your letter has given me hope. I was diagnosed with Type2 a couple of months back, but it is diet-based. Since cutting out or reducing 'junk' food, I have lost over half a stone and my blood pressure is about the same as yours. I am to have my first meeting with the dietitian in January and am looking forward to that. I have had an eye test but because the results were unclear I have to have another: a slit lamp test. I have had cataracts for some years so perhaps it's now the time to remove them. My wife was diagnosed with Type2 earlier in the year but she is on medication, which I want to avoid. All the best to you all. Ian

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
If you have a look at what I have written under "Lose Weight" within forum "Weight loss and Dieting" will give you more information on how I managed to do it.

Heres the link for anyone who wants it http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lose-weight.75448/#post-833999

Congratulations, I too lost 5 stone (70lb) and managed to come off insulin and have maintained that weight loss and had HbA1c's in the mid 5's for the last 6 years now.

Keep up the good work.