Diabetes T2 and shingles

Lazycat6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am type 2 diagnosed March Hba1c 103 now down to 41,diet controlled only now, but have just been diagnosed with shingles, v painful and spreading, just started antivirals anyone else had this and did they avoid complications?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m type 2 and had shingles a couple of years ago. I am a retired infectious diseases nurse so recognised it early and got antivirals very quickly, I had no complications. Let us know how you get on.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Type 1 and “caught” shingles a couple of years ago.
The pharmacist diagnosed it and I got anti virals on the third day.
The pain lasted about a week and I experienced no complications.

Reactions: Rachox

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on achieving a much improved HbA1c result in 7 months.

I am type 2 diabetic and developed shingles in early 2015, but thankfully no complications.
It's a painful and debilitating illness. I hope your GP has prescribed effective pain relief.

Last edited:

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes and yes. I wouldn't recommend shingles to anyone but it ran its course in a textbook manner and I took no meds for it at all.

Reactions: LivingLightly

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Years ago, I got it in the back of my head and the edge of my ear. It started on a Friday, by Monday when I saw a doctor he said that unfortunately it was too late after the onset for drugs to make a difference. It wasn't too bad when I was awake & upright, but it kept waking me at night every time I rolled on the affected area.

I do get the odd cold sore and start treating that as soon as I get a 'strange' feeling in my lip, and I'll be putting my arm out for the shingles vaccine as soon as I can.

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Years ago, I got it in the back of my head and the edge of my ear. It started on a Friday, by Monday when I saw a doctor he said that unfortunately it was too late after the onset for drugs to make a difference. It wasn't too bad when I was awake & upright, but it kept waking me at night every time I rolled on the affected area.

I do get the odd cold sore and start treating that as soon as I get a 'strange' feeling in my lip, and I'll be putting my arm out for the shingles vaccine as soon as I can.
To be clear, shingles and chickenpox are caused by herpes zoster, while cold sores are due to herpes simplex. Currently, AFAIK, there is no vaccine to protect against cold sores.

That said, prompt treatment of cold sores tends to shorten healing time and avoids the risk of secondary infection.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachox

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And I'm joining the club now as well :( (well I'm T1 rather than T2) - found a rash yesterday, docs said it was shingles this morning - have now got antivirals - so far its only a really annoying itch (that I'm desperately trying not to scratch), and what seems to be an on and off mild headache (though that could be anything and not related)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I'm joining the club now as well :( (well I'm T1 rather than T2) - found a rash yesterday, docs said it was shingles this morning - have now got antivirals - so far its only a really annoying itch (that I'm desperately trying not to scratch), and what seems to be an on and off mild headache (though that could be anything and not related)
I had a headache with shingles both times too

CATHYJAY

I got diagnosed 3 weeks ago with shingles, I am Type 2, still have severe back pain, stomach bulge, still itchy and have a numbness around my stomach where the rash still is. Will need to go back the doctors. Problem I have is that I'm due for another diabetic blood test, concerned because reading medical reports state that your blood sugar can be affected up to 6 months! My last two blood tests taken last year have come back high, so God knows what this one will be!!!!!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got diagnosed 3 weeks ago with shingles, I am Type 2, still have severe back pain, stomach bulge, still itchy and have a numbness around my stomach where the rash still is. Will need to go back the doctors. Problem I have is that I'm due for another diabetic blood test, concerned because reading medical reports state that your blood sugar can be affected up to 6 months! My last two blood tests taken last year have come back high, so God knows what this one will be!!!!!
Morning @CATHYJAY. I woudn't put off the blood work, if I were you. Your GP knows your recent medical history.
If your next HbA1c result is high, s/he may suggest a further test in, say, 3 months time, when things have settled down.

Shingles is a painful and debilitating illness. I hope your GP has prescribed effective pain relief.