Diabetes Type 2: Frequent Hypo's - Not on Insulin/Meds??

lucybella

Hi all,

Can anybody shed a bit of light on the following .. (sorry to give full story but bear with me, could be relevant!)

My OH, Nick, was diagnosed with type 2 in Sept 2014 (male, 32, was slightly overweight now borderline overweight/healthy) He was initially sent to hospital by GP with BG of 24(!) He was treated and referred to diabetes clinic at the hospital the next day. They put him on insulin (30units per day of basal/bolus) to get the BG down as quickly as possible whilst we sorted out diet. By the second appointment, 2 months later, Nick had managed to almost completely wean off the insulin (down to 4ish units every other day). His HA1c had come down from 10 to 7 so doc told Nick to come off insulin completely and go onto Metformin (1500g daily). Metformin led to side effects and his BG and overall wellbeing was better without it so after only a week of trying Metformin, Nick stopped that too pending the next appointment in two months. Third appointment, last month, and Nick's HA1c had come down to 5.6 (YAY!) just by diet, exercise and constant monitoring. Doc told Nick to keep doing what he was doing and to see him again in 6 months. Since then, last month, we've noticed that hypo's are occurring in the afternoons when Nick does some physical work (he's a groundsman). BG drops to in the 3s and he gets the usual symptoms.

My question is, is this normal for a diabetic without the presence of medication? I've searched everywhere online and everything I found just refers to when a diabetic is on medication. Nick's diet isn't a strict diabetic diet as such, he doesn't eat white bread/cakes/sugary drinks anymore and he'll rarely have a bit of choc. It's not like he's on a completely strict no sugar diet and he has to have decent size carbs to fuel himself at work. I'm just worried that the summer is his busiest time physically (work/sports) and if he's having hypos now then it's likely they'll happen a lot more throughout the summer!

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucy x

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't sound like he is a true t2 maybe a Reactive Hypoglycaemic, perhaps you should look at the thread especially for RH will tag @Brunneria as this is more her line

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,

Can anybody shed a bit of light on the following .. (sorry to give full story but bear with me, could be relevant!)

My OH, Nick, was diagnosed with type 2 in Sept 2014 (male, 32, was slightly overweight now borderline overweight/healthy) He was initially sent to hospital by GP with BG of 24(!) He was treated and referred to diabetes clinic at the hospital the next day. They put him on insulin (30units per day of basal/bolus) to get the BG down as quickly as possible whilst we sorted out diet. By the second appointment, 2 months later, Nick had managed to almost completely wean off the insulin (down to 4ish units every other day). His HA1c had come down from 10 to 7 so doc told Nick to come off insulin completely and go onto Metformin (1500g daily). Metformin led to side effects and his BG and overall wellbeing was better without it so after only a week of trying Metformin, Nick stopped that too pending the next appointment in two months. Third appointment, last month, and Nick's HA1c had come down to 5.6 (YAY!) just by diet, exercise and constant monitoring. Doc told Nick to keep doing what he was doing and to see him again in 6 months. Since then, last month, we've noticed that hypo's are occurring in the afternoons when Nick does some physical work (he's a groundsman). BG drops to in the 3s and he gets the usual symptoms.

My question is, is this normal for a diabetic without the presence of medication? I've searched everywhere online and everything I found just refers to when a diabetic is on medication. Nick's diet isn't a strict diabetic diet as such, he doesn't eat white bread/cakes/sugary drinks anymore and he'll rarely have a bit of choc. It's not like he's on a completely strict no sugar diet and he has to have decent size carbs to fuel himself at work. I'm just worried that the summer is his busiest time physically (work/sports) and if he's having hypos now then it's likely they'll happen a lot more throughout the summer!

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lucy x

Hi Lucy,
I have the condition called Reactive Hypoglycaemia.
It happens when you digest high carbs and sugars.
You spike quickly and for some reason you flush insulin and you drop slowly and instead of normalizing you keep going low into hypo.

Your story of your partner is very similar.

We have a thread in 'ask a question' forum.

Also there are other threads.

If you use the search function you discover a few threads 'reactive Hypoglycaemia' or 'according to my consultant' also my blog. Which tells my story it is called 'a reactionary'

Ask questions or tag me or @Brunneria to just talk.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lucybella , and welcome!

Have a search for those threads on reactive hypoglycaemia, and see if the information fits.

In answer to your questions, no, I don't think it is normal to hypo regularly after lunch as a med-free type 2.

But if I had carbs for lunch, that is exactly what would happen to me... And I do have RH

My solution is to eat very few carbs and fill up on other stuff (a classic ketogenic diet of veg, salad, meat, fish, cheese, eggs and replace the carb calories with fat calories).

I use mayo, cook with coconut oil, and have cream in my coffee.

If your husband is used to sandwiches and carbs for lunch it can be a bit of a transition, but perhaps worth a trial rather few days, to see whether the afternoon hypos disappear.

My packed lunches often include stuff like this:
Crustless quiche (no pastry)
Pork scratchings (instead of crisps)
Cold meats
Sliced cheeses
Cherry tomatoes
Cold sausages
Pork pie (doesn't spike me like a sarnie would)
Greek yog
Berries n cream in a pot
Bulletproof coffee
Olives
Maybe an apple (may raise BG)
Salad (not always practical
Hummus (by the spoon)
Homemade low carb cakes and biscuits using almond flour and sugar substitutes
70% cocoa solid choc

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As he is physically active, and at his busiest at this time of year, has he tried just eating a little more at lunchtime, to see if that helps at all? I'm not suggesting a carbing gorge, but a bit more decent food. Could he just be running out of energy?

I'm not questioning anyone else's opinion, just wondering, and starting at the simplest beginning.

Good luck with it all.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As he is physically active, and at his busiest at this time of year, has he tried just eating a little more at lunchtime, to see if that helps at all? I'm not suggesting a carbing gorge, but a bit more decent food. Could he just be running out of energy?

I'm not questioning anyone else's opinion, just wondering, and starting at the simplest beginning.

Good luck with it all.

I have a similar occupation (part time), I only have a low carb lunch, more than likely a single ham sandwich made with Bergen bread, with a bit of salad, mixed leaves and a tomato with a small Apple as an afternoon snack.
If he eats a fairly high carb lunch then has nothing till tea, then the low is because he probably needs to eat little and often. Preferably low carb.
@Brunneria has given you loads of low carb ideas.

Keep posting, let us know how you get on.