Diabetes UK Event South London

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
After being asked for info on this event I thought I would post it here :D

ladybird64 said:
Sid, any chance of a bit more info about the event?

I'm hoping to get to the one near me but hate walking into something if I don't have a rough idea what is going to happen!

No measuring of waists or any of that malarkey is there? :oops:

No Ladybird there is nothing that will make you uncomfortable, in fact they made a big point of making sure everyone felt at ease.

On arrival there was tea, coffee and chocy biscuits :shock: I imagine they were courtesy of the caterers at the venue, but get past those and its all OK.

Two DUK employees and a Professor of Endocrinology ran the event and were looking for opinions on what would make a good structured learning course for diabetics, newly diagnosed and longer term diabetics as well who are sadly often passed over for DESMOND and XPERT courses. So what they wanted was our opinions on what diabetic training diabetics should have.

They split us into four groups, there were seven or eight people in mine all T2 as the new course will be aimed at us T2's and we all discussed what we thought a good diabetic service should look like in an ideal world and then collectively wrote down our ideas, whilst we were doing this the two DUK employees and a Professor Angus (cant recall the surname :oops: ) who is heading up the team responsible for the new course wondered around leading the discussion if and when it went stale or off course.

My table had one lady who has been diabetic for 40 years who didnt seem to know much about it TBH but she cheered me up as she was so cheerful and positive and appeared to be in fine fettle too with no obvious complications that I could see. Imagine what we can achieve by owning our diabetes from an early stage? :D

Lunch was sandwiches and fruit but at least the sandwiches were wholegrain bread, again supplied by the venue I suspect, the lady I was chatting to low carbs and just eat the filling of a sandwich and some fruit, I had taken my own sandwich anyway so it didnt bother me.

The afternoon was more group discussion but in just two larger groups this time which obviously had to be well chaired to stop everyone talking at once but we were a sociable lot and there were no problems. The afternoon session was discussing what we thought we as diabetics needed to be taught and what we felt would make a good comprehensive course

Three pm we said our goodbyes and headed home, all in all I would say a useful few hours that left me feeling in a positive mood that DUK was working for us and hopefully doing something constructive, something you dont hear on here much these days. It was a pleasure to meet with other diabetics and listen to their opinions and ideas and hopefully one or two of mine may have hit the mark too. It was a bit of a surprise to see how most diabetics are almost completely in the dark over almost every aspect of diabetes and I think it is important that this is rectified and that those who wish to be educated at least have the opportunity to do so.

The one thing that almost everyone was saying was to remark on the confusing and conflicting information they were being given on diet, on one visit being told cut down the carbs and then six months later being told yes you must eat more carbs, and dont forget these are people not as lucky as we to have this great resource to get ideas from.

Overall I came away thinking that diabetics deserve to be better informed about the physiology of diabetes and how to self manage it, we know there is no 'one way' to control it but at least give us the education and the tools (test strips) to do it. The lovely lady I sat next to told me she was OK with injecting her insulin once a day but hated the finger prick test so your never going top please all the people all the time, but at least DUK are trying.

You will have a great day out Ladybird, meeting fellow diabetics and there was non of the bickering that sadly goes on here too much nowadays.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Thanks for the info Sid, I am hoping to get there but may not be able to due to difficulties on the home front..will do my best though.

You know that I will have to comment on the biccies if offered though.. :lol:

I have had practically no contact with HCP's regarding my diabetes and have gleaned all my information here. I think that no matter how much bickering we do on here, the one thing we all have in common is that we agree about the importance of self management of our condition, in particular regarding self monitoring.

I have got a multitude of topics that I would like to see touched upon, mostly issues that have been raised on the forum (and no, not just about diet !) so I will go in with an open mind.

Except regarding choccie biscuits-I can't let that one pass!! :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sid
i find DUK meetings friendly and the staff lovely. There've been a couple of changes lately and I'm due to go to an event on 26th March at DUK headquarters in Camden. I'll report back if people are interested. I find the staff I meet are interested in what we diabetics have to say. A few of them are diabetic themselves. The lunch rovided is usually ordered from somewhere lik M&S, although when meetings happen at the BMA, they have an in-house service.
I'm like the lady you met Sid
I eat only the fillings of sandwiches. I don't find wholemeal bread any better than white, but burgen is ok in SMAALL quantities.
It still amazes me how many diabetics have biscuits with htheir coffee.
Hana

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hana, this was the original request for participants, are you going to a North London version of the same thing?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=26249

If so, I would really like to hear you feedback too, see if it is any different!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
hanadr said:
I'm due to go to an event on 26th March at DUK headquarters in Camden. I'll report back if people are interested.

yes I would be most interested Hana, are you involved with the Diabetes Voices thingy?

hanadr said:
It still amazes me how many diabetics have biscuits with htheir coffee.
Hana

Yes I know what you mean, when I went to refresh my coffee I noticed all the biscuits had gone, along with quite a few sugar lumps too :shock:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, guess it is time that I posted my little feedback on the day I attended. By the sounds of thing, the staff were the same, we also had Professor Angus who was obviously taking great interest in what we were saying (we too split into groups, three tables..ours being the rowdiest!).
I would basically replicate what Sid has said. I too was surprised to find the biccies and pure fruit juices on the table. When questioned, the DUK rep said that if they don't put these items out, people moan. :roll: Tough thinks me. Anyway, nice lunch albeit sarnies brown and white, lovely fruit platters but OMG..a massive plates of sticky cakes. I mean come ooooon..I di register my disapproval of that when I emailed one of the organiser, she took the remarks on board.

It was obvious the test strip issue had been done to death at previous events as the DUK man said he didn't want the whole sessions taken up with that, fair enough. We focused on what we needed at diagnosis and afterwards, as well as the many shortcomings of the present NHS advice. It was an interesting day which I actually enjoyed very much.

The most apparent problem uniting practically all in the room (we all got together in the afternoon) was that so many people felt abandoned. There was a lady who had been on insulin for 7 years, whose numbers were still running very high and who was obviously desperately depressed. She pointed out that the info available now (like Desmond)was not available for her when she was diagnosed..she was bascially told what to do (no prizes for guessing) and left to get on with it.

I am a big lady but I sat next to a lady who was considerably larger than me. She was embarrassed, low, unsure of what to eat, what changes to make..of course she helped herself to a large slice of the cake on offer. I felt upset and angry but primarily for her. She has had no support at all and this was the common denominator. Diagnosis, tablets then get on with it.

Diabetes UK have got to listen and take on board what so many are saying, if they truly want to represent all diabetics then they need to listen to ALL diabetics. I have faith in Professor Angus who sat writing busily and asking pertinent questions, maybe some good will come of it all.

I would definitely go on a similar session if one was held again..we can spread the message that it isn''t all doom and gloom at the same time! As well as the cutting carbs message of course... :D

sallylondon

I'm afraid I went to one of these in South London about a year ago. It didn't start on time, my group wasn't well chaired / organised and also in my group people were allowed to rant away without being kept on track. The lady leading my group did not seem to know the difference between Type 1 or 2.

I felt the spread of food used to entice people to come (cakes, biscuits, juices, sandwiches, sausage rolls, samosas) gave out all of the wrong messages. People had plates piled high with everything and lots went back for seconds.

I am not the most knowledgeable about all of this yet and I was trying not to be judgemental but I know that 85% of the people I talked to didn't have a clue about trying hard to help themselves or feel like they could question governmental advice given. Possibly because it was held in the middle of the day, the range of people there was limited with most overweight, average age 65 ish, mostly retired. ( I am 55 , overweight and retired!)
A lot of the people seemed to be well-known to the organisers so I wondered how much new input was being given. Evening meetings might have helped draw in a wider range of ages / experiences.

I walked out as I just couldn't deal with all of it (and that was before I even knew about low-carbing.) Maybe things improved with subsequent meetings.