Diabetes UK-Say goodbye to fad diets

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My T2 disguised itself as a bad knee, which prevented me from riding my bike.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well they do admit that low carb lowers blood glucose. They have to look at the bigger picture that it is only treating diabetes but what about the rest of our body They will probably want to know the effects of a low carb high fat diet when done permanently over many years and for many that could be over 30 years and if it would cause any problems to the body

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well they do admit that low carb lowers blood glucose. They have to look at the bigger picture that it is only treating diabetes but what about the rest of our body They will probably want to know the effects of a low carb high fat diet when done permanently over many years and for many that could be over 30 years and if it would cause any problems to the body

I do not see the problem with low carb being responsible for all of my markers returning to normal. If this continues long term then job's a goodun, long may it reign.

Reactions: johnme

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah yes, I remember that one now. Surely DUK could have chosen a less controversial 'partner'? Three years seems like a long time. A bit like a presidential term... (I could say a government term, but given the current state of affairs...)

For a fuller picture of what was involved, Britvic's press announcement said that it a large part of it was to do with funding DUK's Make the Grade program, which seems to be aimed at raising awareness and care levels for T1 children in schools, which seems thoroughly worthwhile to me, given the number of posts we see from frustrated children and parents about what they have faced at school.

The release also mentions that 94% of their brands, or 72% including Pepsico, are low or no sugar.

It doesn't seem to me to be the deal with the devil which many are making it out to be.

https://www.britvic.com/media-centr...d-diabetes-uk-announce-three-year-partnership

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...ampaigning/type-1-diabetes-make-the-grade?amp

Reactions: therower and Diakat

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I’m not sure if all “ types” of diabetics have had to go looking for diabetes.
For some, diabetes comes looking for them.
Nobody goes looking for diabetes. It was an obviously facetious comment regarding the advice given by Diabetes UK.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not see the problem with low carb being responsible for all of my markers returning to normal. If this continues long term then job's a goodun, long may it reign.
We are all different though many it may suit them forever others may find they have problems with it long term none of us know what will happen

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We are all different though many it may suit them forever others may find they have problems with it long term none of us know what will happen

Things you will never hear from a GP: I'm sorry but all your markers are normal and I must refer you to...

So, we know the long term effects of the modern western diet. A diet lower in carbohydrates has been practised for a century or more and fasting for far longer than that. N.B if Prof. Roy Taylor can deem 4 years as long term then that time frame should be acceptable for other research studies, surely?

M

Member496333

Humans evolved eating a low carbohydrate diet. It’s reasonable to asume that it’s safe for the majority. Certainly safer than the one that is currently killing everyone.

Reactions: Flora123

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree - certainly my current low carb diet is much closer to the food I was brought up on than my more recently abandoned (and certainly not preferred) high carb offerings.

M

Member496333

Approximate timeline;

2 million B.C. - eat animals. Humans learn to walk on hind legs and dominate the planet.
Ancient Egypt - agriculture. Heart disease and tooth decay.
1940 - vegetable oil.
1955 - heart disease skyrockets.
1980 - fad diet introduced to fix heart disease.
2000 - heart disease, metabolic syndrome and death now common place.
2019 - please follow the fad diet like we told you to!

If it weren’t so tragic it would be hilarious. Humans - incedibly clever and incredibly stupid in equal measure.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I
Approximate timeline;

2 million B.C. - eat animals. Humans learn to walk on hind legs and dominate the planet.
Ancient Egypt - agriculture. Heart disease and tooth decay.
1940 - vegetable oil.
1955 - heart disease skyrockets.
1980 - fad diet introduced to fix heart disease.
2000 - heart disease, metabolic syndrome and death now common place.
2019 - please follow the fad diet like we told you to!

If it weren’t so tragic it would be hilarious. Humans - incedibly clever and incredibly stupid in equal measure.
Rather a simplification explaining over 2 million years of changes in human diet and health in one post! Two small points; many of today's health problems only have time to develop due to increased life expectancy and if we didn't have agriculture, most people would die of starvation.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's interesting (and worrying) that they say this. I am personally prepared to accept that in an ideal world (one without diabetes) the advice is sound. Our bodies are made to have all food groups - I firmly believe this. However as diabetics we have an intolerance for carbs (ALL carbs - although I do believe some are worse than others). The level of intolerance is one thing that makes us all different in what we can and do eat. Personally, I have cut out adding sugar to anything, I try and get reduced or sugar free everything, and I have cut down on all carbs, and banished to obscurity the more refined varieties (white flour etc).

I do eat whole grain bread, legumes and pretty much all vergetables - although I have reduced dramatically my potato intake and do not have rice anymore (I don't like brown rice and white rice is so refined). This seems to be currently working for me so great. However I know it would send many people's blood sugar through the roof.

I wouldn't mind if their advice was something like "It's best to eat this kind of diet - when you can - but if it causes you health problems then there are other diets that may suit you better". They don't though, its their way or the highway (to an early grave).

Reactions: zauberflote

Hotpepper20000

I must add to this discussion that not everyone ate their way to type 2.
I have PCOS that comes with insulin resistance.
Environmental factors also play a role in health issues. I don’t think it is a coincidence that the increase of plastic in our world also coincides with an increase of metabolic disorders.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For a fuller picture of what was involved, Britvic's press announcement said that it a large part of it was to do with funding DUK's Make the Grade program, which seems to be aimed at raising awareness and care levels for T1 children in schools, which seems thoroughly worthwhile to me, given the number of posts we see from frustrated children and parents about what they have faced at school.

The release also mentions that 94% of their brands, or 72% including Pepsico, are low or no sugar.

It doesn't seem to me to be the deal with the devil which many are making it out to be.

https://www.britvic.com/media-centr...d-diabetes-uk-announce-three-year-partnership

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/type-1-diabetes-make-the-grade?amp
DuK need to raise a lot of money (£3 millon) so it is understandable that they are looking for corporate partnerships but no matter how it i s dressed up as an initiative focused on type 1 kids, Britvic are looking to gain by the assocaiation with a health related charity aka a 'health halo'.
Whilst I'd be glad of a sugary offering if having a hypo, 90% of diabetics are type 2 and even 'no sugar or low sugar' products do little to help those people reverse their insulin resistance.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Low carbing is the best liver detox I've found. It can resolve fatty liver, for me. Faddy or not, it repairs my liver so I'll always use it in the event of fatty liver diagnosis. Fatty liver stops weight loss. Fact.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
DuK need to raise a lot of money (£3 millon) so it is understandable that they are looking for corporate partnerships but no matter how it i s dressed up as an initiative focused on type 1 kids, Britvic are looking to gain by the assocaiation with a health related charity aka a 'health halo'.
Whilst I'd be glad of a sugary offering if having a hypo, 90% of diabetics are type 2 and even 'no sugar or low sugar' products do little to help those people reverse their insulin resistance.

My only interest in Britvic is that I quite like a splash of their Robinsons Summer Fruit juice in my tap water, and I am not naive enough to take everything a major company says at face value, but I note in passing that in their commentary on the DUK partnership, they mention at the five bullet points near the foot of the page that, amongst other things, 99% of their advertising spend in GB was on no/low added sugar drinks, have a policy that they advertise nothing to under 12s, no higher sugar drinks to under 16s, since 2005 have only advertised sugar free cola, pulled added sugar Robinsons in 2014, and were the first to introduce a stevia sweetened drink in 2012.

Needless to say, I imagine none of that will be enough to satisfy the utopian keyboard warriors, but, speaking as a T1 who still recalls how foul the early diet drinks were when I was dx'd 30 yrs ago, which tasted of TCP, I am glad they are making those sort of efforts.

Some of what they are doing, in terms of advertising etc doesn't seem to be a million miles away from what some posters on this site have been calling for - introducing sugar free options and not firing high sugar options at youths.

They are a soft drinks manufacturer, and it is not their job to find a solution for insulin resistance.

DUK seems to have an active involvement in those sort of issues. Their projects page linked below lists the 114 projects they are currently funding.

I wouldn't be surprised if some posters were to now spend some time nit-picking and finding loopholes in the validity of those projects. I've looked at a few of them - there are descriptions of the docs behind them and the approach - and they seem to represent a wide array of things worth looking at: no-one knows where the answers to some questions are going to come from.

There are obvious differences in approach between DUK and this site. Each to their own - it's a free world, which is fortunate seeing as some posters have suggested their activities should be banned.

This site does its bit for promoting low carb Fair does. DUK does its bit in its own way, and I think it makes many posts on this site look juvenile to criticise DUK so relentlessly when that site has actively funded so much worthwhile research, and, from my point of view as a libre using T1, has also been very visible on the libre campaigning front, much more so than this site.

DUK, as you say, needs to raise money. They are operating in a world where that is not an easy thing to do and it is just far too easy to criticise the judgment calls they have made. I'm sure posters here will have lots of useful guidance on which particular companies they should have partnered with instead.

I am under no illusions here. I don't expect I will have convinced anyone here that the partnership is a good thing and Britvic are not the devil, but I would encourage posters to at least consider the tone of the language they use: the constant slagging of practically everything DUK does is, well, tiresome.

https://www.britvic.com/sustainable-business/healthier-people/diabetes-uk-partnership

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/research/our-research-projects

Reactions: therower

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to see where we are all - apparently - going wrong - take a look at the article 'I'm a type two diabetic what can I eat' which is linked to the original article.
It would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous.