Diabetes UK & Tesco

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Me, never shop in Tesco nowadays and this actually makes me less likely to!!

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
For the record, I may have been to a Tescos when I was in Edinburgh in August of 2012 playing in the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, but it was only once or twice and for sure I did not buy anything remotely healthy. I will be in London next month and I will probably not be going to a Tescos, but you never know - I may pop in if I see one.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it makes people look and shake their heads in disbelief ! It was a huge error and Tesco have already apologised. Lesson learned hopefully.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, it makes people look and shake their heads in disbelief ! It was a huge error and Tesco have already apologised. Lesson learned hopefully.

Sorry, can't see that Tesco have apologised?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well I've contacted Tesco. Will see how they respond to me.

I cannot see that they have apologised anywhere.

D org have sent an apology to me which I published here.

Personally i'm doing a raffle later in the year but I put in scented candles, bath bombes, the sticks stuck in oil fragrance things etc in a nice picnic hamper.

It may well be Easter and they are trying to sell raffle tickets etc but they really should ensure that the persons organising these fund raising projects are more aware.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Think I'd prefer the easter eggs ;)

Not a romantic then??!! I mainly aim at women to be honest!! Sorry, sexist... But they have seemed to be more likely to dip into their purses...probably wrong!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of years ago. I was involved in a JDRF fundraiser.. The highlight of the night was a raffle. One of the top prizes was a massive cake with white icing & the blue JDRF logo. which somebody took great trouble to make/donate.
On the cake was even an iced decorative & accurate interpretation of a the kind of glass syringe I haven't seen in over 30.odd years, complete with hypodermic needle & the additional detail of unit markings down the side of the syringe...! :cool:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thats a good prize, at least with the syringe on top etc it looks like a lot ofthought has gone into it..

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I've contacted Tesco. Will see how they respond to me.

I cannot see that they have apologised anywhere.

D org have sent an apology to me which I published here.

Personally i'm doing a raffle later in the year but I put in scented candles, bath bombes, the sticks stuck in oil fragrance things etc in a nice picnic hamper.

It may well be Easter and they are trying to sell raffle tickets etc but they really should ensure that the persons organising these fund raising projects are more aware.

It's really hard to find suitable raffle prizes that have wide appeal / minimal numbers of people excluded. Personally, I'd prefer chocolate, whether in egg or bar form, as a prize - I'd eat some over a long period of time, give away some etc. I'm not keen on scented candles etc, as I prefer air without articifial additions, although I don't have asthma or allergies. I know lots of people who have to avoid places where scented candles, oil fragrance sticks etc are used. A bath bombe can only be used if you have a bath - many homes only have showers these days.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's really hard to find suitable raffle prizes that have wide appeal / minimal numbers of people excluded. Personally, I'd prefer chocolate, whether in egg or bar form, as a prize - I'd eat some over a long period of time, give away some etc. I'm not keen on scented candles etc, as I prefer air without articifial additions, although I don't have asthma or allergies. I know lots of people who have to avoid places where scented candles, oil fragrance sticks etc are used. A bath bombe can only be used if you have a bath - many homes only have showers these days.
Ok... Besides food... What would people here like to see as a raffle prize. Me.. One of my likes would be a model kit like airfix!! Or herbs to go in a garden, a trowel and decent hand fork... But I'm strange!!

Reactions: 6 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low carb reference was simply an example of how raffle prizes and fund raising for diabetes research needs to appeal to everyone to get them to part with their money Raising the money is the only important thing not how they do it and they have raised thousands and thousands of pounds . Complaining to them could result in them no longer doing it at all as they could well think how ungrateful diabetics are to complain and who would blame them. I would not think of making a complaint or of not shopping in Tesco because of it. Surely we are better people than that and should not want to complain but rather congratulate Tesco that they are doing such a fantastic job of raising money that hopefully could help to find a cure for diabetes for future generations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok... Besides food... What would people here like to see as a raffle prize. Me.. One of my likes would be a model kit like airfix!! Or herbs to go in a garden, a trowel and decent hand fork... But I'm strange!!

Actually, I was thinking of seasonal garden stuff ! Given that the last time I was in Tesco , the sun was out, and scads of people were in the planters, tools and garden paraphernalia section !

But then again, I'm strange too, I'd be tempted by a raffle for power tools :D

Signy

Reactions: 10 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the whole I never really look what the prizes are when I buy raffle tickets etc - I look to see what the cause is and if I want to support them, any win is nice and can always be gifted to someone else if it's not suitable for myself. What I would like to win though would be a makeover with Gok Wan lol

Reactions: 8 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I think people are assuming Tesco are clever, they are just not that bright, they are in it for the money and many of the managers responsible are quite young and fresh from uni and green as they come, they will carry on making goofs, it all serves as effective self promotion but they have raised a massive amount of money and significant awareness we should be thankful for. Assuming the funds do go to jdrf and not some big wigs pocket i don't think we should criticise too much although errors do need pointing out but not with such severe criticism, we shouldn't 'bite the hand that feeds' we need their valuable resources for the research and it would be a huge blow if they pulled their funding just because we moaned too much about what is really a school boy error.

Reactions: 5 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think people are assuming Tesco are clever, they are just not that bright, they are in it for the money and many of the managers responsible are quite young and fresh from uni and green as they come, they will carry on making goofs, it all serves as effective self promotion but they have raised a massive amount of money and significant awareness we should be thankful for. Assuming the funds do go to jdrf and not some big wigs pocket i don't think we should criticise too much although errors do need pointing out but not with such severe criticism, we shouldn't 'bite the hand that feeds' we need their valuable resources for the research and it would be a huge blow if they pulled their funding just because we moaned too much about what is really a school boy error.

One thing we can be sure of - Tesco money will go to Diabetes UK, not JDRF, as the partnership is with Diabetes UK.

Simple solution would be for Tesco to offer vouchers as raffle prizes, so people can spend it on whatever food, treats, garden tools, toys, books etc that they like. Perhaps not tobacco / alcohol etc. Obviously, they'd need to put some examples of things you could buy with the voucher values to make the display attractive.

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed two products in these photos.. Coke & Cadburys.. I have also dealt with the reps from these companies when I worked for another well known supermarket firm.. I found them insidious & quietly agressive in their product placement during visits to the store.. They insist their products are in a prominent place with the biggest "face up".. I only blame Tesco & other outlets like them for alowing themselves to roll over & get the tummy tickled..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Omg I forgot all the reps that used to visit!! Totally agree:)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I agree, Sid, Tesconhave raised an enormous amount of money for research, and the irony of the display by the coke and candy's brilliant. If the public awareness of Diabetes were enhanced then Tesco would have been doing their sales figures a disservice putting the Type Two banners there so maybe we all need to work at educating the public.

Tesco's commitment to raising money for Diabetes research came home to me the other day when I found a £10 note in their car park. I handed it in to lost property, and was told that if it wasn't claimed it would be given to charity. I asked which one, and the answer: Diabetes UK.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I agree, Sid, Tesconhave raised an enormous amount of money for research, and the irony of the display by the coke and candy's brilliant. If the public awareness of Diabetes were enhanced then Tesco would have been doing their sales figures a disservice putting the Type Two banners there so maybe we all need to work at educating the public.

Tesco's commitment to raising money for Diabetes research came home to me the other day when I found a £10 note in their car park. I handed it in to lost property, and was told that if it wasn't claimed it would be given to charity. I asked which one, and the answer: Diabetes UK.

Wonder if it got claimed or got given into the Diabetes UK ?
Glad you asked the question which charity it would be handed into if not claimed .