Diabetes & Yogurts

'V'

Hi
I am very fond of fruit yogurts and fromage frais - but they all seem to be very high in sugar. Please could anyone advise me on which brands/makes are suitable for me to eat?
Thanks!
'V'

Spiral

If it is a manufactured yogurt with stuff in it, especially a low fat yoghurt, it is likely to have all kinds of stuff in it that raise the carbs.

I have just checked my fridge and have natural youghurt and a higher fat (2%) Greek strained yoghurt. The strained Greek yoghurt has half the carbs that the natural yoghurt has.

I have had a wonderful bowl of creamy Greek yoghurt with fresh strawberies this evening, after my chilli (no rice). Yum :D :lol: I much prefer the greek yogurt to the other kind.

Also, since doing this lower carb thing, I have realised my reluctance to buy yoghurt was because I don't like to low fat ones, which I always find have a really "powdery" kind of texture.

I miss the organic vanilla ones, but I think I am about to start experiementing with decent quality vanilla flavourings and greek yoghurt.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I use Alpro soya yoghurt (2.8% carb) & stir in a desert spoon of fruit juice (10% sugar.) A desert spoon of ground almonds takes the carb up to about 4%.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
as an alternative i use jersey cream with fresh fruit :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lidl does a large 1000g tub of Greek style plain yogurt, that's 10% fat,2.8% carb. It's delicious. I add a teaspoonful of their wonderful 55% fruit jam to a portion.
Yea I know the jam is full of carbs, but a teasoonful isn't much and the flavour is magic.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
The most fantastic, best, delicious yogurt in my opinion is Yeo Valley's natural. It is 5.6g carbs/100ml (same as milk as it is made from milk with nothing added) and suprisingly for a natural yogurt is not sour tasting at all but very creamy. I didn't use to like natural yogurts but this one changed my mind!