Type 1 Diabetic Alert Dogs

Diapanda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello!

I've been thinkg about getting a diabetic alert dog as I have type 1 diabetes and think that a dog could be helpful since I am becoming an independent adult. I was just wondering if I should since I am a young adult and getting a dog is a big responsibility. I am thinking of getting a poodle since I need a hypoallergenic breed. I can't find much information online about this especially not in my country so any thoughts about getting an alert dog are welcome and preferably experiences with having one!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I've been thinkg about getting a diabetic alert dog as I have type 1 diabetes and think that a dog could be helpful since I am becoming an independent adult. I was just wondering if I should since I am a young adult and getting a dog is a big responsibility. I am thinking of getting a poodle since I need a hypoallergenic breed. I can't find much information online about this especially not in my country so any thoughts about getting an alert dog are welcome and preferably experiences with having one!

Hi Diapanda - You speak about finding information "in your country". It could be worthwhile indicating which country you live in, as that could influence responses you receive.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can't find much information online about this especially not in my country

What country do you live in?

If you google

utube train hypoglycaemic dogs

there are a number of videos on training hypo dogs. You'll need to collect scent lures whenever you are hypo, so that you can use them for training the dog.

Looking at the faqs of @ert 's link, it looks like you'd need to be severely hypo unaware to qualify for a dog trained by them, though they would help you train your own if you live near enough to them.

But you are right, getting a dog is a very big commitment. At your age, I probably wouldn't do this unless my hypo awareness was pretty poor. It's not just a question of training the dog to be hypo aware, it also has to be at a very high level of training generally so that it can go out and about with you as a hypo dog. And most of the dogs initially owned by adults under 25 seem to end up living with the parents of those adults for large portions of their lives, just because it is so difficult for a young person new to adult life to find work and accommodation suitable for both them and their dog. So I'd recommend getting your parents on board for this one. (And as regards cost, it's probably cheaper to self fund a dexcom with alerts than buy, own and train a dog, so you'd only want to do this if you wanted a dog anyway.)

Good luck though. And if you do decide to do this, let us know how you go. I for one would be really interested.

Diapanda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah forgot to mention that I live on Finland and I think that there is only one organization that helps with training your own dog but even training your own dog is expensive. I asked my doctor about it but they didn't know anything about them. I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon though. Finland is a but behind with service dog training so options are sort of limited.

I just thought that it would be a good idea since I want a dog and also because I have to live alone and I struggle with trying to remember things because I am 90% sure I have ADHD (I'm in line for getting tests). I'm also just not a fan of noisy places so I'm not really out much where I couldn't take a dog with me.