Diabetic and reactive hypoglycaemic

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found out I'm type 2 on diet management but I keep having hypo's. Any advice would be welcome. Started with a water infection and weight loss of about a stone in 4 weeks, got my bloods tested and blood sugar was 22.3 . Three days later done a fasting blood sugar and it was 11.2.
Since then I was told to stop eating sugar and I've started having hypo's, got tested at work and my blood sugar was 2.7. What's going on. Any advice please

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Craig Maryport - Hello and Welcome to the Forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information that all new members receive. :)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Just found out I'm type 2 on diet management but I keep having hypo's. Any advice would be welcome. Started with a water infection and weight loss of about a stone in 4 weeks, got my bloods tested and blood sugar was 22.3 . Three days later done a fasting blood sugar and it was 11.2.
Since then I was told to stop eating sugar and I've started having hypo's, got tested at work and my blood sugar was 2.7. What's going on. Any advice please

Hi. I'm wondering about drugs here. 1] What drugs were you given during the water infection? 2] Are you on any meds for your diabetes or are you trying to manage purely by diet?
What you eating is crucial. stopping sugar is nowhere near enough. It's a start, but...the most important thing to understand about what foods will increase your blood sugar is that, effectively, carbohydrates turn to glucose in the blood....You ask for advice so, in my opinion (and you will find I am nowhere near alone in this) you need to reduce your carbohydrate intake APPROPRIATELY (and you should explore this site looking at low carb dieting) BUT...if you are reducing sugar and cabrs in the diet dramatically while on meds to lower blood sugar that's where there is risk of hypos. bear in mind that one test result on its own tells us very little. You need to keep track of or record levels (and I am hoping you have self-testing meter as this is ESSENTIAL to get things under control. Many of us here are on a low car high fat diet (LCHF) - explore that. Avoid dehydration (I drink at least 2 litres of very diluted juice a day). The good news is that through recording the food we eat and our levels before and two hours or so after, we learn a great deal about our own individual systems and the best approaches to take, and a lot us have come off meds altogether and rely purely on LCHF. I have no hypos as I am not on meds for blood sugar, and my levels have dropped to a pretty normal range so log as I keep the carbs down. So advice is TEST RECORD CUT CARBS

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, @Craig Maryport

I have reactive hypoglycaemia.
Welcome to the forum.
I will tag @Administrator to move the post to the RH forum.

Can you give us some more details, what's diabetic meds are you on?
Or other meds?
Have you been diagnosed by an endocrinologist?
What sort of diet are you on?

Do look at our forum.
We will answer all the questions you ask.
We are here to help you.

Best wishes.

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm wondering about drugs here. 1] What drugs were you given during the water infection? 2] Are you on any meds for your diabetes or are you trying to manage purely by diet?
What you eating is crucial. stopping sugar is nowhere near enough. It's a start, but...the most important thing to understand about what foods will increase your blood sugar is that, effectively, carbohydrates turn to glucose in the blood....You ask for advice so, in my opinion (and you will find I am nowhere near alone in this) you need to reduce your carbohydrate intake APPROPRIATELY (and you should explore this site looking at low carb dieting) BUT...if you are reducing sugar and cabrs in the diet dramatically while on meds to lower blood sugar that's where there is risk of hypos. bear in mind that one test result on its own tells us very little. You need to keep track of or record levels (and I am hoping you have self-testing meter as this is ESSENTIAL to get things under control. Many of us here are on a low car high fat diet (LCHF) - explore that. Avoid dehydration (I drink at least 2 litres of very diluted juice a day). The good news is that through recording the food we eat and our levels before and two hours or so after, we learn a great deal about our own individual systems and the best approaches to take, and a lot us have come off meds altogether and rely purely on LCHF. I have no hypos as I am not on meds for blood sugar, and my levels have dropped to a pretty normal range so log as I keep the carbs down. So advice is TEST RECORD CUT CARBS
Thanks for the reply, I'm not on any medication for my diabetes and have reduced my carb intake, most of the food I'm now eating is fresh prepared and I'm still having the hypo's

Thanks for the reply

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Craig Maryport

Hello Craig and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

I agree with @nosher8355 that we need a little more info from you.

What are you eating on a daily, meal by meal basis, and when are you having your hypos?

The reason I ask is that Reactive Hypoglycaemia is a different thing from the hypos people usually have when they are diabetic and is usually diagnosed by a specific set of tests involving a hospital stay. You may have it, but at this stage it may be a bit premature to assume that you have it... hope that made sense! :)

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone,
Most mornings I'm having a slice of wholemeal toast about 05:45, about 09:00 a two egg omelette with spring onions spinach and goats cheese, 11:00 salad chicken/tuna, 14:00 fruit, 17:30 various meals with a pasta or jacket potato

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the meter the doctor gave me reads about 6-7 before and around 7-9 2 hours after but I did a comparison with the one at work and mine was reading around 2 higher

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a hypo yesterday and dropped to 2.5, after I was given a full bottle of lucazade by the nurse and sandwiches I peaked at around 13 then started to drop 2 hrs later I was reading around 8.1 on my own meter

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, that lucozade/sandwich combo was a problem for you, wasn't it? Did she tell you to drink it all? She should know better!

The T1s round here use much smaller amounts to correct their hypos. I expect you probably felt like you had been run over by a bus after tha v low then high carb rollercoaster!

Is your horrendously early start in the morning because you go to the gym? If so, that is a whole new ball game. My exercise is fairly limited, and I can't offer you anything except to say that I find slow release keeps me going much better than quick. So I would eat protein or nuts rather than any form of bread before a long dog walk (which is about the only exercise I take). Exercise has varying effects on blood glucose depending on the length and intensity of it.

I have a couple of observations, but remember, I ain't a medical professional, and these comments are based on my own experience and reading.

Firstly, my body does better the fewer carbs I have in the morning. If you are the kind of person who does hyper and hypo, then the longer you can go without setting the rollercoaster off, the better. So how about some sliced cold meat, or cheese, or hard boiled egg in the morning, instead of that slice of toast?
Try it for a day or two, and see if it makes any difference.

Also, do you eat any carbs with your salad lunch. And what fruit are you eating in the afternoon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply, no the early start is for work, set off at 06:10, i felt better on the high than the low though :), will try the different breakfast and see how I am I think

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Will you please read the sticky thread on this forum of ours.
You need to know what is happening to your blood glucose levels.
The basics for newbies thread and the testing thread.
I work full time and my breakfast consists of nothing more than some protein to get through to my mid morning meal. My meals are very small and every three hours.
You need to test every time you eat before and after two hours.
The longer you don't find out the worse the symptoms will be.
This condition is manageable and you will definitely feel better when you are.

hornplayer

Thanks for the link Brunneria, I just saved that to favourites. - My DNs suggestions for low carb snacks were pineapple and bananas. Even if they weren't stupid suggestions, I'm allergic to both. Lol

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum