Diabetic and reactive hypoglycaemic

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the link Brunneria, I just saved that to favourites. - My DNs suggestions for low carb snacks were pineapple and bananas. Even if they weren't stupid suggestions, I'm allergic to both. Lol

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
They were incredibly stupid. I think they are the two highest carbs fruits around. Try some berries if you need fruit.

Listen to nosher. He knows what he is talking about. Burnneria as well.

Sounds like when you eat carbs you get a bs response and then an over reactive insulin response and that is why you spike and then plummet. It is imperative you lower your carbs to avoid the over reactive insulin response and stop the roller coaster. That means no grains, pasta, rice, breads, sugary fruits etc. Eat low carb above ground veggies, some proteins and healthy fats such as avocados olives olive oil, low carb nuts and full fat dairy if you can have it.

Also advising to use your meter a lot.

Many of us cannot tolerate carbs at BF or we are shot for the rest of the day. Getting your BF right is important.

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
As I'm a T2 on diet management should I get my test strips etc on the NHS or where is the best place to get them, any recommendations on the best meter

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the link Brunneria, I just saved that to favourites. - My DNs suggestions for low carb snacks were pineapple and bananas. Even if they weren't stupid suggestions, I'm allergic to both. Lol

Hi @hornplayer
Welcome to our forum, control is key, no hyper, no hypo!

Even though you say you allergic, sometimes others a difference between an allergy and a tolerance to food.
I am not allergic to most food but I can't tolerate most food groups.
It's easier to say what I can eat.
Also fructose I can tolerate in small pieces, where potatoes are poison! The same with wheat or grains.
It all depends on the individual and how they cope and the only way is testing and experimenting.
For example, and it might sound a bit mad but I love baked beans but my blood insulin overcast when I eat too many, I can eat about ten after heating, straining, cooling and zapping them in the microwave.
It took me quite a while to work that out, now I only bother now and again!
Brun has the details of the cheapest monitor, you need to learn how to keep a diary and record everything, it will help in the long run.

Again, welcome to our unique little group of weirdos!

Reactions: 2 people

hornplayer

Hi Nosher, and thanks for the welcome, although, strictly speaking, I'm not new, just returning. Nice to see some old faces and to meet some new people.

lindisfel

Expert
I use a codefree and get my strips from Amazon. The meter is OK, simple and the strips are cheap.
regards DerterOTE="Craig Maryport, post: 1170210, member: 277651"]As I'm a T2 on diet management should I get my test strips etc on the NHS or where is the best place to get them, any recommendations on the best meter[/QUOTE]

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use a codefree and get my strips from Amazon. The meter is OK, simple and the strips are cheap.
regards DerterOTE="Craig Maryport, post: 1170210, member: 277651"]As I'm a T2 on diet management should I get my test strips etc on the NHS or where is the best place to get them, any recommendations on the best meter
[/QUOTE]
Many people get there test strips on the nhs as I get mine there and I use a bayer contour next usb meter and I get all my other bits and bobs that I need for my diabetes off the nhs as well

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I'm on diet management I've been told I can't get them on prescription

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the true to go and buy strips on Amazon $20 for 50 strips. I buy 1000 at a time. It seems very accurate because at one time I had 3 and they were all right on with the same stick and they do correlate with my A1c