Diabetic dog type 1

loughbee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, very recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic dog looking for advice re. Freestyle libre 2. She's had it on since yesterday and is consistently showing high so we're needing to monitor very closely, is there a way to scan on 2 phones please? Currently I can scan on my phone however when I log out & my husband logs in on his phone it won't allow him to scan but died do the auto tracking. Not ideal considering my phone can't stay with my dog all of the time and my husband will need to use his phone to scan her often when I'm not around (vet has recommended scanning at least once every 4 hours). Any work arounds or advice would be greatly appreciated

From a very overwhelmed dog mum!

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, very recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic dog looking for advice re. Freestyle libre 2. She's had it on since yesterday and is consistently showing high so we're needing to monitor very closely, is there a way to scan on 2 phones please? Currently I can scan on my phone however when I log out & my husband logs in on his phone it won't allow him to scan but died do the auto tracking. Not ideal considering my phone can't stay with my dog all of the time and my husband will need to use his phone to scan her often when I'm not around (vet has recommended scanning at least once every 4 hours). Any work arounds or advice would be greatly appreciated

From a very overwhelmed dog mum!
Hi @loughbee , I'm so sorry about your poor dog, and how nice to hear you're doing everything you can!

Libre works just fine with pretty old smartphones, what about getting the dog its own smartphone?
For instance through asking your friends (Facebook?) if any of them have an unused old smartphone laying about.

I think i saw a forum on diabetic dogs once, will have a look to see if I can find it again.
Also tagging @Marie 2 , who from memory had a diabetic dog (forgive me if I'm mixing up people here) and @JoKalsbeek , who had a diabetic cat in case they have some useful tips and tricks for caring for a diabetic pet.

All the best to your dog!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on Facebook?
I found some useful looking groups, although I'm not a member so I'm not sure of the quality of those groups:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@loughbee Hi , I used to use the Libre on my dog. I had the ap on my phone but I also got a reader.The reader was left at home with the dog. If she wasn't at home I was always the one with her so I had my phone to use.

I also used the miao miao and the tomato ap so I could calibrate it and have alarms. The Libre on people is off and can be quite far off especially the first day. You have a tendendcy to keep a dog at a higher BG level and the Libre is more "off" at higher numbers. Plus a dogs body system is a little different than a person. So we still would do a blood test as needed. The first day importantly, plus if I had numbers that didn't look like they were right and I needed to do an adjustment. I really suggest at least one test a day. I realize some dogs are harder to do than others. The Libre gives you a lot more information than you would have otherwise, but it can be off.

By far the easiest way to do a blood test, but my dog was really passive about it, is using the inside of her lip.

They have the Libres that have the alarms now, my dog would randomly sometimes drop at night so it was a blessing to have alarms. But you would need something like x drip etc to be able to calibrate it or I think a lot of people use Bubble now instead of Miao Miao. Probably if you post what is the best ap to use to calibrate the Libre, a lot of people will give input. It's been a couple of years since I had to deal with it. I still miss my dog a lot. Anything I can help you with I will be more than happy too.

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34