1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic hand syndrome

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by jcdevine, May 26, 2017.

1. jcdevine

jcdevine Type 1 · Member

Does anyone have this? I have a lot of problems with my hands and have some evidence of dupuytrens contracture, trigger finger, and have had my right wrist operated on for carpal tunnel. I have been T1 for 42 years since the age of 4 and lots of complications are now catching up with me. Now my hand are just extremely stiff and painful and I am unable to press my palms together. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has similar. Thanks :)

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. AlbertoLaidlaw

AlbertoLaidlaw Type 2 · Active Member

I have dupuytrens in both hands. One was operated on approximately 6 years ago and shows signs of coming back, the other will be operated on this autumn. I cannot push my palms together as a result, yes my hands are stiff and painful which I put down to age This does not however stop me doing most things I simply have to adjust. I do not think that the dupuytrens is as a result of my type 2 , It is inherited and reflects a northern European heritage my wife shows symptoms but does not have diabetes. I do have indications of neuropathy in my hand and feet but this I control by controlling my blood sugars through low carbing. Not sure if this helps you.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Dupuytrens contracture runs in my family - my father and brother have been affected - thankfully I have no sign of it, nor has my sister but my son had a trigger finger operated on when he was very young.
    In the North of England where there are lots of people with Viking blood they have tried out injections of something to dissolve the connections in the tendons as an alternative to operations, which do seem to work - if anything a bit better as the effect is fairly swift and there is no recovery time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bobbin

Bobbin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have all three conditions you mention, and also can't press my palms together. No Dr has ever mentioned Diabetic hand syndrome to me, I've only seen it mentioned on forums here. I'm also interested to learn more. T1 diabetic for over 30 years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

My diabetes adviser told us at one of the education sessions that there were no problems with hands associated with diabets.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

he is completely wrong.
    there is a known association between dupuytren's contracture and Diabetes

link here http://www.pagepress.org/journals/index.php/es/article/view/es.2011.e2/html_69

reading through many posts on this forum -- there is also much anecdotal evidence of the association.

I have had 5 operations on 5 fingers for this and have recently exhibited early symptoms of carpal tunnel too,

• Like Like x 1
  7. gillianwrdl

gillianwrdl Type 2 · Member

There seems to be growing interest in inflammation as a basic problem with numerous diseases; particularly fairly modern and common ones. The is generally blamed on sugar and processed food. I have type 2 and Arthritis, also some nerve damage I suspect from Chemotherapy. The best relief I get for the hands is a simple inexpensive TENS unit used for a few minutes during the night or in the morning to "unlock" my fingers. I have used my units for many years for a variety of discomforts as well. A south Australian manufactured cream containing curcumin called Percutane is one of the best topical helps I have discovered for foot pain. Curcumin is one of its base ingredients. I have Metformin which seems to be quite effective in keeping sugar levels under control, and incidentally proven to discourage metastatic cancer. Alpha Lipoic acid with chromium picolinate I find very necessary to help with the neuropathy and sugar levels.

8. kitsunerin

kitsunerin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm T1 and I get very stiff fingers and wrists, was diagnosed with DeQuervain's syndrome in 2010 and had an operation on my right wrist - of course it came back again though, probably no thanks to my poor control!

9. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Carpal tunnel ops on both hands and now De Quervains syndrome in both too. Splints (according to my pain physio I saw this morning) - DeQ's are the only thing she reccomenda the splints for.. for 3 weeks and then specific hand and thumb exercises. At £55 a beace splint I want to see it work on one hand before spending out another £55 for other hand...

10. Bobbin

£55?!! That's some expensive splints! Why so pricey, what do they do different from other makes of splints?
    (Says she with cheap assed thumb and wrist splints...)

11. donnellysdogs

Got metal splints up to top of thumb and to the palm and fuller down wrist than others.

Completely immobilise thumb. Physio said today its the only time she recommends brace for hands for dequwrvains syndrome. She says it should really help and gave me hand exercises to do when I take it off in two weeks time (besides having to handwash and dry it!!)...

I had splints years ago for carpel tunnel and they did nothing to ease pain. This does whilst wearing it but if I take it off and use my hand tge pain comes back again at the moment. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bobbin

It looks to be a good job. My thumb splints def allow a bit of wiggle room after wearing them awhile. I don't wear one on the right anymore, but do occasionally on the left as it's flared up at mo and it very painful when it decides to flick up/down. Recommended by my physio.

13. donnellysdogs

Cant move thumb at all so it definitely immobilises it!!

Amazing though how much we need our thumbs!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vic165

Vic165 Type 1 · Newbie

"My diabetes adviser told us at one of the education sessions that there were no problems with hands associated with diabets."

Never heard about peripheral neuropathy then? Get a new advisor.

15. conniecar

conniecar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree! I’ve got carpal tunnel, Dupuytrens, arthritis and neuropathy in my hands - oh and diabetic hands! Sometimes we know better eh? X

• Like Like x 1
  16. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

Yes i too have had problems with my hands and still do, i had 3 ops for carpel tunnel, one on the elbow to release a nerve, one when i slipped on a wire fence and now have numbness, pain and weakness which is caused by damaged nerves. The thing is the nerves all over my body are all damaged, so i am on medication and lidocaine infusions every 4 weeks to dampen the pain down. The hardest thing is making a meal and checking them temp of water as it takes my hands about 60 seconds to feel them temp

17. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Carpal Tunnel in both hands (operated on) but have worked with vibratory tools all my working life. Also have dupuytrens in both hands, never thought that my diabetes may be a cause.

18. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been Diabetic for 45 year since the ages of 2 and have ad trigger finger twice in both thumbs, carpel tunnel nin both hands the right was operated on 2 years back, I have dupuytrens in both hands but have done for years and I have had a tendon snap in my middle finger ( the one next to your index finger not sure of the name of the name of this and happened pushing myself up in the armchair )

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook