diabetic ice cream

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'Sugar-free' often seems to be a bit of a lie too. Or at least a snare for the unwary. Case in point, 'sugar-free' angel-delight type desserts. I noticed the other day that the packet recommends that you turn these into ice-cream/ice-lollies. Unfortunately, this stuff spikes my levels.:(

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found this recipe on this forum, or on a link therefrom. Apologies that I can't remember who it belongs to. I don't have an ice cream maker, and this recipe was dead simple to do. I didn't have any Da Vinci syrup either, so I just used a teaspoon of vanilla essence. I made half quantities for a test run. Although the texture is not as perfect as a commercial ice-cream, it's really not bad at all, and it's a good dessert if you're wanting a low-carb high fat recipe. I reckon you could add sweetener if you wanted.

Ice cream:
Mix 100g Total (organic original Greek yoghurt) with 100ml double cream.
Whip the double cream until it is firm and forming peaks then stir in the yoghurt.
Add in da Vinci syrup (whatever flavour you like), mix and place in freezer.
Bring out every half hour or so to re-mix. (I didn't do this!!! Life's too short)
When completely cold and when your taste test tells you) - serve.

Found it! Can attribute this recipe to heidiphillips on the low carb recipes thread. Thank you, Heidi!

Last edited by a moderator:

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i was tempted last sat to buy franks at asda , until i to read the back the carbs were way to high and not worth the suger rush , i agree with others im starting making my own to .. xx

K

Kat100

i would love to know how FRANKS diabetic ice cream, can even be allowed to call it diabetic ice cream!! it has 13.8g of sugar in every 100g!
that sounds alot to me! im not great at this diabetic thing.. but this baffles me!!!!
Does that include milk sugars , think it might ......

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
TBH,
I gave some recipes for ice cream but these days I just blend greek yogurt into frozen berries and allow the slush to freeze not as sweet but you could add sweetener

Reactions: Eliza_jane

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Which icecream is the best .....to buy .....I am t2 and confussed....any thoughts
Kat if you have a food processor you can make your own.
200ml whipping or double cream.
200g frozen berries
2 dsp stevia
Put berries and sugar into processor and blitz until small bits - 20 secs?
Add cream and blitz for 30 secs. Portion for one. Doesn't freeze so you'll have to take one for the team and eat it in one go. Tragedy! :hilarious: