diabetic ice cream

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i would love to know how FRANKS diabetic ice cream, can even be allowed to call it diabetic ice cream!! it has 13.8g of sugar in every 100g!
that sounds alot to me! im not great at this diabetic thing.. but this baffles me!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hmmm well i dont know how they get away with it!!
someone just told me that morrisons own choc icecream is only 7.3g per 100g.. thats LOOOADS better than the so called diabetic ice cream!!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the doc/nurse have never told me about carbs! i dont understand any of it! im T2 diet only.. so far anyway!!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
total carbs is the total sugar in the food. The sugar content often labelled on food items on the front is just the added sugar content. if you look at the full nutritional info label you will see carbs xxx, and underneath of which sugar xxx. The of which sugar is the amount of processed sugar added extra to the food. The carb amount includes the sugar already in the food AND the added processed sugar, giving a TOTAL sugar content.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
the doc/nurse have never told me about carbs! i dont understand any of it! im T2 diet only.. so far anyway!!
:) and if you want to stay that way, have a look at all the low carb advice on the forum. It works! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Any food labelled for 'diabetics' keep clear of.

I don't know if they still do them but Walls Mini Milks are around 7g of carbs per lolly.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oohhhhhh!! and they couldnt have told me that 6 yrs ago?!!! well lucky for me, up to now, my bloods have been very good!
thank you very much for the info!! :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just look at the label and compare it with other ice creams.

Nutritional info for Franks. 100g Vanilla

Energy 163 calories
Protein 3.4g
Carbohydrate 17.9g
Fat 7.7g
ingredients :
Skimmed Milk Powder, Vegetable Fat ,Fructose ,Maltodextrin ,Dextrose ,Emulsifier (E471) ,Stabilisers (E401, E339, E466) ,Flavouring ,Natural Colours (Cucumin, Annatto

100g Walls soft scoop

Energy 80 cal
protein 1.5g
Carbohydrate 10,g
of which sugars 9g
fat 4g
Ingredients
Reconstituted Skimmed Milk,Water ,Glucose Syrup ,Vegetable Fat ,Glucose-Fructose Syrup ,Sugar ,Whey Solids ,Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids) ,Stabilisers (Locust Bean Gum, Tara Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan) ,Colours (Annato, Curcumin) ,Flavourings
(source Tesco's website)

They both contain lots of 'junk' and ingredients that might have been better left in the laboratory.
The Walls one has the benefit of considerably fewer carbs and fat than the diabetic one! I
Frank's does contain fructose (fruit sugar as contained in fruit) which can have a lower immediate effect on blood glucose so that's why it's labelled diabetic. However, unless it's part of the fruits some scientists say that it may not be good for you.

If a label sounds like a chemistry experiment, it probably isn't that good for anyone!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wow, it just goes to show, how important it is to read all labels and dont judge a book by its cover, so to speak! interesting read! thank you! :)

Dzialo

I haven't trusted the "diabetic" labels since day one. I bought a diet apple juice (labeled diabetic) and than on the bottom they write in small only allowed 400ml. A day because of the fruit juice it contains!!!!!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Google "low carb ice cream recipes" - there are many online that are easy to make and often don't even require an ice cream maker. That way you know what goes into it - no chemistry degree required to decipher the label.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Did some scientific checking with my BG meter and my daughter's pals' ice creams.
With these meter readings those ice creams are definitely diabetic! :D:D

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
Diabetic label foods, aren't claimed to have 0 carbs, Mistake alot of people make, They're claimed to have reduced which they do too be fair, however they're alot more expensive usually, and if you're going to do the injection for it anyway then you may as well get the normal ice cream / cheaper option ( unless Ben and Jerrys of course ) and sorry speaking on a T1 side of things

sarah

Sorry but the "of which sugars" on a food label isn't the amount of added sugar, it's the amount of sugar in the product, whether it be naturally there or added. The rest of the carb count is made up from whatever other carbs apart from sugar are in there.

I know we diabetics have to take care with all carbs and not just sugar, and the total carb count is the figure we should be looking for anyway, but I feel it's worth pointing out.

Reactions: Eliza_jane