Diabetic Labelled Foods: What do you think?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
doesn't look a very big market, mainly for the reasons given by people on here.
This is a bit old but about the UK. http://www.just-food.com/analysis/diabetic-confectionery-overtaken-by-sugar-free_id93530.aspx
This is more detailed and more recent but mainly focussing on the US/Canadian Market (as a market report, it's astute as to the reasons for a lowish market and also astute as to the ways of targeting people with diabetes)
http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/industry-m...abetes-in-the-united-states/?id=1410083148472

Last edited by a moderator:

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Squire, my original question is about food as this is the project I am looking to do. My interest is in obesity/diabetes/lifestyle/preventative medicine and the power of 'real' food on health, so it covers a very broad range of topics. I think my range of interests is too broad lol :eek: I always have difficulty deciding what I want to focus on in the future.

Phoenix, thanks so much for those links I have bookmarked them!

My intention isn't really to see how much diabetic food is sold but more of a behavioural type investigation to see what beliefs and attitudes are towards diabetic-labelled foods. To see if they buy them, why do they, and if they don't why not, and general attitudes and beliefs.

Thank-you for all of your responses everyone. I really do appreciate it so a huge thumbs up :D

Apologies for delayed responses, I try to pop on here whenever I get the chance.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was raised on real food and as a former chef I cook from scratch. Husband was also raised on real food as his father was a chef. I didn't get diabetes from overindulging on cakes, crisps and fast food, I did get it by eating low fat conventional food, cooked from scratch.

Real food, even the conventional stuff, is more expensive than ready meals. My local ASDA has more ready meals than meat in the meat and poultry section.

The reality is, that many people prioritise going out, holidays and clothes as more important than real food. In America there's a saying, ' You either pay the farmer now or the doctor later. ' If we had to pay more medical care as they do, maybe we wouldn't be quite so cavalier about our health.

Even if people want great food, there's not enough to go round. The whole food industry and agriculture are geared towards quantity not quality.

Reactions: 5 people

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Everyone on here has been super helpful! :) I hope everyone is well.

I wanted to ask what you would consider possible barriers (not including side effects, etc) to eating diabetic labelled foods, whether through personal past/present experience or from friends/family.I have put them in the form of a question below in 4) and 5). I managed to get most of the answers for questions 1-2 from the previous posts.

Examples of barriers include diabetic foods being too difficult to find in shops, too expensive, or if someone doesn't do their own food shopping they may not have control over what they eat.

What do you think are other potential barriers to people with diabetes eating diabetic labelled foods? From me speaking to family members with diabetes, and my own search in shops for diabetic foods, I have personally had difficulty in finding them, and they are generally quite expensive as many have pointed out.

I would appreciate any input anyone has with regards to this topic of barriers preventing people from eating diabetic foods.

Also,

My original post wasn't very well structured if I am honest so I apologise. I should have asked specific focussed questions:sorry:. They should have been:

1) What do you think are the advantages of eating diabetic labelled foods?
2) What do you think are the disadvantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? Subjective norms
3) Do other people influence how much you eat/ate diabetic labelled foods? Who? How do they have an influence?
4) How easy or difficult is it for you to eat diabetic labelled foods? Why?
5)What are the barriers to you eating more diabetic labelled foods?

If anyone has time and wouldn't mind answering the above 5 questions if they feel they haven't answered them in previous posts, I really would appreciate it very much.

Thank-you.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

1) What do you think are the advantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? None
2) What do you think are the disadvantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? What is this stuff? If the NHS and DUK cannot suggest what foods are good for diabetics, why should we trust food manufacturers to know?
3) Do other people influence how much you eat/ate diabetic labelled foods? Who? How do they have an influence? No, I eat what I like.
4) How easy or difficult is it for you to eat diabetic labelled foods? Why? I don't buy it.
5)What are the barriers to you eating more fruit and vegetables? My barrier to eating more fruit is it is generally high in fructose and I have diabetes. No barrier to eating non-root, non-starchy veg.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There are none.
2) What do you think are the disadvantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? Subjective norms
They are unnecessary processed rubbish full of laxatives. They are especially bad for you. If you are going to eat this c**p, you might as well eat the real thing in moderation.
3) Do other people influence how much you eat/ate diabetic labelled foods? Who? How do they have an influence?
No. I choose not to.
It's very easy. I choose not to.
None. I choose not to. They don't taste great, they aren't good for you and they shouldn't be made. The "diabetic" foods I eat are slaughtered, picked and harvested. They are then bought by me and converted into my own diabetic foods using only natural ingredients.

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank-you for replying Avacado and tim2000s, question 5 should have been referring to diabetic labelled foods, not fruits and vegetables. doh. This is what happens when I've been up since 4 am. Doh. Sorry! I've corrected it in the original post and the post above.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1) What do you think are the advantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? - There aren't any, so I don't eat them.
2) What do you think are the disadvantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? Subjective norms - Expensive, processed, often "odd" tasting option, so I wouldn't bother.
3) Do other people influence how much you eat/ate diabetic labelled foods? Who? How do they have an influence? Not at all. I choose not to eat them.
4) How easy or difficult is it for you to eat diabetic labelled foods? Why? - It would be simple enough to eat diabetic foods, but I choose not to.
5)What are the barriers to you eating more diabetic labelled foods? - There are none, to me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried to provide you with some data, @QR93 , but it is proving difficult for me to get past the first question.
Sorry but I don't believe there are any advantages to eating food marketed specifically for diabetics. I don't eat them, they don't appeal, no highly processed foods do.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

1. The fact that no-one has defined "diabetic foods" and so I would be in the hands of a nanny who knew what was best for me.
2. I have only heard from from others that diabetic foods have caused them problems. I have no intention of following their example.
3. No because other people have never spoken to me about diabetic labelled foods.
4. N/A
5. Do I need barriers? Normal food is fine for me providing I don't eat the processed carp or the diabetic food.

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have tried to provide you with some data, @QR93 , but it is proving difficult for me to get past the first question.
Sorry but I don't believe there are any advantages to eating food marketed specifically for diabetics. I don't eat them, they don't appeal, no highly processed foods do.
That is fine. I really do appreciate your effort nonetheless. Even if you answer with advantages that may cause fellow diabetics to purchase them that will be helpful. Same goes for the other question questions.
I.e. some may believe that diabetic foods are safer for blood sugar control and healthier and lower in sugar, etc.

Squire, the diabetic labeled foods I'm referring to are any foods labeled with 'diabetic' on the packaging. So this does not include low sugar foods unless it also states 'diabetic' on it. But I'm not sure if you were referring to the fact that there are no official guidelines or rules on what can and cannot be labeled as diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1) What do you think are the advantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? There are no advantages
2) What do you think are the disadvantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? Subjective norms. Most are full of sorbitol or other chemicals that I do not wish to subject my body to
3) Do other people influence how much you eat/ate diabetic labelled foods? Who? How do they have an influence? I have never eaten them, and was advised as such by my nurse and by the glossy booklet produced by the NHS
4) How easy or difficult is it for you to eat diabetic labelled foods? Why? It would be easy if I were of a mind to eat them
5)What are the barriers to you eating more diabetic labelled foods? My own personal tastes - I don't want diarrhoea or poisoning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Squire, the diabetic labeled foods I'm referring to are any foods labeled with 'diabetic' on the packaging. So this does not include low sugar foods unless it also states 'diabetic' on it. But I'm not sure if you were referring to the fact that there are no official guidelines or rules on what can and cannot be labeled as diabetic.

A 2lb bag of Tate and Lyle sugar could have diabetic written on it.

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A 2lb bag of Tate and Lyle sugar could have diabetic written on it.
Yes it could but it doesn't. To be more specific in this case, when i mention diabetic labelled foods I am referring to foods (typically confectionary) which are typically lower in sugar, with added sweeteners.:) Thank-you for pointing that out.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think we're coming around to the point (again) that 'diabetic' products exist so that those with no imagination can buy them for diabetic friends and congratulate themselves for giving their friend a treat at no risk. In spite of the horrific laxative effects that most incur and without realising that a treat sized portion of real chocolate is no worse than the same portion of diabetic chocolate and you can't eat more because of the ill effects.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
1) What do you think are the advantages of eating diabetic labelled foods? None at all.

2) What do you think are the disadvantages of eating diabetic labelled foods?
Nothing beats natural, fish, veg and meat.

People like nurses telling me its ok to have "diet" coke or sugarfree gum crucified my health.
Patients need to empower themselves by being told to avoid processed foods/ready meals. Weightwatchers etc need to give cooking lessons in schools at weekends rather than plugging their processed stuff. Children are the future and their education is hugely important for food and nutrition.

I can only eat certain foods due to stomach probs. I wouldn't touch diabetic labelled food with a barge pole.
Everybody has a different conception of what diabetic food is.

Preservatives, sweeteners, E numbers. The fact that everything has some of the forementioned in or it is grains...

We are the only animals clever enough to grow grain and the only animals stupid enough to eat it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is fine. I really do appreciate your effort nonetheless. Even if you answer with advantages that may cause fellow diabetics to purchase them that will be helpful. Same goes for the other question questions.
I.e. some may believe that diabetic foods are safer for blood sugar control and healthier and lower in sugar, etc.

The only person I know who thought diabetic chocolate was worth buying did not have diabetes, but believed that they would help 'cure' me. I didn't like or eat any chocolate before diagnosis, but this annoying person loved chocolate. I told her not to buy them, but still she continued. In the end I put them in a glass sweetie jar and left them out whenever she was around. She consumed a great quantity. I gave her a gift of a multi pack of toilet rolls as she left.
Sorry but I can think of no advantages of foods labelled 'diabetic' at all. I hope you are not going to try to promote them to patients. Any chance you might change the focus of your diabetes research? @Southport GP has some excellent research on a low carb diet for his diabetic patients. Perhaps you could use his research as a start point? A recurring theme in the current replies here is that we wouldn't thank anyone for 'diabetic' food, and your questions are not likely to yield data that will be of use.

Reactions: 4 people

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The only person I know who thought diabetic chocolate was worth buying did not have diabetes, but believed that they would help 'cure' me. I didn't like or eat any chocolate before diagnosis, but this annoying person loved chocolate. I told her not to buy them, but still she continued. In the end I put them in a glass sweetie jar and left them out whenever she was around. She consumed a great quantity. I gave her a gift of a multi pack of toilet rolls as she left.
Sorry but I can think of no advantages of foods labelled 'diabetic' at all. I hope you are not going to try to promote them to patients. Any chance you might change the focus of your diabetes research? @Southport GP has some excellent research on a low carb diet for his diabetic patients. Perhaps you could use his research as a start point? A recurring theme in the current replies here is that we wouldn't thank anyone for 'diabetic' food, and your questions are not likely to yield data that will be of use.

I know many people can't think of advantages here, and I would guess one of the main reasons for that is because everyone here has thankfully done their research and is aware there really are no real advantages of eating diabetic labeled foods.

The aim of the project will not be to promote diabetic labeled foods. One of the aims is to identify beliefs amongst diabetic patients and these beliefs don't necessarily need to be true such as 'diabetic foods are safer for blood sugar control', although this may not be true there are people who believe this (not on here). I'm not trying to find out what the advantages are regarding eating diabetic labeled foods. I am trying to elicit what those who do eat them believe the advantages are (even if the truth is different).

So if this project can identify the beliefs of diabetic patients (whether true or false). then it would be possible to, at a later stage, to focus on countering the specific false beliefs as we would know why people who eat diabetic labeled foods do so. This may be particularly useful for newly diagnosed diabetic patients so they can be told the truth/recommendations (against) about diabetic labelled foods from the get go. It will also give insight into why those who eat diabetic labeled foods do so but at the same time (and equally important) it will show why those who choose not to eat diabetic labeled foods choose not to. I hope that makes sense.

The data and responses so far have certainly been useful and helped in creating many questions in the questionnaire. Even though no one here would recommend or eat diabetic labeled foods, I know why now and this is definitely helpful.
Goonight everyone :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't really understand the point of the questions though..we don't know the reasons why diabetics eat diabetic food.. Because we don't eat them.