1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic musicians

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by garinsionfitter, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Since my first post on thing thread I have acquired several melodeons and a bayan and am playing regularly for dancing - social, maypole and longsword, and teaching morris as well as playing for an adult side. This diabetes lark seems to have given me a whole new lease of life.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mrsspenny

mrsspenny Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jaylee, thank you for your welcome and sorry I did not reply to your post sooner, I am still getting the hang of finding notifications on the site and only just read it. I have had a meter for a couple of years now, but was advised by one of the diabetic nurses last September that because I was on metformin and my diabetes was well controlled I didn’t need to test daily. Well, that didn’t work out well for me and now am testing three times a day, am following a low carb plan and am taking Gliclazide as well. Do you test before and after every meal? I am wondering if I should do this to winnow out foods that I react to.

#42 mrsspenny, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:24 PM
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @mrsspenny ,

As an insulin dependant myself, it is imperative that i do test regularly. It's a double edged sword. "what is my food doing." What is my insulin up to..?"LOL, then there is the activity factored in. which can be like having a knife thrower in the mix...

From what i gather with the Gliclazide you're prescribed. It increases insulin productivity in the pancreas & lowers insulin resistance too. It is worthwhile keeping an eye on the effects of diet regarding any diabetic condition. Especially where meds are involved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't even play a tambourine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. gsf1996

gsf1996 Type 1 · Member

Hey all, garinsionfitter here - I made a new account because, truth be told, I'd forgotten I had this account already enjoyed reading your replies! :)

6. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I play midi piano roll editor, but no instruments are harmed in the process.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. doommoose

doommoose Type 1 · Newbie

Yer I am too I also play a large selection including drums, mandolin, bazouki, trumpet, clarinet, violin, harmonica, but am primarily a bassist due to my dad and grandfather both being bassists so had no choice in the matter. Been gigging for a good 14 years in various bands used to be in a band with a diabetic drummer, diabetic guitarist, me and a standard human on vocals usually had our drummer hypoing once every other week at practice but practice was standard LG three hours

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

In the last week I have come across 2 classical musicians, one a composer and one a concert pianist. I have known about both of them for many years, but did not realise that they were both diabetic and sadly both died as a result. The first was the German named Sigfrid Karg-Elert (1877-1933). On a Dutch recording of his organ music, his daughter, at least 30 years after his death wrote "We all inherited our fatal diabetes from her (my mother).This was hardly recognised during father's life-time and certainly was not treated; it was definitely a factor causing his early death".
    The second is John Bingham, one of the most promising British pianists of the 20th Century. This is an excerpt from his obituary in the Independent in December 2003, when John died at the age of 61:
    His last years were marred by illness. A stroke earlier this year compounded increasingly severe diabetic problems, which required the amputation of his right leg. Undaunted, he intended to return to teaching.

I always think we are lucky to live in more advanced times!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook