Diabetic musicians

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since my first post on thing thread I have acquired several melodeons and a bayan and am playing regularly for dancing - social, maypole and longsword, and teaching morris as well as playing for an adult side. This diabetes lark seems to have given me a whole new lease of life.

Reactions: mrsspenny

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mrsspenny ,

Welcome to the forum!

I fully appreciate keeping the blood sugars at an optimum level when performing.

Regarding diet. Have you got a blood test meter? You will be surprised the effects of certain food on the system.
& may have a few pleasant surprises some foods don't..
A meter is certainly a great tool with your day to day diabetes management..

Regards,

J>
Hi Jaylee, thank you for your welcome and sorry I did not reply to your post sooner, I am still getting the hang of finding notifications on the site and only just read it. I have had a meter for a couple of years now, but was advised by one of the diabetic nurses last September that because I was on metformin and my diabetes was well controlled I didn’t need to test daily. Well, that didn’t work out well for me and now am testing three times a day, am following a low carb plan and am taking Gliclazide as well. Do you test before and after every meal? I am wondering if I should do this to winnow out foods that I react to.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaycee, thank you for your welcome and sorry I did not reply to your post sooner, I am still getting the hang of finding notifications on the site and only just read it. I have had a meter for a couple of years now, but was advised by one of the diabetic nurses last September that because I was on metformin and my diabetes was well controlled I didn’t need to test daily. Well, that didn’t work out well for me and now am testing three times a day, am following a low carb plan and am taking Gliclazide as well. Do you test before and after every meal? I am wondering if I should do this to winnow out foods that I react to.

Hi @mrsspenny ,

As an insulin dependant myself, it is imperative that i do test regularly. It's a double edged sword. "what is my food doing." What is my insulin up to..?"LOL, then there is the activity factored in. which can be like having a knife thrower in the mix...

From what i gather with the Gliclazide you're prescribed. It increases insulin productivity in the pancreas & lowers insulin resistance too. It is worthwhile keeping an eye on the effects of diet regarding any diabetic condition. Especially where meds are involved.

Reactions: mrsspenny

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I can't even play a tambourine.

gsf1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, garinsionfitter here - I made a new account because, truth be told, I'd forgotten I had this account already enjoyed reading your replies! :)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I play midi piano roll editor, but no instruments are harmed in the process.

doommoose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yer I am too I also play a large selection including drums, mandolin, bazouki, trumpet, clarinet, violin, harmonica, but am primarily a bassist due to my dad and grandfather both being bassists so had no choice in the matter. Been gigging for a good 14 years in various bands used to be in a band with a diabetic drummer, diabetic guitarist, me and a standard human on vocals usually had our drummer hypoing once every other week at practice but practice was standard LG three hours

Reactions: Oldvatr

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
In the last week I have come across 2 classical musicians, one a composer and one a concert pianist. I have known about both of them for many years, but did not realise that they were both diabetic and sadly both died as a result. The first was the German named Sigfrid Karg-Elert (1877-1933). On a Dutch recording of his organ music, his daughter, at least 30 years after his death wrote "We all inherited our fatal diabetes from her (my mother).This was hardly recognised during father's life-time and certainly was not treated; it was definitely a factor causing his early death".
The second is John Bingham, one of the most promising British pianists of the 20th Century. This is an excerpt from his obituary in the Independent in December 2003, when John died at the age of 61:
His last years were marred by illness. A stroke earlier this year compounded increasingly severe diabetic problems, which required the amputation of his right leg. Undaunted, he intended to return to teaching.

I always think we are lucky to live in more advanced times!

Reactions: michita