1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic musicians

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by garinsionfitter, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Since my first post on thing thread I have acquired several melodeons and a bayan and am playing regularly for dancing - social, maypole and longsword, and teaching morris as well as playing for an adult side. This diabetes lark seems to have given me a whole new lease of life.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mrsspenny

mrsspenny Type 2 · Active Member

Hi Jaylee, thank you for your welcome and sorry I did not reply to your post sooner, I am still getting the hang of finding notifications on the site and only just read it. I have had a meter for a couple of years now, but was advised by one of the diabetic nurses last September that because I was on metformin and my diabetes was well controlled I didn’t need to test daily. Well, that didn’t work out well for me and now am testing three times a day, am following a low carb plan and am taking Gliclazide as well. Do you test before and after every meal? I am wondering if I should do this to winnow out foods that I react to.

#42 mrsspenny, Apr 24, 2018 at 10:24 PM
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @mrsspenny ,

As an insulin dependant myself, it is imperative that i do test regularly. It's a double edged sword. "what is my food doing." What is my insulin up to..?"LOL, then there is the activity factored in. which can be like having a knife thrower in the mix...

From what i gather with the Gliclazide you're prescribed. It increases insulin productivity in the pancreas & lowers insulin resistance too. It is worthwhile keeping an eye on the effects of diet regarding any diabetic condition. Especially where meds are involved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can't even play a tambourine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. gsf1996

gsf1996 Type 1 · Member

Hey all, garinsionfitter here - I made a new account because, truth be told, I'd forgotten I had this account already enjoyed reading your replies! :)

6. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I play midi piano roll editor, but no instruments are harmed in the process.

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook