Hello everyone, hope you are well. More than 3 months ago I went to my current GP with abdominal pain and a tingling sensation on the skin. My GP either minimised or dismissed it saying it might be a virus but ordered no tests or prescribed any meds. My pain became gradually worse so much so that I ended up hospitalised as the pain was sheer agony. They ran a CT scan and blood tests, no ultrasound but found nothing and gave me Endone 5mg for the pain and told me to go back to my GP, which I did meanwhile the pain was getting worse by the day and I could barely get out of bed. The GP then diagnosed me with diverticulosis and prescribed antibiotics saying in 3 days I would get better but it never happened, he ran no further tests and as my condition was worsening I returned to my longtime doctor whom I had stopped seeing due to geographical distance. He was surprised to see me so unwell and after running all tests incl full blood, ultrasound and a new CT scan he told me I had been misdiagnosed with diverticulosis and that what I had was diabetic neuropathy or diabetic nerve damage and that it was very serious and it can cause death if I am not managed. The pain is sheer agony even with Endone. I wonder if anyone has had this and what treatment have you been given and how did you manage to reduce the pain as at the moment it has almost disabled me, I am in constant excruciating pain, can barely walk or sit up, only lying in bed helps until the pain starts again. I have googled it and it says it is irreversible once the nerve damage has occurred and that there is no cure, just treatment. If this is the case, what treatment specifically? The pain paralyses me and I wonder if there is anything I can do or ask my doctor to be able to return to some sort of normalcy? Any and all answers and suggestions or recommendations will be greatly and urgently appreciated. I am on Lantus 18 units once daily Novorapid 12 units twice daily Diabex 1000 twice daily and Dymacron 60mg 1 daily

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am on Lantus 18 units once daily Novorapid 12 units twice daily Diabex 1000 twice daily and Dymacron 60mg 1 daily

I am so sorry you are suffering like this. All I have read about diabetic neuropathy suggests your best chance to mitigate or reverse it is to maintain more normal blood sugars. There are certainly anecdotal reports on here of people who's peripheral neuropathy has improved after tightening their control.

Can I ask what type of diabetes you have (T1/T2?), for how long, and what sort of levels you are running at.

Lots of virtual hugs.

Reactions: VashtiB

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, hope you are well. More than 3 months ago I went to my current GP with abdominal pain and a tingling sensation on the skin. My GP either minimised or dismissed it saying it might be a virus but ordered no tests or prescribed any meds. My pain became gradually worse so much so that I ended up hospitalised as the pain was sheer agony. They ran a CT scan and blood tests, no ultrasound but found nothing and gave me Endone 5mg for the pain and told me to go back to my GP, which I did meanwhile the pain was getting worse by the day and I could barely get out of bed. The GP then diagnosed me with diverticulosis and prescribed antibiotics saying in 3 days I would get better but it never happened, he ran no further tests and as my condition was worsening I returned to my longtime doctor whom I had stopped seeing due to geographical distance. He was surprised to see me so unwell and after running all tests incl full blood, ultrasound and a new CT scan he told me I had been misdiagnosed with diverticulosis and that what I had was diabetic neuropathy or diabetic nerve damage and that it was very serious and it can cause death if I am not managed. The pain is sheer agony even with Endone. I wonder if anyone has had this and what treatment have you been given and how did you manage to reduce the pain as at the moment it has almost disabled me, I am in constant excruciating pain, can barely walk or sit up, only lying in bed helps until the pain starts again. I have googled it and it says it is irreversible once the nerve damage has occurred and that there is no cure, just treatment. If this is the case, what treatment specifically? The pain paralyses me and I wonder if there is anything I can do or ask my doctor to be able to return to some sort of normalcy? Any and all answers and suggestions or recommendations will be greatly and urgently appreciated. I am on Lantus 18 units once daily Novorapid 12 units twice daily Diabex 1000 twice daily and Dymacron 60mg 1 daily
Hi and welcome to the forum. I have diabetic neuropathy ( although it doesn't seem ever to have been as bad as yours) and the good news is that it can improve alongside lowering your blood glucose. It can be managed and you can reduce your symptoms. A few years ago mine was too intense for me to sleep and was getting steadily worse. Now, although it's not gone completely it is only around some of the time and is always a lot milder - more a tingle than the burn it used to be. This could be permanent but I can live with it. Don't give up hope.

Reactions: EllieM