Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bus driver again:
My line manager said that I am not at increased risk and that this only applies to type 1 diabetes! is he right?

my medication:

atoravastin

Fexofenadine

metformin

ramipil

There is no distinction in the www.gov.uk website info between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. So there is no justification for your employer to treat type 1 employees differently than type 2.

Have a look at the coronavirus pages on the link above, and you will see what I mean.

Regarding 'increased risk', diabetes is listed along with several other health conditions, as being at increased risk.
You will see what I mean when you read the pages. The guidance until yesterday was to 'strictly socially distance'. The guidance today is that key workers are still able to work, while 'strictly socially distancing'.

I realise this places you in a tricky situation.

There is another list of people with compromised immune systems who are at further risk, these are being contacted indivually by letter, which will tell them to isolate themselves for 12 weeks, and how to access the further support they may need. Diabetics are not on this list unless they have additional health issues.

Reactions: autor65

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no distinction in the www.gov.uk website info between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. So there is no justification for your employer to treat type 1 employees differently than type 2.

I really can see though why people are still confused. Outside of the corona advice, type 1 and type 2 are treated very differently and employer wise, one is classed as a disability and the other isn't. It's bad enough trying to explain diabetes to Employers in peace time and I have spent many hours discussing what type 1 is with them in order for them to risk assess me, 'Well you can get rid of it with diet can't you'? and so on. Now I fear it will be back to the drawing board following this. I think also that Employers CAN treat the types differently under the non virus protocols surrounding disabilities but would have to rationalise it and tailor it to the individual (no matter the type because diabetes really is not a one size fits all). x

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'Well you can get rid of it with diet can't you'?
I am coming up against this a lot. Its due to faulty reporting isnt it. Even many type 2's cant get rid of it through dieting. Diet can and does often help, but not all of us type 2's can get our blood sugar levels low enough with diet only.

Its infuriating.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really can see though why people are still confused. Outside of the corona advice, type 1 and type 2 are treated very differently and employer wise, one is classed as a disability and the other isn't. It's bad enough trying to explain diabetes to Employers in peace time and I have spent many hours discussing what type 1 is with them in order for them to risk assess me, 'Well you can get rid of it with diet can't you'? and so on. Now I fear it will be back to the drawing board following this. I think also that Employers CAN treat the types differently under the non virus protocols surrounding disabilities but would have to rationalise it and tailor it to the individual (no matter the type because diabetes really is not a one size fits all). x

I would urge you to contact the www.gov.uk site and discuss the matter with them, then. All I am doing is showing members where they can access the current info, as it stands, on the government's own website.

Personally, I completely agree with you that different types of diabetes are very different conditions, and each individual requires individual 'handling'. I find it particularly frustrating when a fit healthy diabetic of any type starts to instruct older, less fit diabetics with multiple co-morbities, about how they should go to work and/or not isolate, and not worry.

However, in a time of national crisis, it is unreasonable to expect distinctions between individuals at the level of the gov.uk website - especially when the government is adapting its instructions on a daily basis, on an ever-shifting playing field.
Last night multiple updates appeared on the www.gov.uk website throughout the night.

That means that teams of civil servants were working through, editing, changing and updating, proof reading and trying to cover all their bases in order to present a coherent message.
That is extremely difficult.
To do it consistently, over a 10 day period, factoring in the ever-changing situation is positively heroic.
I can't imagine how little sleep they are getting.

So no, I don't currently expect them to have the capacity to distinguish between any of the 8 or so different types of diabetes, and then complicate a clear message by confusing employers with different instructions for each type.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That means that teams of civil servants were working through, editing, changing and updating, proof reading and trying to cover all their bases in order to present a coherent message.
That is extremely difficult.
To do it consistently, over a 10 day period, factoring in the ever-changing situation is positively heroic.
I can't imagine how little sleep they are getting.
The same civil servants that Dominic Cummings wants to get rid of !!