Diabetic nurse opinion on corona risk

Paulm80

Went and had my hbac1 this morning , a bit un nerving as I was greeted with my nurse in mask and gown!!
Anyway.....
Asked about government advice on self isolating etc, she said I didn’t have diabetic numbers and providing nothing stupid happens on this hbac1 I wasn’t classed as a diabetic exactly and the rules wouldn’t apply to me as I have no other conditions.
Never planned on self isolating anyway as I need money to live!
Thoughts on this?

Reactions: Maxine3624

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I had the opposite from my GP yesterday during a telephone consultation for something else. He was very specific that, as a diabetic, I must self isolate for 12 weeks.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went and had my hbac1 this morning , a bit un nerving as I was greeted with my nurse in mask and gown!!
Anyway.....
Asked about government advice on self isolating etc, she said I didn’t have diabetic numbers and providing nothing stupid happens on this hbac1 I wasn’t classed as a diabetic exactly and the rules wouldn’t apply to me as I have no other conditions.
Never planned on self isolating anyway as I need money to live!
Thoughts on this?
Hmm, what does she mean you are not classed as diabetic exactly? Does she mean because you are Type 2 or because you have well controlled hba1c?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying not to be complacent thinking I’ll be ok because my HbA1c is in the non diabetic range. That is true as long as I eat the same diet, don’t get too stressed, don’t have steroids, don’t get ill (!), there that’s why I think I need to be more careful than truly non diabetics. Just my opinion and even the medics don’t seem to agree!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't take your DNs word for it. Let's face it no-one really knows.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is a great time to keep your blood sugars in the normal range and insulin low by dropping carbs, so as not to feed the virus, along with getting sleep, gentle exercise and lots of healthy fats to keep your cholesterol up since this is an important part of your immune system.
What else can we do and nobody really knows our individual risk so much of this is on the precautionary principle e.g. there is not evidence that pregnant women and their babies are at a greater risk.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
That article is saying that 35% were diabetics.....not at all favourable for us lot then
How many people in N. Italy are diabetic? Estimates for the USA suggest approx. 30% are T2D though many never been tested so still undiagnosed.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
How many people in N. Italy are diabetic? Estimates for the USA suggest approx. 30% are T2D though many never been tested so still undiagnosed.

Does it really matter on how many people are diabetic? The point being that 35% of them WERE diabetic

Thats like us loosing 35% of this forum overnight!?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it really matter on how many people are diabetic? The point being that 35% of them WERE diabetic

Thats like us loosing 35% of this forum overnight!?

And quite old... you seem to be ignoring that part.

I'll hazard a guess that if you are in your 70's and 80's with all the problems of metabolic syndrome.. heart disease, hypertension and raging blood glucose numbers (and probably on statins and lots of other meds) then you are far more at risk than a well controlled T2 on metformin or diet control.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
And quite old... you seem to be ignoring that part.

Not ignoring it at all. It is still 35% diabetic. Which a fair few people on here are "comfortable" with

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not ignoring it at all. It is still 35% diabetic. Which a fair few people on here are "comfortable" with
Yes but age appears to be the major factor ...

Screenshot 2020-03-19 at 15.42.59.png

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, agreed. But still 35% diabetic. I personally am not comfortable with that even thou I am a mere 53 years young

But you have no idea if T1 or T2 and how well controlled they were..

I think you are overly worrying yourself ..

How many 70+ year old Italians are diabetic anyway (and mostly they'd be T2 ..... all that pasta!) ?

Reactions: jjraak and Paulm80

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But you have no idea if T1 or T2 and how well controlled they were..

I think you are overly worrying yourself ..

How many 70+ year old Italians are diabetic anyway (and mostly they'd be T2 ..... all that pasta!) ?
The point is that when we get ill our numbers go up.

Non diabetics don't have that problem.

Even temporary higher numbers put us at greater risk. It's not rocket science.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The point is that when we get ill our numbers go up.

Non diabetics don't have that problem.

Even temporary higher numbers put us at greater risk. It's not rocket science.

Even more reason to keep them as low as possible with diet as a protective measure then?

Reactions: jjraak

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I do hope there are not too many older diabetics on here.....they are doomed

Reactions: KK123