Diabetic paranoia

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A feeling has been coming over me for while now - I know that regular testing -before meals and during exercise etc is wise, provides feedback and knowledge bit, I can't help feeling I'm becoming a bit obsessive about it all and it's getting in the way of my enjoyment of activity. My dad was diagnosed at 15 in 1959 during his 20s and 30s he sailed actively and also won several rowing competitions. He would not have had a bg meter with him for sure. Now I'm not saying I want to go back to that- but I'm feeling I need to relax a bit. For example if I feel good I've not got active insulin on board I'm not driving - perhaps just run?( I am type 1) I just feel that if I test right before it will have such a psychological impact on me

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is a totally important topic i feel for many if not most of us ........ i am of that generation where the only testing was urine ( and to be honest not accurate )

these days we can know what our BG is doing in continuous time , have pumps that will automatically adjust our background insulin to compensate ( closed loop ) and information and other medications to control potential complications are real life savers

---- for me having lived through that and luckily am still alive after 46 years T1d -- i think the knowing and ability to correct quicker and more efficiently is enabling me to live well beyond what doctors predicted for me back in 1972
so i am sorta happy to be obsessed by all this info

i realise we are all different and you must do what works for you

Reactions: Bon83 and EllieM

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I can see both sides of this. I spent years hardly testing, never giving D a thought and winging it, and my health gradually declined. Now I have all the toys, I’m constantly aware of it in a way I never was before, but feel fantastic because my levels are where they should be. So yes I think about it a lot more, but it’s opened up life to me in a way I never thought possible.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Like you I had a T1 parent. My mother died at 78 in 2012 and I'm pretty sure it was the smoking that killed her, not the diabetes (she finally managed to quit when she was 70 but it was twenty or thirty years too late). I've had varying levels of control during my 49 years of T1, and varying levels of testing. (Eight months of self funded libre was awesome but I became allergic to the sensor and am now back to finger pricks. I also lose hypo awareness once my hba1c goes too low....)

So.... if you don't test before running, what's going to happen
1) nothing (hopefully)
2) you go too low. I assume you carry glucose? If you've got hypo awareness it hopefully shouldn't be much of an issue. Start feeling a bit shaky and knock back some glucose.
3) You go to high from the stress of running. Correct next time you inject before a meal?

You have to strike a balance that you can live with. What's right for you may not be right for someone else. Personally, I loathe hypos with a passion, plus I know I'll lose awareness if I have them too often, so I do usually/often test before exercise. But I've had years in the past when I tested far far less often, and just lived with the hypos (and the hypers :)). I tend not to think about levels unless I'm injecting./carb counting.

Give it another few years and most T1s may have a cgm, which will take off the hypo pressure. The technology will be there to help us, and hopefully not rule us. Modern insulin regimes allow us to inject for what we eat and do, rather than having to have our actions ruled by our injections (well, that's the theory even if it doesn't always work :)).

Those of us posting on these boards tend be to self selecting - I'm pretty sure we do a lot more testing than the average T1 at a diabetic clinic. And we think about diabetes quite a bit. Plenty of folk manage to attain reasonable diabetic control without testing ten times a day, they just won't be posting much on these forums.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes you can ignore it more than other times? I have a pump and CGM so I do have a tendency to monitor my BG consistently. Right now I'm very happy knowing. But I remember when I first got them and was talking to my endo I told her that it feels like I'm being obsessive about watching it all the time and I'm trying to not be so obsessive. She replied yes and nodded, she's a type 1 too and said you have to find a happy medium.

So that's just it, you have to find the happy medium, but make no mistake we can never completely walk away from this disease and because of the tools we have now our life expectancy is almost normal.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sometimes you can ignore it more than other times? I have a pump and CGM so I do have a tendency to monitor my BG consistently. Right now I'm very happy knowing. But I remember when I first got them and was talking to my endo I told her that it feels like I'm being obsessive about watching it all the time and I'm trying to not be so obsessive. She replied yes and nodded, she's a type 1 too and said you have to find a happy medium.

So that's just it, you have to find the happy medium, but make no mistake we can never completely walk away from this disease and because of the tools we have now our life expectancy is almost normal.
Absolutely. When I first had CGM I’d obsess over it a bit, but now, looking at my watch to check my BG is as automatic as glancing at the speedo when I’m driving. Actually, driving a car isn’t a bad analogy for my own diabetes these days - to get where I need to be (say, to the end of the day in range) - I need to brake, accelerate, change gear, and I do most of that without giving it much thought and no resentment. With diabetes I glance at my speedo, add a bit of insulin, add a bit of carb, just keep things ticking over. I’m not explaining it very well, because it’s early and I have t had enough coffee, but I hope you get the gist!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for taking the time to share your feelings and experiences it is much appreciated. I think actually what was underlying in my feelings was a bit of a desire for just being free - some friends of mine are doing some big run challenges this year and I would like to next year. I guess I was jealous how they can throw a banana down and just set off running. Diabetes demands a bit more input. Most of the time I view bg management as just another part of life - I guess lately it's been hard to get right, and a bit too much to handle. Thanks again

Reactions: himtoo

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I understand that! It does make it harder to do certain things, I like to snorkel, I have to take ginger candy in a sealed watertight container with me, I have to make sure every thing is safe left in the car, (my CGM, PDM) And then when I'm snorkeling when I get tired or a headache I worry I'm having a low and have to swim back to shore or eat candy etc etc etc.

My husband just puts on his swimsuit and grabs a towel and goes.....................

Last edited:
Reactions: Bon83