Diabetic Review Harrassment by GP

EMG

So I've been diabetic T1 for 38years - since 2years old - been through the whole lot from boiling glass syringe days to modern 4 injections a day stuff. Have always been independant - diabetes is no excuse type of parents etc. Work full time have 2 kids drive etc - so why are modern day GP's constantly harassing me? - they insist on reviewing my insulin asking for blood tests etc - I dont have the time and I really can't be bothered I'm diabetic so what get over it! Give me my prescriptions let me get on with it why are they making such a big deal these days? It's not like they're ever going to cure me I can't take time off work to pander to their care statistics etc. If I was out of control I could understand it but I'm not - So do I have the nerve to tell them to leave me alone and go bother someone who wants it? I think I might have to!

Hilary52

My doctor is the same until we had a frank discussion where he admitted that after having type 1 for 35 years and being quite independent I knew more about diabetes than he did. I just go to the hospital once a year for blood tests and eye and feet checks. I am happy with this and it saves unnecessary appointment with GP !!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well said ! Your take on diabetes certainly won't suit all but I like your strength and outlook. You clearly know your own body and how to deal with it and won't let diabetes control your life. I actually think there are too many "poor me" people with the illness who spend too much time complaining about their complications or their care providers. Sometimes, you just have to accept it and deal with it ! Life goes on !

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Its all to to with their income from patients treated and absolutely nothing to do with us the patient dealing with diabetes.
This really winds me up and I've come to an agreement with my GP .. he will have me in for testing and a full feet-and-all review once every 12 months inc eye scan. Part of that agreement was dropping in my accumulated home testing strip results every 12 weeks together with my BP chart. I only actually consult a doc face to face other than that if I feel the need and only then. He still gets his payments and I have my freedom... :D

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Though I am type 2, I found that its the opposite for me, get the impression they don't care about type 2's. If I did not make my own appointments I don't think they would ask me to come in for a review.

Its only since some thing went wrong and a concerned nurse, that they are taking a tiny bit of interest, they told me to only test when I felt off colour, which probally lead to my current problems which have going on for a while, as BS levels slowly crept up.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
EMG said:
So I've been diabetic T1 for 38years - since 2years old - been through the whole lot from boiling glass syringe days to modern 4 injections a day stuff. Have always been independant - diabetes is no excuse type of parents etc. Work full time have 2 kids drive etc - so why are modern day GP's constantly harassing me? - they insist on reviewing my insulin asking for blood tests etc - I dont have the time and I really can't be bothered I'm diabetic so what get over it! Give me my prescriptions let me get on with it why are they making such a big deal these days? It's not like they're ever going to cure me I can't take time off work to pander to their care statistics etc. If I was out of control I could understand it but I'm not - So do I have the nerve to tell them to leave me alone and go bother someone who wants it? I think I might have to!

As a driver you need to have an annual review of your bloods for DVLA purposes, if you didn't attend and just wanted to go your own way they would take a very dim view of things and may withdraw your driving license, they can at anytime write to your gp or diabetes consultant to ask for latest bloods and an update on your diabetes control.....so be warned!!!

If your gp is requesting that you attend more often than annually and you feel this isn't necessary then tell them so, provided all is well and you or they don't have any concerns then once a year is enough IMHO.

I go for my reviews every 9 months but this is my own choosing, I feel regular checks are great as it's important to check for any changes in kidney function and cholesterol levels etc.

blackcat79

To OP
I feel that ur post is a little offish. Yes to u whi had it for many year it msy not b a problem n to others on ur post. But for some people like myself who have only been dealing with it a very short time who have been able to get control n feell scared so ill with high BS all day its not as clear cut to say " i have diabetes get over it" . I for one its making my life hell n hsve spend last 4 weeks on the sick from work n bugging my gp to help with finally get to go see clinic this wk as on low carb diet 60 g a day n max dose of meds yet my reading r going up. I spend most of my day at 13+ with highs of 24!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
To be fair, OP never suggested it was easy for everyone or that we should all follow her lead. She just stated that she feels she is in control of her own body and does not need numerous GP visits/tests etc. There will always be those that struggle, diversity is what makes this forum work.

Rosalind13

To PAV, I think you are right about Type 2 diabetics being viewed as a kind of underclass. I am Type 1 and noticed that when my father-in-law was diagnosed with Type 2 the level of training and support was very poor ( Chelmsford area). I think it's scandalous that people are having to alter a lifetime of eating habits in such confusion and bewilderment.