Diabetic skin

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen a couple of posts about skin moisturizing, but wanted to see whether anyone had specific advice about caring for diabetic skin. I'm newly diagnosed and have generally had pretty good skin for most of my life (apart from the odd teenage monster), when pre-diagnosis I had slightly drier skin, especially on the back of my hands, but I thought it due to the hot climate (I'm working abroad at the moment).

I had a bit of what looked like eczema for a day or so, but got Bio-oil and started using that on a daily basis, and the eczema cleared up. That's great and the bio-oil does seem to do the job, but I'm getting scratchy skin quite a bit, and wondering whether anyone had any tips or advice on skin care for type ones. I'm waiting on my latest h1Ac, which should be down from the terrifying 14 it was on admission, which will help with skin moisture levels, but I'm wondering if there's any creams, lotions or whatnot that anyone would recommend. Don't want to end up like a prune with no feets! :wink:

Katharine

People who have diabetes can have a wide variety of skin complaints. Simple dryness is relatively easily helped.

You can add oil to your bath water. It goes on your skin well but does make it harder to clean the bath!

Cetaphil is a very pleasant soap which doesn't dry the skin out.

Aloe vera gel or aloe containing creams is very soothing. Shea butter is good too but can be pricey.

My hands are dry a lot because I'm always washing them. Putting moisturiser on your hands and feet before bed may work best because the contact time is longer.

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks katherine!

Will get my hands on cetaphil. I love shea butter, but it can be expensive. Smells fabulous and is great for moisturizing.

I've also been using Jergens healing moisture cream, in the american bottles. I think the stuff in the UK is a bit ******, but this type is very creamy and excellent for dry spots - even the hands. I hate having to wash my hands so much as it totally dries them out, but swine flu / basic hygeine must come first.

What kind of oil have you put in your bath?

howie

diabetic skin??? reminds me of my post on diabetic feet.

unless you've had DB for years of bad control or currently have bad control then why should you have DB skin???

sure i have a bit of dry hands and lips during the winter but i had that pre DB. i know we should take extra care of ourselves but surely when your control returns to normal so should your skin? right?

all best,
howie

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my control has been pretty good since diagnosis, but I've never had eczema before so I thinking it might be connected to the diabetes doesn't seem too outrageous a thought. Being more careful of it in tandem with keeping BG levels down seems like a good idea, no?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Becca.

There is some research which does lend credence to the theory that Diabetes and Eczema are somehow connected. Have a read of this recent article.
http://www.genengnews.com/news/bnitem.a ... e=51791494

Here is an extract:
Scientists at UC San Diego (UCSD) have uncovered what appears to be a crucial biochemical link between diabetes and eczema, previously thought to be two completely unrelated diseases. The researchers report that caspase 8, a protein previously linked only to cell death, plays a critical role in the healing of wounds in laboratory mice. The protein is deficient in humans with eczema, but produced in excess amounts by diabetics.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have a couple of body moisturisers designed for babies and they are GRREEAATT!!!
For the face, Aldi and Lidl sell brilliant moisture creams. Beat the £200 a pot stuff in blind tests. Cost under £2 per pot.
Hana

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! The science has me stumped I must admit.

Am going to stock up on baby lotions and creams, which sounds like a great idea - thanks Hana. Don't think I can afford a life time's supply of £200 ointments unless I win the lottery. :)

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Becca,
I have suffered sandpaper-like elbows for a long time and tried everything from moisturisers to savlon, but nothing helped and it was driving me mad as it was getting quite painful.
Recently my sister bought me Avon's Planet Spa African Shea Butter foot and elbow cream, and my elbows are now as smooth as a baby's bottom! I also use it on my hands overnight, and it's great. I know Asda also do some products with Shea Butter,so it needn't be expensive-I'd stick with it.
The Avon one smells quite creamy and chocolatey, my husband's always moaning about me smelling like a bar of chocolate at bedtime! I don't scratch him with my elbows anymore, so he should think himself lucky :D
Jus