Diabetic socks

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I am T2 and suffering with neuropathy in my feet tingling, burning and occasional pain. I've seen diabetic socks advertised. Does anyone have experience of these, or are they just a gimmick?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't buy specific 'diabetic socks' but I do get (what I consider to be) decent ones. I usually buy ski socks as I find they're the most comfy. I need to avoid anything too tight round the ankle and anything that going to rub. In fact with the ski socks I chop the top three inches off, the elasticated section that can be restricting. (I also have blood flow problems).
I also buy decent quality shoes / walking boots, all one size too big.

It's trial and error really but there is something here that may help you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I regard them as a gimmick. Where's the science behind them?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I buy gentle Grip socks as they have no elastic and I no longer get those painful deep grooves around my lower leg/ankle area.

Reactions: lessci and Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I kept the socks that they gave me in hospital since they are not elasticated, but stay on quite well and are not restrictive. They have a rubber weave in them that acts as a non slip surface which is a nice safety feature when paddling out to the loo in the middle of the night.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I buy socks without an elastic band and am very happy because ordinary socks overstretch my legs too much

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the “gimmick” is that they have flat seams so as not to rub and no tight elastic to cut off potentially compromised circulation. So if whatever socks you choose have these features the labels becomes redundant. Personally I’ve discovered bamboo socks/underwear and love them. Tk max do some reasonable priced ones much of the time, also online

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2 and suffering with neuropathy in my feet tingling, burning and occasional pain. I've seen diabetic socks advertised. Does anyone have experience of these, or are they just a gimmick?
By chance my wife bought me some diabetic and circulatory socks from a market stall in Kendal. One wearing only but they seem very comfy and not restricted.
Looking on the internet, the same ones are being offered on Ebay
Worth a try at that price.
They are pretty light weigh so suitable for summer I would think.

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
Simply, any pair of socks made of 100% cotton and does not prevent blood circulation is good for a person with diabetes no matter what they are called as a marketing gimmick.

The actual, technically called, diabetic socks with silver is not necessary unless one has further complications.

Diabetic neuropathy in feet is common with diabetes and one does not need to experience tingling, burning and particularly even occasional pain if an Neurologist is visited and to be followed-up and through by better management of one's own diabetes, that is keeping the BG levels within range as been told by the Endo Dr. during each visit.